• Show
Clear All

Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

Is something going on?
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Re: Star-Bulletin bought the Advertiser!!!

Gannett retains ownership of the Advertiser building and will offer the property for sale.
      But no news yet on whether the Advertiser's new printing facility is part of the deal. Can't see them selling it separately, as who else but the Star-Bulletin would want it? And what will happen to the SB's elderly printing facility in Kaneohe? (I guess that all depends on if the SB gets sold or gets "merged.")
      We need to be a two-paper town, but who might buy the SB? What happens to which staffers if it doesn't sell?
      The questions and possible scenarios are staggering.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        I don't think anyone will want to buy a newspaper in these days when many people get their news from online media. I think we'll end up being a one paper town with whatever succeeds both the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin (one report indicated that a merged paper will get a new name)....
        I'm afraid you're right. It would be a shame (and a big mistake, in my opinion) to change the name of such a long-standing institution.

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        Is something going on?
        Uh, yeah, Buzz. Didn't you hear? Pacific Business News is buying the Honolulu Weekly. Or maybe it was the Weekly buying PBN. I forget which.

Comment

I'm suffering from whiplash.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I think we'll end up being a one paper town with whatever succeeds both the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin (one report indicated that a merged paper will get a new name)....
            The Star-Advertiser?
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I remember an old Hawaii 5-0 episode that had that fake newspaper labeled as the "Bulletin Advertiser" H'mmm, What did they know back in '72' ?

Comment

More than likely we will be left being just another one paper town.
                Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                KITV says that Black will try to sell the Star-Bulletin but that if it doesn't sell within two months he'll just merge the two operations under the Advertiser banner.
                Anyone getting the sinking feeling that this is what Black had in mind all along? When was the last time the Star-Bulletin “made waves”? IMHO, if this wasn’t Black’s gameplan, he surely saw the writing on the wall very early in the game. Perhaps the purchase of the MidWeek press was a tactical/practical move to begin with, but SB would be crippled almost overnight without MW at this point. I had a good chat, about a year ago, with an SB editor for a solid half hour. He seemed at a loss for words when I asked the question “what kind of strategy does the Bulletin have to regain its market share?”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

That means yet another round of "right-sizing" for the folks at both papers. More decent-paying jobs will disappear,never to be replaced. The middle class continues to get whacked and the media consolidation continues. I hope the Justice department looks closely at this. Not that I expect them to do much,tho

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                    That means yet another round of "right-sizing" for the folks at both papers. More decent-paying jobs will disappear,never to be replaced. The middle class continues to get whacked and the media consolidation continues. I hope the Justice department looks closely at this. Not that I expect them to do much,tho
                    Oh, don't waste your time hoping for something that simply isn't going to happen.

Hey, that reminds me. Whatever happened to 808golfer? Surely, he would have something to chime in with....assuming he's still around.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Gannett retains ownership of the Advertiser building and will offer the property for sale. But no news yet on whether the Advertiser's new printing facility is part of the deal.
                      According to numerous news sources this morning, the Advertiser's new printing plant in Kapolei is indeed part of the deal.

Comment

Bob Dickey, president of Gannett's U.S. Community Publishing, said, "We have been very pleased and proud to be part of the Hawaii journalism community all these years but felt OPI's offer to buy The Advertiser and its related assets was the right course for Gannett at this time."
                        He added: "We greatly appreciate all of the hard work and contributions our employees have made and know that they will continue to do a terrific job serving this market in the years to come."
                        In other words, "Thank goodness, I didn't think we'd ever get our heads out of this beartrap. Now we have happy shareholder news for the next quarter's results!!"

But no news yet on whether the Advertiser's new printing facility is part of the deal. Can't see them selling it separately, as who else but the Star-Bulletin would want it? And what will happen to the SB's elderly printing facility in Kaneohe? (I guess that all depends on if the SB gets sold or gets "merged.")
                        It'd be interesting to know which is cheaper: building a new printing facility from scratch like the Advertiser did, or simply buying the Advertiser for its plant and selling off the other assets.

Gosh, if S-B & Midweek are printed on the Advertiser's hardware then maybe we'll actually be able to see the photos.

We need to be a two-paper town, but who might buy the SB? What happens to which staffers if it doesn't sell?
                        There's a growing list of American towns which would be quite happy to have one newspaper, let alone two.

I fear that S-B is building the best company in the cash-sucking black-hole buggy-whip business.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Today's Headlines:

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Its really neat how this forum comes alive when issues strike.
                            Regarding the buying of a newspaper. You pay for an advertiser base and subscription base. The new upcoming electronic news outlet being launched is going ahead without the existing base. Much cheaper and with proper promotion may be the way to go. We will see.
                            So I predict no buyer for the Bulletin they will merge into one and go on. The online version is the correct direction I feel, but it must be user friendly, neither site is that good at this time. I am getting ready to cancel my Maui News subscription as a cost cutting move. All I will miss is the comics. Everything else I can get on line.

Comment

Among those covering and/or commenting on the sale/purchase, Ian Lind had the best headline:

David Buys Goliath

Comment

That was my headline yesterday afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X