Where to find old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find old photos

Where would be the best places to find Kaneohe photos from the 60's to 80's? I've tried Google, but not much has been coming up. Digitized materials are better because I'm lazy, but would the Hawaii State library carry anything that could be scanned? I'm looking for pics to include in a class reunion slide show. Thanks.

Re: Where to find old photos

The State Archive Bldg. next to the palace. You can bring your own scanner or purchase prints.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Just a thought... the Bishop Museum Archives may have what you need.
      Call first 847-8232 and ask to be transfer'd. No cost to come research either.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I think the photographs from the Archives and the Bishop Museum might actually be too old for your purposes (60s-80s), but there’s no harm in trying. Call them and ask. Both places are usually very good at helping researchers.

But another tact: How about community newspapers? Wasn’t there a Windward Sun Press around that time? I could be wrong, but didn’t MidWeek buy out the Windward Sun Press, and in turn was bought by the Star-Bulletin? I don’t know if the Sun Press negatives and/or photos were preserved. Most newspapers archive their photographs, but I’m not sure what happens to them when the publication disappears.

Also, if what you’re looking for are just school photos, why not ask the school itself (Kalaheo?) and their respective newspaper/yearbook departments?

Comment

The State Public Library has a number of old school yearbooks from around the state. Bring a digital camera with you that has a good macro lens, and snap away.

That's what I did at the State Archive a few years back when I needed 1950s era photos. Looked through one of their collections, and reshot the ones I wanted with my digital camera. Worked out fine for what I wanted to use them for.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
          X