Thread: Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

I'd noticed it before, and yesterday I went back to check it out and make sure. It's real.

Recently I put a compass in my car. I drive H-3 regularly and recently, coming out of the H-3 tunnel townbound, I noticed my compass gyrating wildly. I'd never seen it do that before.

Yesterday I wasn't in a hurry, the road was clear and I paid close attention:

A few hundred feet out of the tunnel the compass started swinging back and forth, from SW to NE and back and past, even spinning completely around a few times, and for a while holding steadily to North (even though I was NOT going North at that point) before going back to 'normal' about a quarter mile past the tunnel.

I didn't measure exact start and stop points - I'll try to do that today, tie it to mile markers or reference points.

I've heard of such magnetic anomalies before, but this is the first one I've ever seen. I know they can be caused by large deposits of magnetic ore, and sometimes microwave emissions, and sometimes we just don't know why.

Naturally I thought about the heiau complex buried under the expressway - silly me! I know better than that!

Anyone else know anything about this? Have you experienced it?

Spooky!

K%
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Default Re: Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

Huh. I'm going to try it with the compass in my iPhone, which uses microwave triangulation instead of magnets.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Try carrying some pork and travel that area at midnight and see what happens!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Question Re: Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Try carrying some pork and travel that area at midnight and see what happens!
    What!
    You like me bettah make oh whut?

(Clueless: reference "Pork over the Pali" iff you no unnastan!)

OoooooWheeeeeOoooooooh!

(K) hiding his da kine....
    ~ ~

Tonight, from the 3 mile marker (2 miles from the tunnel, PH to WW) it started again. Said I was going West, spun around, back and forth.

Within sight of the tunnel it stopped,and started indicating East again.

Either it's magnetic bu9ilding materials or microwaves or... ???
    ~ ~

i would think its the.......... ???????
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

It could simply be the layout of copper powerlines within the tunnel causing a strong EMF that's causing the anomaly.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Read this on the Omega system....then think 'Lost'

http://www.jproc.ca/hyperbolic/omega.html

Default MORE on magnetic diversions.

Nothing new, actually, but that theyy are still there.

I(t seems they are magnetic loop-ables (which the State won't ta;lk about) thatb do a 'copuimnting of cars' eiting the tnnel.
    No reason is offerred re: only having the counters on the leeward side, or why,

T%hink it's top secret??? Neihyer do I

Who knows how to access public info?

~ ~

Default Re: MORE on magnetic diversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I(t seems they are magnetic loop-ables (which the State won't ta;lk about) thatb do a 'copuimnting of cars' eiting the tnnel.
    I'd think they'd be using the same technology as the loops by traffic lights - an AC signal that would never show up on a mechanical compass.

No reason is offerred re: only having the counters on the leeward side,
    Why would they need that? Do you expect cars to disappear in the tunnel?

Question Re: MORE on magnetic diversions.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I'd think they'd be using the same technology as the loops by traffic lights - an AC signal that would never show up on a mechanical compass.

Why would they need that? Do you expect cars to disappear in the tunnel?
    Sorry for my awful typing last message!

Traffic light car detection technology is visible in the roadway - I thought it was based on the old pressure-switch technology. If there are loopsin H-3, they are based on magnetic fields, nor roadway pressure.

I don't know why they are different, nor why they are only on one side of the tunnels.
    ~ ~

Question Re: MORE on magnetic diversions.

This from:
    http://www.transdyn.com/system-profi...nt-system.html

Reading this through again (I never got an answer from my query to Peter Smith at Transdyne) I noticed some things (highlights mine).

"The Trans-Koolau tunnel complex on the H-3 highway provides a third connection between the Honolulu metropolitan area and the northeast side of the Island of Oahu. This state-of-the-art highway system has a sophisticated traffic surveillance and control system to manage traffic incidents and provide real-time traffic information to motorists.

From the west tunnel portal control center, operators are able to manage various subsystems such as CCTV, Dynamic Message Signs (DMS), rebroadcast AM/FM in the tunnel, emergency radio, telephone PBX, emergency roadside telephones, fire detection and ventilation. The system also enables personnel to control tunnel facility systems such as power, lighting and weather. Traffic is directly controlled and monitored using TC170 traffic controllers that are connected to embedded loop detectors, lane use signals, Changeable Message Signs (CMS) and traffic signals.

Managed by Transdyn’s DYNAC® ATMS software running on redundant servers, the system provides a unified interface for monitoring and controlling the facility, detects incidents, enables operators to increase life safety, and reduces congestion. The system also monitors traffic and tunnel conditions and can automatically change the traffic configuration (e.g. close one tunnel bore). Traffic and tunnel information is then disseminated to travelers via DMS and motorist advisory radio."

This may or may not be our culprit....
    ~ ~

Default Re: MORE on magnetic diversions.

Traffic light car detection technology is visible in the roadway - I thought it was based on the old pressure-switch technology.
    Frequently you can see the slots they cut to put the wire loops in place. So they're sometimes visible. I know it's a common belief that it's "pressure" or "weight" but it's not. It works more like a metal detector. The metal in the car will detune the frequency of the loop.

Sometimes you'll see a pressure-switch system. It's those rubber hoses that run across the road. (Or if you're old enough to remember service stations where your heard a "ding-ding" when you drove up.)

I don't know why they are different, nor why they are only on one side of the tunnels.
    If the purpose is just to count the cars to give a over-all traffic pattern they only need to be on one side. For every car that travels on the windward side there will be (or was) one car traveling on the leeward side. (Unless there's a secret off ramp the public doesn't know about.)

You need both sides only if you're trying to get real-time data on the traffic heading toward the tunnels.

Exclamation Back to square one.

From Transdyne:

"Dear Ka`onohi,

The H3 Trans-Ko’olau tunnel used traffic detector loops at the approaches to the tunnel and within the tunnel. These loops have a very small current that should not be capable of changing the earth’ s magnetic field as you have observed, especially over the extended distances you noted.

I have attached an article describing how loops are installed and how they function.

Regards,

Tom McPharlin

Tom McPharlin | VP Technology
    Transdyn, Inc. | 4256 Hacienda Dr., Suite 100 | Pleasanton, CA 94588
    T: 925.225.1600 | F: 925.225.1610
    tmcpharlin@transdyn.com | www.transdyn.com"

Article Attached:

Inductive Loop Write up.pdf

So, we still have a mystery.
    Perhaps we can find out in advance when H-3 is going to be closed, and work alongside the work teams.
    ~ ~