SuperFerry out - ArmyFerry in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperFerry out - ArmyFerry in

Hawaii might still get a high speed water transportation vessel(s). This time, the discussion is courtesy of the military.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ased+in+Hawaii

The Army said it plans to look at the environmental impact of basing up to three "joint high-speed vessels" in Pearl Harbor — speedy craft capable of carrying large loads, similar to the defunct Hawaii Superferry's ships.

The Army published a notice in the Federal Register on Friday saying it would conduct a programmatic environmental impact statement analysis of basing up to 12 joint high-speed vessels at five locations.

The environmental analysis will consider the impacts of stationing the Army catamarans in the Virginia Tidewater area; San Diego; Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.; the Pearl Harbor area; and Guam.

High-speed vessel detachments consist of a 31-member crew and can accommodate up to 360 additional soldiers. The vessels can reach speeds of 35 to 45 knots (40 to 51 mph) and have an equipment carrying capacity of about 700 short tons.

The vessels will require fueling-at-sea training; helicopter training; live-fire training; and high-speed, open-water training, the Army said.

SuperFerry out - ArmyFerry in.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: SuperFerry out - ArmyFerry in

This was the alleged ulterior motive of the HSF in the first place.

Those "crazy hippies" on Kauai don't look so crazy right now.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

So was the Nimitz overpass and the H3 freeway. Include the Reef Runway as the alternate landing site for the space shuttle and you got an entire governmental/military infrastructure embedded on Oahu.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        So was the Nimitz overpass and the H3 freeway. Include the Reef Runway as the alternate landing site for the space shuttle and you got an entire governmental/military infrastructure embedded on Oahu.
        Good point! Actually, the entire interstate freeway system (H-1, H-2, H-3) was built with federal dollars with the idea of connecting the military bases. But of course, the vast majority of the users are civies.

Heck, looking at the big picture, many of the things that we take for granted today was originally developed and researched primarily for military use. But it's benefits eventually trickled down to the general public. This would include this thing called "the internet."

So, are all those "military is evil" hippies going to start giving up the internet? My instincts are telling me not to hold my breath.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          This would include this thing called "the internet."
          How did Al Gore get into this conversation ...
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Go, ArmyFerry, go! To ALL the islands!
            But don't miss the chance to take civilians, too...gotta subsidize the feds!

(ummm, where else they gonna go, anyway?)

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Hawaii might still get a high speed water transportation vessel(s). This time, the discussion is courtesy of the military.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ased+in+Hawaii
              Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              This was the alleged ulterior motive of the HSF in the first place.

Those "crazy hippies" on Kauai don't look so crazy right now.
              No kidding, Mike. I announced the ArmyFerry more than six months ago. I’m glad Amati finally got the memo. Incidentally, this removes any doubt that the two Superferrys were military prototypes financed with military-industrial complex cash (and state taxpayers). Thanks for playing.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                No kidding, Mike. I announced the ArmyFerry more than six months ago. I’m glad Amati finally got the memo. Incidentally, this removes any doubt that the two Superferrys were military prototypes financed with military-industrial complex cash (and state taxpayers). Thanks for playing.
                I'm gonna sit back and see how the ArmyFerry plays out from here on in. Will it carry those darned Strykers between the islands? Is it a Trojan Horse to bring the HSF back? One thing for sure, it'll be one of the more conspicuous legacies of Lingle's governorship.

*sets up lemonade stand*

flickr

Comment

TuNnL - I'm trying to send you a PM, but your box is full.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    Incidentally, this removes any doubt that the two Superferrys were military prototypes financed with military-industrial complex cash (and state taxpayers).
                    I grant you state funds were used to pay for stuff that allowed the Superferry to dock here, but was any state funds used to construct the vessel?

Plus the Army is going to get new vessels. If they end up with the original two vessels it's only because they couldn't find a use for them.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      Plus the Army is going to get new vessels. If they end up with the original two vessels it's only because they couldn't find a use for them.
                      The HSVs have been hanging around for a while-- one may still be in Pearl Harbor-- and were built to military specs. One of the builders is the same company that built the SuperFerry craft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austal#...sel_.28JHSV.29
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV-2_Swift

The HSVs have a lot of military design that might not be present in the Alakai, and it's generally an expensive pain to buy and then "militarize" a commercial vessel. Army's been operating watercraft for a while so I doubt they'd be suckered into taking back the Alakai, although I have no doubt that Lehman will give it his best good-ol'-boy-network attempt. I'm not a Lehman fan.
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

On a midweek sailing trip I saw military testing of a prototype on the back side of the Channel Islands off Southernn California in the early 1990s.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Go, ArmyFerry, go! To ALL the islands!
                          But don't miss the chance to take civilians, too...gotta subsidize the feds!
                          (ummm, where else they gonna go, anyway?)
                          For what?
                          What has the military done for Hawaii in the last few decades that has greatly benefited the state other than $ from troop's pockets?

Massive polluters, stolen lands, lethal residuals from explosives, remaining ordinence waiting to kill/maim. What's to love?
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            For what?
                            What has the military done for Hawaii in the last few decades that has greatly benefited the state other than $ from troop's pockets?

Massive polluters, stolen lands, lethal residuals from explosives, remaining ordinence waiting to kill/maim. What's to love?
                            This.

Quoted for truth.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                              TuNnL - I'm trying to send you a PM, but your box is full.
                              Sorry, that box fills up quick. I cleared it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X