X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MORE on magnetic diversions.

This from:
    http://www.transdyn.com/system-profi...nt-system.html

Reading this through again (I never got an answer from my query to Peter Smith at Transdyne) I noticed some things (highlights mine).

"The Trans-Koolau tunnel complex on the H-3 highway provides a third connection between the Honolulu metropolitan area and the northeast side of the Island of Oahu. This state-of-the-art highway system has a sophisticated traffic surveillance and control system to manage traffic incidents and provide real-time traffic information to motorists.

From the west tunnel portal control center, operators are able to manage various subsystems such as CCTV, Dynamic Message Signs (DMS), rebroadcast AM/FM in the tunnel, emergency radio, telephone PBX, emergency roadside telephones, fire detection and ventilation. The system also enables personnel to control tunnel facility systems such as power, lighting and weather. Traffic is directly controlled and monitored using TC170 traffic controllers that are connected to embedded loop detectors, lane use signals, Changeable Message Signs (CMS) and traffic signals.

Managed by Transdyn’s DYNAC® ATMS software running on redundant servers, the system provides a unified interface for monitoring and controlling the facility, detects incidents, enables operators to increase life safety, and reduces congestion. The system also monitors traffic and tunnel conditions and can automatically change the traffic configuration (e.g. close one tunnel bore). Traffic and tunnel information is then disseminated to travelers via DMS and motorist advisory radio."

This may or may not be our culprit....
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: MORE on magnetic diversions.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      Traffic light car detection technology is visible in the roadway - I thought it was based on the old pressure-switch technology.
      Frequently you can see the slots they cut to put the wire loops in place. So they're sometimes visible. I know it's a common belief that it's "pressure" or "weight" but it's not. It works more like a metal detector. The metal in the car will detune the frequency of the loop.

Sometimes you'll see a pressure-switch system. It's those rubber hoses that run across the road. (Or if you're old enough to remember service stations where your heard a "ding-ding" when you drove up.)

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      I don't know why they are different, nor why they are only on one side of the tunnels.
      If the purpose is just to count the cars to give a over-all traffic pattern they only need to be on one side. For every car that travels on the windward side there will be (or was) one car traveling on the leeward side. (Unless there's a secret off ramp the public doesn't know about.)

You need both sides only if you're trying to get real-time data on the traffic heading toward the tunnels.

Comment

Back to square one.

From Transdyne:

"Dear Ka`onohi,

The H3 Trans-Ko’olau tunnel used traffic detector loops at the approaches to the tunnel and within the tunnel. These loops have a very small current that should not be capable of changing the earth’ s magnetic field as you have observed, especially over the extended distances you noted.

I have attached an article describing how loops are installed and how they function.

Regards,

Tom McPharlin

Tom McPharlin | VP Technology
        Transdyn, Inc. | 4256 Hacienda Dr., Suite 100 | Pleasanton, CA 94588
        T: 925.225.1600 | F: 925.225.1610
        tmcpharlin@transdyn.com | www.transdyn.com"

Article Attached:

Inductive Loop Write up.pdf

So, we still have a mystery.
        Perhaps we can find out in advance when H-3 is going to be closed, and work alongside the work teams.
        ~ ~

Comment

Re: Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

"ʍəıʌ ɟo ʇuıod ʇuəɹəɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ əɟıן ʇɐ ʞooן oʇ pəəu noʎ səɯıʇəɯoS"
          ~ ~

Comment

From memory:

Different than what I wrote earlier, maybe e magnetic fields re-oriented my neurons?

On O`ahu there is a significant magnetic anomaly. It occurs along the recently new H-3 Freeway, which has a mile-long tunnel through the Ko`olau mountain range. As you exit the tunnel on the Windward side (East) heading toward Kane`ohe, if you have a magnetic compass in your car it will begin to change direction wildly for about a quarter of a mile. It will turn back and forth and sometimes spin.

I have questioned the tunnel staff, the Department of Transportation, the City and County as well as the State Department of Land and Natural Resources, and they have all denied its existence.
            I contacted the local Newspaper, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser and went on-site with a reporter. We confirmed the anomaly within vehicles, and on foot. The staff writer wrote an article on the anomaly, but it was never published.

The valley that the road travels through is Haiku Valley, famous for the former coast guard metal stairway of 3922 steps that goes from the valley floor to the top of the Ko`olau range, aptly named by some the “Stairway to Heaven.” The stairs were built to service a tower of a LORAN station antenna (LORAN, short for long-range navigation, was a hyperbolic radio navigation system developed in the United States during World War II.) but has become popular with hikers because it offers a superb view of the Windward side. https://www.haikustairs.org

The LORAN station created strong electromagnetic fields in the valley, which would light up fluorescent tubes in your hand. During H-3 construction it was planned to create a Faraday cage around the part of the highway that passed under the antenna wires suspended across the valley, but before the highway was commissioned, the LORAN station was decommissioned and the antenna wires were removed.

There has been a bit of local speculation as to what causes the anomaly, including electromagnetic surveillance loops under the roadway (to monitor cars), lightning strikes on the rebar during construction, and the magnetization of rebar laid down while the LORAN was still in operation.

There are also those that claim the highway is haunted because construction buried or destroyed several ancient Hawaiian Heiau (religious sites). Archeologist Earl ’Buddy’ Neller worked hard to catalog the sites before destruction and to preserve what sites he could.

Whatever the reason, whatever the cover-up, the magnetic anomaly exists, and if you ever pass that way bring a compass to see it for yourself.
            ~ ~

Comment

More info:

I thought the Faraday Cage/shield idea was abandoned when the Omega station LORAN was decommissioned. Perhaps it's still active?

"The 52-mile-long interstate system was planned to solve Oahu's projected traffic demands and connect the island's major military centers. This network consists of three freeways: H-1, H-2 and H-3. The 15-mile-long H-3 connects the Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station to the Pearl Harbor defense bases, passing through the Koolau Mountains to join the windward towns of Kailua and Kaneohe to the leeward cities of Pearl City and Honolulu. OMSTA causes large insulated objects near the station to become energized, providing a small shock to anyone coming in contact with these items. HDOT was concerned that "surprise shocks" to workers on H-3 might result in a fall or other accident. In some cases, workers in sensitive areas were required to wear gloves or rubber boots. To prevent any effect on H-3 travelers, a device known as a Faraday Shield was installed over a short section of the highway near the mouth of the tunnels to reduce the electric field. The shield consists of six three-eighth-inch-diameter wires on each side of the road spaced one vertical meter apart and eight three-eighth-inch-diameter wires overhead. A wire mesh is incorporated into the pavement below to complete the shield."

Copied from https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...lity/haiku.htm
              ~ ~

Comment

Correction: The station was not a Loran station. Loran stations worked in pairs, a master and a slave. They were for navigation and needed to be 300 miles apart. a google search https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=LORAN+hawaii&oq=LORAN+hawaii&gs _l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1.4098.10452.0.12322.10.9.0.0.0.0.276 .1551.0j1j6.8.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.7.1544.0..0j0i10k1j0i13k1j0i22i30k1.178.YRUi Ga_AXFk shows the two stations in Hawaii were on the big island and Niihu. Two pairs of stations were required to reduce the number of possible locations to two. In the 1960s while on the bridge of a destroyer in the Atlantic I watched the Quartermaster check his dead reckoning position with the Loran position. The Loran worked in the 7.5 MHz range or VHF (Very high frequency).
                The station in Haiku Valley was for communicating with submarines. And IIRC operated in the ELF or SLF range (Extremely low frequency or Super low frequency) The low frequency penetrated the water. They could only send dots and dashes at that frequency.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

OK, thanks for the intel.
                  I've heard it called a LORAN, also an OMEGA. I kneel (one knee) to your expertise.
                  ~ ~

Comment

Kaonohi, maybe it is time to turn on the dash cam and also a GoPro, and upload a video to Youtube!
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X