Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disappearing businesses

All video stores will close.
    Land line telephone companies are struggling.
    Land line cable companies will die within 10 years.
    Land line power companies will be kaput within 30 years.

The Grid is on the way out.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

RIP, Honolulu Symphony

After 110 years, the Honolulu Symphony officially closed down late last night, according to a Breaking News item on the StarAdvertiser website.
      Major bummer.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

My legs are doing a happy dance, but the rest of me asks if a major city can't keep their symphony running well, what's wrong with this picture?
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

why would you be happy about the end of Honolulu Symphony? they were wonderful!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            After 110 years, the Honolulu Symphony officially closed down late last night, according to a Breaking News item on the StarAdvertiser website.
            Major bummer.
            The Honolulu Symphony's demise is a bummer..... but not necessarily the end for classical music in this city.

Hawaii News Now

"Well, I wouldn't say 'R.I.P. a symphony,'" said Musicians Union President Brien Matson. "I don't know about the Honolulu Symphony itself, the name itself. But there are still musicians here, and obviously there's community interest in a symphony."

"We think that this provides an opportunity for new leadership with a real vision of what a professional symphony orchestra is, to come forward and finally produce that for the community," Parrish said.
            So there's some optimism for a new orchestra to rise out of the ashes of the now-defunct Honolulu Symphony. But I wonder if you'll continue to hear the same positive tones from Matson and Parrish if a new orchestra is able to emerge,..... but with non-union musicians.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              The Honolulu Symphony's demise is a bummer ..... but not necessarily the end for classical music in this city.
              I sure hope you're right about that.

Interesting that Ben's article has something about responding to "RIP the symphony," which as far as I know is a phrase that wasn't used anywhere else except in the title of my post #17 above. We know many local media folk lurk here in HT. Ben, step up and say Howzit!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                ... if a new orchestra is able to emerge,..... but with non-union musicians.
                Or do as they did here in Seattle many years ago: the Symphony & Opera musicians all left the American Federation of Musicians and formed their own union (Seattle Symphony & Opera Players' Organization).

This has opened up countless opportunities for them to negotiate more flexibly, and has made the Seattle Symphony a top ensemble for film soundtrack work. They are cheaper than the L.A.-based musicians, they have a reputation for being top-notch sight-readers, and there are recording companies here that specialize in doing orchestral sessions. The SSO often does film scores without credit, so you've likely heard them at some point; they are affordable for smaller-budget and indie films, but they've also done big ones (like "Mr. Holland's Opus").

They have released more than 80 recordings in the past 20 years. Unique to the group is the fact that the union has no paid employees. Members who perform various functions, from negotiating contracts to providing food for monthly business meetings, do so voluntarily. Even the chairperson is unpaid.

The costs of doing business in Honolulu might prevent film work from being a major option - but the union-restructuring might still be something to consider; creative folks tend to come up with creative solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  the Symphony & Opera musicians all left the American Federation of Musicians and formed their own union (Seattle Symphony & Opera Players' Organization).

This has opened up countless opportunities for them to negotiate more flexibly, and has made the Seattle Symphony a top ensemble for film soundtrack work.

The costs of doing business in Honolulu might prevent film work from being a major option - but the union-restructuring might still be something to consider; creative folks tend to come up with creative solutions.
                  Whatever plan is implemented to revive a symphony orchestra here (no union, different union, whatever), flexibility and restructuring will be the key ingredients towards creating long-term sustainability. These changes may be too much for some of the musicians to accept and they will threaten to take their services elsewhere.... to which I would say, "Adios, good luck." And then, go out and look for the most talented replacements available who have both a passion for music..... and living in Hawaii.

Just over a year ago, I posted about the possibility for the local symphony to be augmented by talented, capable non-professional musicians living in the community. And the negative response to that idea? It would not be acceptable to the Musicians Union. But now that Chap. 7 bankruptcy has hit everyone between the eyes, will the union now sing a different tune? (Pardon the pun.)

The Symphony's official site offers an interesting perspective on how their organization managed to survive for over a century.

Founded in 1900, the Honolulu Symphony claims the distinction of being the oldest American orchestra west of the Rocky Mountains!

The Honolulu Symphony has undergone a series of transformations over the course of its first century, responding to the challenges and opportunities of the times.
                  Yep, an organization like the Symphony doesn't survive for over a 100 years without being able to adapt to the times and changing circumstances.

It has endured two World Wars, the Great Depression, financial crises, and changing musical and cultural fashions.
                  Very true. Prior to bankruptcy, the only thing able to silence the Honolulu Symphony was the Musicians Union strike of 1993.

Hmmm, there we go with the union again.

The orchestra of professional musicians that performs today on the stage of the Blaisdell Center Concert Hall may bear little resemblance to the first group of amateur musicians which met in a clubhouse on the slopes of Punchbowl nearly 107 years ago.
                  Amateurs playing with pros in the Honolulu Symphony? Absolute BLASPHEMY, as far as the Musicians Union is concerned. And yet, it was amateurs in the community who created the venerable orchestra that the present-day musicians are now privileged to be a part of.

However, one thing remains constant, the mission of the Honolulu Symphony is to enhance the quality of life of the people of Hawaii by sustaining a symphony orchestra of the highest artistic quality.
                  It's too bad that somewhere along the way, that noble mission has been derailed by bickering between labor and management, with both sides seemingly oblivious to the restructuring and changes needed in order to survive into a 21st century world.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How about the people who like listening to live Mozart?

Comment

The Pipeline Cafe is closing in February.

Comment

I had some fun there, too bad it's ending, we don't have enuf venues of that sort. Of course we don't have the cool shows like we used to either...
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          The Pipeline Cafe is closing in February.
                          Looks like they dug their own grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Is Diamond Head Video on Kalakaua closing? There's a banner on the store with the word "closing" on it.
                            I tried to go to Diamond Head Video on Queen Street found out it was closed and then on Kalakaua is closed too. Sad. Doesn't matter if its a local video rental place like these guys or a national chain like Blockbuster, all will be out of business because people don't want to leave their house anymore to get something when you can download it or get it delivered in the mailbox.

Comment

Pets Discount store in Kaneohe closed a couple of days ago. It was on Kam Highway on the same block as the Kaneohe fire station.
                              Bummer. I used to love going in there, as they not only had supplies but also had live pets and actually allowed you to hold the pets and get some love.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                I had some fun there, too bad it's ending, we don't have enuf venues of that sort. Of course we don't have the cool shows like we used to either...
                                Meh. One live music venue closes, another soon takes its place, as even Pipeline's owner knows all too well.

Comment

Working...
                                X