Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing businesses

E kala mai if this should be in an existing thread

Noticed that Bestsellers book store on the Hotel St side of Bishop Square complex is closing - lost their lease.

Also, Ian Lind mentions today he's learned that Wong's Drapery Shoppe has closed (Beretania near Ke`eaumoku).

Re: Disappearing businesses

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    [...]
    Also, Ian Lind mentions today he's learned that Wong's Drapery Shoppe has closed (Beretania near Ke`eaumoku).
    Oh...POOP! I was headed their way once the 2 projects I'm working on are pau. Such great customer service. Sorry to see them go after so many years.

Comment

A lone commenter on Ian's site stated that Wong's had closed, but then posted again to say he called the store and that they are in fact STILL OPEN.

Comment

Yeah, I drove by there on the way home last night (6-ish) and the lights were on . . .

Comment

I'm sad about BestSellers Book Store. They are the only book store downtown, great service, and a postal annex inside where you could ship stuff = much more convenient that going all the way to the post office. They lost their magazine distributor some time ago and just seemed to fade after that. I will be very sad to see them go.

Hopefully, Bishop Square will see the wisdom of putting another book store in their place.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Coming back from my morning run, I noticed that Blockbuster Video on Piikoi Street near Ala Moana Center is closing. It was the first Blockbuster store to open in Hawaii. I'm sure there will be more Blockbuster closings.

But for now, everything is on sale! The sign says 7.99, which is pretty pricey for a closing, but I'm sure it will come down lower and lower as the weeks go by. So if you're in the market for some cheap DVDs or video games, this might be a good place to explore.

Comment

Wonder if it's in anticipation of bankruptcy filing, which has been much discussed in the papers this week.

Comment

I was in Kahala mid day last week and Blockbuster on Hunakai/Waialae looked dark. No cars in the parking lot either. Or, did I miss a previous mention about this store?!!

As an (off topic) aside...this piece of property was previously home to Barry's Union 76 station...the epitome of the friendly, customer service oriented, neighborhood service station. I still miss that place.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  As an (off topic) aside...this piece of property was previously home to Barry's Union 76 station...the epitome of the friendly, customer service oriented, neighborhood service station. I still miss that place.
                  If you ever got gas there during the graveyard shift during what would have been the UH-M fall semester in 1988, we almost certainly met long before we knew each other. I worked there for about five months while suspended from school. Barry was a really good guy; one of the few successful businessmen I ever worked for whom I really respected as a person AND business owner.

I don't know what used to be here on Waiakamilo near Dillingham, but I have walked or driven past it a million times, and now it's gone. Just a really cool-looking empty building, available for lease now.
                  Attached Files
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    If you ever got gas there during the graveyard shift during what would have been the UH-M fall semester in 1988, we almost certainly met long before we knew each other. I worked there for about five months while suspended from school. Barry was a really good guy; one of the few successful businessmen I ever worked for whom I really respected as a person AND business owner.
                    I doubt that I was there that late! But happy to hear a former employee verify my observations. Kelly, his daughter, also worked there. Whatta sweetheart. I'll never forget lending my college age daughter my car (my Porsche years!) when she was home on break. Kelly was on the No. Shore and saw my car with my daughter behind the wheel. Kelly called me asking if I knew about it! Good thing Michele had permission 'cuz Kelly would've ratted her out! A few years previous, same daughter had the family station wagon when she got a flat tire near her school. I was on location and couldn't leave so I called Barry. He immediately got in his car and helped her out. Wow. This is making me so nostalgic!

After Barry's station was vacated, the property was enclosed with a chain link fence. Then, Barry passed away and that fence became a shrine to him with flowers placed in almost every puka. It was a testament to the love the entire Kahala neighborhood had for him. And, other neighborhoods, too, I'm sure.
                    I don't know what used to be here on Waiakamilo near Dillingham, but I have walked or driven past it a million times, and now it's gone. Just a really cool-looking empty building, available for lease now.
                    Edwards Enterprise...a print shop. They've moved to Puuhale Rd.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Kelly, his daughter, also worked there. Whatta sweetheart.
                      She was hot, too. And a former HBA student before my time there. Don't know if she graduated there.

Barry's mechanic when I was there was named Steve (I think) and he was also top-of-the-line. I learned a lot about how to communicate competence and competently from Steve.

Several years ago, I wrote a short story based on my time there and received an honorable mention in the Honolulu Magazine fiction contest. Most of the story was made up, but the flavor of it was all what I remember of my experience.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[...]
                        Several years ago, I wrote a short story based on my time there and received an honorable mention in the Honolulu Magazine fiction contest. Most of the story was made up, but the flavor of it was all what I remember of my experience.
                        Is it posted anywhere? I'd love to read it.

Comment

That was the former home of Edwards Enterprises, a professional printing company. They've relocated over to 240 Puuhale Road.

Comment

Perry's Smorgy in Waikiki closed this weekend:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ing_doors.html

Anyone know how many years it was in business?

Comment

Is Diamond Head Video on Kalakaua closing? There's a banner on the store with the word "closing" on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X