Disappearing businesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disappearing businesses

I do most of my shopping online - clothes, household, books etc. I buy cosmetics & skincare at Nordstrom because it is convenient to the bus stop. If Sears was located there instead and had the brands I use, the quality of products and the same level of customer service, I would shop there instead. They aren't and they don't.

Personally, I don't like shopping at malls - especially Ala Moana. Its too big, too crowded and way too expensive for my budget. I'd much rather go to the smaller stores like what I can find at Ward or in Kapahulu or Kaimuki. but, because I don't get around so good anymore, I do most of my shopping online. and most of the places I order from have free shipping. I guess bottom line is that I really don't like shopping.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Hang on it is only the Sears at Ala Moana that is closing down. The other Sears locations at Windward Mall and Pearlridge Shopping Center will still be there?
      Yes, for now. But in the distant future, I don't think the outlook for the Sears chain nationally is good. It will one day go the way of Woolworth's and Kress.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I will miss Sears at Ala Moana. As a middle-aged professional of livable-but-still-modest means, stores like Penney and Sears have been my go-to for dress shirts and pants, not to mention advice about shirts and pants. I'm fashion-clueless, and the people at both department stores have always been able to help me out without making me feel like an idiot.
        I hear 'ya. I'm not young anymore. Certainly no longer buying the "dress to impress" nightclub stuff. I just can't relate to most of the stores at AMC anymore. Sears is my go-to for work day clothes. And when I did compare for things like Dockers pants, Sears had a better price.

I'm not really comfortable about shopping for clothes on-line. I'm sure that's fine if I have things down to a stock number I need to replenish, but not if I'm trying out anything new.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Yes, for now. But in the distant future, I don't think the outlook for the Sears chain nationally is good. It will one day go the way of Woolworth's and Kress.
        This time around the situation is a little different. Instead of a company closing down, the mall owner made a offer they couldn't refuse. It appears that GPP thinks they can do better without Sears.

AMC is somewhat unique in that it caters more to the tourist then most malls. I'd be curious as to what the other malls included in this offer are like. Pearl Ridge and Windward Mall are more resident-oriented.

So while it's possible that this idea will spread to the other property owners, they're situation may be enough different to come up with a different answer. At least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          For one thing, Sears Ala Moana is like a mini-mall all its own, including places where locals still partake. It has an auto center, an Oceanic kiosk where you can pay your bill and get new cable boxes, an optometrist shop, a little ice cream parlor, a mini-mini food court, a tax preparation center, I believe there’s also a florist somewhere, a Starbucks, airline ticket counters (provided the airline still exists), and heaven knows what else! .....
          Don't forget Zippy's which has been a fixture next to the auto center for years.

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Hang on it is only the Sears at Ala Moana that is closing down. The other Sears locations at Windward Mall and Pearlridge Shopping Center will still be there?
          Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          ...This time around the situation is a little different. Instead of a company closing down, the mall owner made a offer they couldn't refuse. It appears that GPP thinks they can do better without Sears.

AMC is somewhat unique in that it caters more to the tourist then most malls. I'd be curious as to what the other malls included in this offer are like. Pearl Ridge and Windward Mall are more resident-oriented.

So while it's possible that this idea will spread to the other property owners, they're situation may be enough different to come up with a different answer. At least for now.
          Actually, this is also a decision Sears mgmt wanted to take. Because of horrible losses, they are looking to raise up to $770 million in cash. The plan includes spinning off 1200 stores to investors, dunno what that means but it sounds different than the 11 including AMC store being sold.

I can't think of anything that would turn Sears around anymore. Nothing they sell isn't sold by someone else with a better pricing or service. The Kenmore line is nothing but re-badging of other makes. You can't just thrive on Craftsman.

Comment

This time around the situation is a little different. Instead of a company closing down, the mall owner made a offer they couldn't refuse. It appears that GPP thinks they can do better without Sears.
            Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Actually, this is also a decision Sears mgmt wanted to take. Because of horrible losses, they are looking to raise up to $770 million in cash.
            Correct. This situation involving Sears' lease at AMC does not exist in a vacuum. The chain's corporate HQ is in a bind as far as their cash flow is concerned. With staggering losses that total over $2 billion dollars last quarter and with no other way to raise money, Sears Holdings had no choice but to sell off a number of its stores, including Ala Moana. With the proceeds, they intend to shore up and improve the competitiveness of its remaining locations.

I can't think of anything that would turn Sears around anymore.
            I agree. At this point, this real estate sell-off scheme is throwing good money after bad and postponing the inevitable. The traditional department store model has become a money pit in the current retail landscape.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Actually, this is also a decision Sears mgmt wanted to take. Because of horrible losses, they are looking to raise up to $770 million in cash. The plan includes spinning off 1200 stores to investors, dunno what that means but it sounds different than the 11 including AMC store being sold.
              Maybe a semantics issue. I doubt if this is something Sears wants to do, but given their situation, they have little choice.

I wonder how well AMC was doing for Sears. It's hard for me to read much into the transaction since I'm not sure what exactly Sears owned. Was this a real estate deal or did GGP just pay them to leave?

I can't think of anything that would turn Sears around anymore. Nothing they sell isn't sold by someone else with a better pricing or service. The Kenmore line is nothing but re-badging of other makes. You can't just thrive on Craftsman.
              Well, you can't power the old department store on a single department, but I wouldn't be surprised but what that gets spun off as a successful shop.

As for the rest of Sears, it may be going "back to it's roots" - a mail order catalog. Tower Records, CompUSA and Circuit City still live on as websites.

Comment

I'd be curious as to what the other malls included in this offer are like. Pearl Ridge and Windward Mall are more resident-oriented.
                The WSJ article answers that: "Most of those (ten other locations) are at average malls across the U.S., including Market Place Shopping Center in Champaign, Ill., and Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City, Okla."

Comment

Well, you can't power the old department store on a single department, but I wouldn't be surprised but what that gets spun off as a successful shop.
                  That wouldn't be too far removed from what the parent company of Woolworth's did, when they closed their general merchandise stores, but continue to maintain a retail presence with their Foot Locker division, down to this day.

In Sears' case, I can see successor stores that specialize in home appliances and hardware. But the name and image of those outlets would probably have to distance themselves from the old Sears stores. The name "Sears" and its reputation just doesn't seem to appeal to the younger generation of consumers.

As for the rest of Sears, it may be going "back to it's roots" - a mail order catalog. Tower Records, CompUSA and Circuit City still live on as websites.
                  Possibly. But even there, they shouldn't try to be another Amazon and try to sell everything under the sun. They need to focus on a specialty.

Comment

......In Sears' case, I can see successor stores that specialize in home appliances and hardware. But the name and image of those outlets would probably have to distance themselves from the old Sears stores. The name "Sears" and its reputation just doesn't seem to appeal to the younger generation of consumers. ....
                    They kinda did with OSH, problem is, they already spun it off as a separate entity. I think the head of Sears corp at this point is looking to simply to milk it and fatten his own account because OSH is a profitable venue so spinning it off made no sense for Sears itself.

It would have made sense to run with OSH, expand them outside of its California stronghold and throw the whole Kenmore and Craftsman line into OSH so you have the distance from the old Sears name and you live on like Footlocker is for Woolworths.

Comment

Sad to hear so many busineses going under. Last memory of Ala Moana Shopping Center I have is when I left the ai'na in the late '60's. Long time ago so I can't imagine what it looks like now. But so remember Sears as the anchor at the one end and Longs Drugs next to it. The other anchor store at the time was Liberty House...but then again, I remember the Liberty House in the downtown area (King St.? that area).
                      Last edited by btwnc2c; February 26, 2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

They kinda did with OSH, problem is, they already spun it off as a separate entity. I think the head of Sears corp at this point is looking to simply to milk it and fatten his own account because OSH is a profitable venue so spinning it off made no sense for Sears itself.

It would have made sense to run with OSH, expand them outside of its California stronghold and throw the whole Kenmore and Craftsman line into OSH so you have the distance from the old Sears name and you live on like Footlocker is for Woolworths.
                        Orchard Supply Hardware has a history and reputation in California. But outside of that region, I wonder if that name might be more a hindrance than help, especially if Sears wants to sell appliances there. "Orchard Supply" makes you think of a store that primarily sells things related to farming and gardening,.... which is exactly what OSH did when the business first started, long before they were bought out by Sears.

If Sears wants to start a nationwide chain of hardware/appliance stores, they would be better off with another name.

Comment

Orchard Supply Hardware has a history and reputation in California. But outside of that region, I wonder if that name might be more a hindrance than help, especially if Sears wants to sell appliances there. "Orchard Supply" makes you think of a store that primarily sells things related to farming and gardening,.... which is exactly what OSH did when the business first started, long before they were bought out by Sears.

If Sears wants to start a nationwide chain of hardware/appliance stores, they would be better off with another name.
                          I would have suggested simply contracting the name and making OSH as the official name going forward to help overcome it's farming roots. KFC comes to mind with that marketing play. Orchard Supply actually is known for it's niche market to DIY'ers and known for customer service. Sears doesn't have the resources any more to do a spin off from scratch in my opinion so leaning on OSH's existing rep and network to grow could have been a saving play. Convert smaller and more nimble Sears locations into OSHs, especially in areas void of Lowes and Home Depots. Close down the bigger Sears stores and recoup some money such as the AMC Sears. Hardware and appliances would be the only strong points left of Sears, especially automotive tools. You can't find some of the automotive specialty tools like a gear puller or brake bleeder at Lowes or Home Depot. But again, that opt has passed. I think we're just going to watch a slow and painful death of Sears.

Comment

The name "Sears" and its reputation just doesn't seem to appeal to the younger generation of consumers.
                            Where did Roebuck end up anyway?
                            Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
                            ...but then again, I remember the Liberty House in the downtown area (King St.? that area).
                            I hear tales of that place from the Alpha Female, who worked there back in the '80s - linens department, if I recall.

Comment

I apologize in advance if this is a little too off topic, but:

It is driving me bonkers, but what is the name of the Asian department store at Ala Mona center, that has a decent food court upstairs, and began with an "S", iirc? Great luggage prices, and electronics. . .I feel like the name is on the tip of my tongue. . .grrrrrr! Was it Shirokia??
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                                I apologize in advance if this is a little too off topic, but:

It is driving me bonkers, but what is the name of the Asian department store at Ala Mona center, that has a decent food court upstairs, and began with an "S", iirc? Great luggage prices, and electronics. . .I feel like the name is on the tip of my tongue. . .grrrrrr! Was it Shirokia??
                                I think you mean Shirokiya. Yep, last of its kind actually since the parent company in Japan exists no more.

Comment

Working...
                                X