X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughtful questions... possible answers

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
    Why do dogs feet smell like Fritos?
    Or, why do Fritos smell like dog's feet?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      a beard
      How did Tarzan shave?
      WHY did Tarzan shave (especially before Jane came along)?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        How did Tarzan shave?
        WHY did Tarzan shave (especially before Jane came along)?
        The big question is why did Tarzan shave his legs!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Why did Tarzan wear a loin cloth? Maybe to avoid injuries when swinging through the jungle?
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Why did Tarzan wear a loin cloth? Maybe to avoid injuries when swinging through the jungle?
            I haven't studies all cultures... but of those I have been exposed to (and that's a lot!) I have not seen a culture, no matter how "primitive," that does not use some form of genital covering.

The real question is: why does everyone (including Tarzan but excepting nudists) cover their genitals?
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              I have not seen a culture, no matter how "primitive," that does not use some form of genital covering.
              There were several cultures, primarily in Africa. BUT the local, indigenous population where I live, the Pericues, were completely nude when the Spanish explored the area in the early 1500's. That was changed in short order by the Catholic missionaries.

The current anthropological thinking is that this Pericue culture, which was distinctly different than the "indians" of mainland Mexico and northern Baja, may very well have been immigrants from Hawai'i.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There were several cultures, primarily in Africa. BUT the local, indigenous population where I live, the Pericues, were completely nude when the Spanish explored the area in the early 1500's. That was changed in short order by the Catholic missionaries.

The current anthropological thinking is that this Pericue culture, which was distinctly different than the "indians" of mainland Mexico and northern Baja, may very well have been immigrants from Hawai'i.
                Thank you Mata!
                Another reason to get off my butt and into research again!
                (Hah!)
                get off my computer, woman!

We will be talking at you.... (In his dreams!)

K :-)

Time to turn my computer over to my partner....
                ~ ~

Comment

We visited a museum in Balboa Park a few months ago. One feature was a large mural depicting the building of the first mission by the local indians, all of whom were shown modestly clothed in long white pants and shirts. Near by there was a small sign explaining that the original mural had shown the indians historically accurately, wearing loin cloths, but reality was too horrendous for the powers that were, so the long pants and shirts were added. From what I have read most tribes covered the genitals as a means of protection more than modesty. Of course on some south sea islands women are free to walk bare breasted but custom requires that the ankles be covered. There is a nude beach within an easy drive from here, swimming nude is the only way to go. Yet surfing nude, as free feeling as it is, leaves ugly wax build up in inconvenient er...places. Lets just say nude surfing is not all its cracked up to be.

The note about the Pericues is very interesting!

Comment

Thought about this on the way home yesterday: Sometimes I say "shoots" instead of a plain "okay". But why? What does literal sense of the word have to do with saying okay?

Comment

Nakedness is in the eye of the beholder. I remember a New Guinea population where the men were reported as naked, but subsequent investigation showed the men wore elaborate "penis sheaths," perhaps to enhance their assumed prowess. I forget what the women wore, or didn't.

Back to the Pericue (thanks much Mata - I'm abashed I passed over them, particularly because of their incongruity! Pericue are a fascinating culture with the potential to overthrow many migration theories).

From this report:

"The missionary descriptions indicated that the men were naked and the women wore grass skirts, and they were very tall and slim," Gonzalez added. "They became extinct during the 18th century due to the lifestyle changes imposed by the missionaries to a sedentary way of life."

Other reports have them burning down two missions

"the missions of Santiago and San Jose del Cabo were destroyed by them in the year 1734"

(Perhaps that was the cause of their alleged extinction - see what clothes can make you do? I say "alleged" because individual full-blooded pericue have been reported in modern times.)

DNA samples indicate an origin in SE Asia or Australasia - very similar to Polynesians. Their cranial remains are quite unlike other Amerindian populations.
                      ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                        Thought about this on the way home yesterday: Sometimes I say "shoots" instead of a plain "okay". But why? What does literal sense of the word have to do with saying okay?
                        First thing came to my mind was it may be an acceptable substitute and shorthand for "sh*t, it's no problem" or some such.
                        ~ ~

Comment

I think it's a sort of a pidgin way to say "sure thing" Like when someone says eh we go so and so place and you say shoots we go.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                            Why do dogs feet smell like Fritos?
                            My whole dog smells like Fritos. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that! And I still want to know, why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway. That really bothers me!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                              My whole dog smells like Fritos.
                              Male domestic rats smell like corn chips, while female domestic rats smell like grape soda. Or so I'm told, I've never had a female.
                              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

THOUGHTFUL QUESTION: Why do people text? Isn't it easier just to talk to that person?

POSSIBLE ANSWER: I dunno, maybe I'm just jealous because I can't text as fast as anyone else on this planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X