Google's 1 GBPS coming to HI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's 1 GBPS coming to HI?

Having been lanquishing in the cyber stoneage forever here in Hawaii, we need this kind of boost for business - http://www.starbulletin.com/business...it_gamble.html

Limited for now, but...
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Google's 1 GBPS coming to HI?

Some local techies have already started a petition.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Bulletin
      Hawaiian Telcom's network is capable of providing such speeds, said Ann Nishida, media relations manager. "We plan to increase them in the future and will share details at an appropriate time."
      Riiiiiiiight.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I signed, but didn't get suckered by that account pu
        The petition deserves it's own thread.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Riiiiiiiight.

This was my thoughts regarding Ms. Nishida's comment :

"Ann Nishida’s comment regarding Hawaiian Telcom’s ability to provide gigabit speeds is patently false. Their last mile copper loop facilities only support speeds up to 100Mbps. In addition, there is a severe distance limitation on that grade of service. For example, Hawaiian Telcom’s highest speed tier of 11Mbps is only available to customers living within 6,000 feet of the central office/remote terminal. Thus, I would figure the 100Mbps tier has an even more stringent distance limitation."
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            This was my thoughts regarding Ms. Nishida's comment :

"Ann Nishida’s comment regarding Hawaiian Telcom’s ability to provide gigabit speeds is patently false. Their last mile copper loop facilities only support speeds up to 100Mbps. In addition, there is a severe distance limitation on that grade of service. For example, Hawaiian Telcom’s highest speed tier of 11Mbps is only available to customers living within 6,000 feet of the central office/remote terminal. Thus, I would figure the 100Mbps tier has an even more stringent distance limitation."
            you do know that Google will have to build it's own fiber to the prem, FTTP, network for these "trials". In that regard why couldn't HT do it when they already have fiber to many nodes out there already? So technically it's not "patently false". Google would have to build it the same way HT would and HT already has somewhat of a head start. So HT is technically capable, just as Nishida says. They have the equipment and expertise to build a all fiber network. And as a company like HT you don't build it out so quickly without a good calculated ROI, which google won't really have to worry about with it's deep pockets, but...

Also regarding this part from Google:

Key factors in Google's decision-making will include "the level of community support, local resources, weather conditions, approved construction methods and local regulatory issues," he said.

Which means we're not going to pay for it all, and we want every break in the book to get it done (which both HT and TWC don't have right now)

By all means I would love to see this happen, and I hope we can be a test bed for it, but to say HT or TWC couldn't do it is false as well.
            Last edited by LocalMotion; February 16, 2010, 06:07 PM.
            website - http://www.brianhancock.com
            blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Her comment is still patently false. She claims in that comment that HawTel can offer gigabit speeds. That is a bunch of bull. HawTel's last mile copper loop facilities can only support up to 100Mbps (if you live really close to the central office or remote terminal). There is a big difference between 1Gbps and 100Mbps.

There has been a number of articles that Hawaiian Telcom officials have stated this. In addition, I've spoken to number Hawaiian Telcom higher ups and they've told me the same thing.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Her comment is still patently false. She claims in that comment that HawTel can offer gigabit speeds. That is a bunch of bull. HawTel's last mile copper loop facilities can only support up to 100Mbps (if you live really close to the central office or remote terminal). There is a big difference between 1Gbps and 100Mbps.

There has been a number of articles that Hawaiian Telcom officials have stated this. In addition, I've spoken to number Hawaiian Telcom higher ups and they've told me the same thing.
                Hey lying is fashionable nowdays!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Once again no one is saying it can be done on Copper, we all know that's not possible. Google won't be doing it with copper either.

She said HT is "Capable"

So I guess it's how you define capable. Do you define it as something you're doing right now, or something you have the experience/tools to do if you wanted to...

Answer this. If you were Bill Gates and you told HT you'd pay all cost to have them install a fiber connection to your house and turn on a gigabit connection, you're saying HT is not capable of doing this?
                  website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                  blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

They are certainly not capable at this time or in the future for widespread availability of gigabit speeds. It would take a massive investment in fiber to accomplish this.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

You need leadership with a vision to get these kinds of things done. Neither HT or TW will do it by themselves because they are perfectly fine as things are now. We need someone such as the governor or mayor to push for it. There's too much ainokea in this state. I've said it before, the State should use some of its tech funds to push "fiber to everyone". Then we'll see the real growth.

Btw, I live in Kaneohe and HT told me the line to my house can only support 1.5Mbps.
                      kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
                        You need leadership with a vision to get these kinds of things done. Neither HT or TW will do it by themselves because they are perfectly fine as things are now. We need someone such as the governor or mayor to push for it. There's too much ainokea in this state. I've said it before, the State should use some of its tech funds to push "fiber to everyone". Then we'll see the real growth.

Btw, I live in Kaneohe and HT told me the line to my house can only support 1.5Mbps.
                        I live out in the boonies in lower Puna and we don't even get cable or DSL. I would love 1.5Mbps. For me the fastest on my wireless broadband is 500Kbps and that's during the day when everybody's at work or at school. Right now at 6pm I'm probably pushing 70Kbps. Just a tad faster than dial up.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          I live out in the boonies in lower Puna and we don't even get cable or DSL. I would love 1.5Mbps. For me the fastest on my wireless broadband is 500Kbps and that's during the day when everybody's at work or at school. Right now at 6pm I'm probably pushing 70Kbps. Just a tad faster than dial up.
                          That's what I'm saying. The Internet is so important to everything we do today, both as individuals and as entrepreneurs that we can't let people be without it. We can't allow for geographic discrimination. Imagine the opportunities it can provide rural areas of Hawaii if they had access to high speed Internet. It is something our leaders need to take care of.

Last year HMSA and State officials were bragging about Hawaii being the first state to enable patients to see their doctors online and that it would provide better medical care to patients in rural areas. What good is that if rural areas have shitty connections?

I don't like paying taxes but one thing I wouldn't mind my taxes going to is "fiber for everyone". I really believe our State would have a great ROI.
                          kiddori

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
                            Last year HMSA and State officials were bragging about Hawaii being the first state to enable patients to see their doctors online and that it would provide better medical care to patients in rural areas. What good is that if rural areas have shitty connections?

I don't like paying taxes but one thing I wouldn't mind my taxes going to is "fiber for everyone". I really believe our State would have a great ROI.
                            HMSA boasted about it but even though HMSA covers MedQuest recipients, that service isn't offered as a benefit for them. And you still gotta pay for it!

Problem with rural residents is it costs about the same to run fiber to all areas, however because there are less people per geographical square mile in rural areas, it won't be cost effective. Oceanic told me that they will never service an area that has less than 100 customers per square mile.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Problem with rural residents is it costs about the same to run fiber to all areas, however because there are less people per geographical square mile in rural areas, it won't be cost effective. Oceanic told me that they will never service an area that has less than 100 customers per square mile.
                              It wouldn't be cost effective for private businesses, which is why I think some of the State's tech funds should go to it. I think it would benefit the State as a whole in the long run.
                              kiddori

Comment

Working...
                              X