Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughtful questions... possible answers

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Okay then... Why is it that there is gender discrimination when it comes to hair length?For the most part, women can have their head shaved or long enough to reach the floor and of course anywhere in between and it be acceptable?While men can be shaved to barely shoulder length hair or it'll be thought of as unacceptable in many situations?
    Yep, men are scrutinzed and judged on their hair length. On the flip side (yes, bad pun), working women are practically forbidden from having grey hair. Take a look at any meeting room full of people: mostly short hair on men, and mostly dyed hair on women.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

In undergraduate school I had hair (I'm male) down to my belt. This was the '70's and I had no discrimination.

When I went to graduate school, I was newly married and cut my hair at my betrothed request.

Mostly now it's a 'comfortable' 'easy management' length, though I would never cut it if I didn't need to please others.

I resent gender assignments by society. People should be who they are.
      \And it should be their choice, IMNSHO.

K
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

How come the Earth moves so fast, but we don't even feel it? Weird yeah?!
        velocity=107,300 km/h (or if you prefer 67,062 miles per hour)
        At what speed does the earth move around the sun?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

If it stopped suddenly, your question would be answered.

Comment

velocity=107,300 km/h (or if you prefer 67,062 miles per hour)
            At what speed does the earth move around the sun?
            add to that, approximately 1000 mi/hr rotating on it's axis (at the equator) and you got one fast moving ball. It is weird we don't feel it. Maybe it has something to do with that Newton guy.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
              Maybe it has something to do with that Newton guy.
              Sir Isaac's Most Excellent Idea...
              Now came Newton's truly brilliant insight: if the force of gravity reaches to the top of the highest tree, might it not reach even further; in particular, might it not reach all the way to the orbit of the Moon! Then, the orbit of the Moon about the Earth could be a consequence of the gravitational force, because the acceleration due to gravity could change the velocity of the Moon in just such a way that it followed an orbit around the earth.

Hmmmm?

Anyone with a question to ponder?
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

So...... how come I can buy Maui grown sugar in the raw cheaper in New York than I can in Maui?????

Comment

Why is it that when you ship something it's called cargo, but if you send something by truck, it's called shipment??

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                    So...... how come I can buy Maui grown sugar in the raw cheaper in New York than I can in Maui?????
                    The sugar is probably refined somewhere on the mainland and then shipped back here. Thats been an ongoing problem for years.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      The sugar is probably refined somewhere on the mainland and then shipped back here.
                      Spot on. Raw sugar from HC&S is shipped from Maui to Crockett, CA, for refining, for example.

Comment

Just goes to show ya how expensive it is to live here in Paradise!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Here's a question that has always bothered me. Why do people use "dear" when referring to family members when online, especially in forums? Nobody I know speaks that way in person and it's awkward.
                          Example: DD, DS, DH- dear daughter, dear son, dear husband.

Why can't they just say...my husband...they way they would in real life? I'm actually curious, not trying to bash anyone. For anyone here that might do that, could you tell me the reasoning behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                            Here's a question that has always bothered me. Why do people use "dear" when referring to family members when online, especially in forums? Nobody I know speaks that way in person and it's awkward.

Why can't they just say...my husband...they way they would in real life? I'm actually curious, not trying to bash anyone. For anyone here that might do that, could you tell me the reasoning behind it?

Dear Surlygirly,

Whether it's online, (ie a forum) or in writing in general it's a traditional greeting that is more sincere than a memo (you don't address a recipient in a memo with "dear").

To not put it down hints of insincerity towards the recipent and takes on a more business tone. Basically it's crude not to.

Sincerely,

Craig
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 4, 2010, 08:55 AM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post

Not everyone does. I don't think I do; I usually refer to my spouse by name, my kids via appropriate epithets, and my in-laws very carefully.

Now my dear cats......

K
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Dear Surlygirly,

Whether it's online, (ie a forum) or in writing in general it's a traditional greeting that is more sincere than a memo (you don't address a recipient in a memo with "dear").

To not put it down hints of insincerity towards the recipent and takes on a more business tone. Basically it's crude not to.

Sincerely,

Craig
                                Oh no, Dear Craig- I didn't mean like that! I mean- for example: someone in a different forum might be saying "my dd and I were at the store today." Why can't you just say my daughter? Why does it have to be your dear daughter? No one would say that in a conversation. Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well!

Comment

Working...
                                X