Clear All

Re: SuperFerry out - ArmyFerry in

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Wait no longer, joshuatree...

Isle home possible for past Superferry
    The Pentagon has considered basing a converted carrier at Pearl Harbor

By William Cole
    POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 28, 2012
    Oh wow, so I was wrong, it was one giant, near decade long, elaborate plan to get one of the vessels into military service here and another to replace Westpac Express which already has the same proven design for any prototyping needed......after some modifications and retrofit still needed, almost 3 years after last ferry service. Guess all those protesters and courts were all agents of the military too. Also nevermind that USNS Spearhead has a more identical profile to Westpac Express. Irony is, you now potentially have one of them crossing island waters with no need for whale lookouts or EISs or anything.

Whatever victory this was for Hawaii and its residents, I certainly don't know.

Btw, the link you posted, there appears to be a segment not posted in your quote.

"All that's certain is that one of the former passenger catamarans will not be operating out of Hawaii in the near future...."????

Comment

From The Garden Island online newspaper [my bolds]:

About $40 million in statewide harbor improvements — from state revenue bonds that are still being paid — is currently being sold in an auction for a fraction of the original cost. “The $250,000 is the upset price. Of course, we are hoping we can get as much money back as possible,” said Caroline Sluyter, spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation. She added the upset price is set by market conditions.
      All of the equipment in harbors on Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island is to be sold as one lot. There are ramps, stairs, light poles, forklift extenders, chains, cables, sealed crates and three large barges. Two barges measure 269 feet each, and a third one measures 193 feet. The barges have “been sitting out there for a while,” and have “aged,” according to Sluyter.
      As for the Alakai and Huakai ships:

In December 2010, the U.S. Department of Transportation Maritime Administration gained the title to both ships through foreclosure. MARAD had given a loan guarantee of nearly $140 million for the construction of the boats, which originally cost $178 million. When MARAD acquired the ships, $50 million of its loan guarantee was reduced, according to the Professional Mariner website.
      In January 2012, the Navy paid MARAD $35 million for both ships. (The Alakai had been delivered and used in Hawaii waters, the Huakai was built but not used here.) According to the article, The Alakai is now the USNS Puerto Rico, and the Huakai is now the USNS Guam.

The ferry idea is dead, I guess that I'll need to join the military if I ever expect to be transported by either of those ships.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Gov. A is said to be moving towards getting both vessels back to HI.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
        X