Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Bull buys Advertiser

Default Star Bull buys Advertiser

Exclamation Star-Bulletin bought the Advertiser!!!

Amazing breaking news at this link:

Star-Bulletin to acquire Advertiser

POSTED: 04:14 p.m. HST, Feb 25, 2010

The owner of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin is acquiring the Honolulu Advertiser.
    The agreement was announced this afternoon by Oahu Publications Inc., which owns the Star-Bulletin, MidWeek and other weekly newspapers and magazines, and Gannett Co., owner of the Advertiser. Oahu Publications also will get related assets in addition to the Advertiser, including its website, non-daily publications and Gannett's interest in Hawaii.com. It does not include The Advertiser's office building at 605 Kapiolani Blvd.
    "We are pleased to be able to purchase The Advertiser, a strong and excellent newspaper," said David Black, chairman of Oahu Publications. "We will endeavor to continue the tradition of good Hawaii newspaper stewardship as exemplified in modern times by Twigg Smith and Gannett."
    The deal, subject to regulatory and other approvals, is expected to close during the second quarter. Financial terms were not disclosed.
    Because the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser are daily newspaper competitors, Oahu Publications has discussed the transaction with the U.S. Justice Department and Hawaii's attorney general.
    Bob Dickey, president of Gannett's U.S. Community Publishing, said, "We have been very pleased and proud to be part of the Hawaii journalism community all these years but felt OPI's offer to buy The Advertiser and its related assets was the right course for Gannett at this time."
    He added: "We greatly appreciate all of the hard work and contributions our employees have made and know that they will continue to do a terrific job serving this market in the years to come."
    (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Default Re: Star-Bulletin bought the Advertiser!!!

Someone pick my jaw up off the floor for me. I can't move.

I'm dumbfounded!!

What a shocker! I can't even begin to think what this means.

Turnabout is fair play.

k.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Will be eager to hear what Erika and Buzz have to say.

Default Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

I don't think anyone did.

i had to laugh when i read about it. all the hoo-hah a few years ago about the SB maybe going out of business and a lot of blame going to the Advertiser for the whole situation - is this what might be called ironic? or at least kharmic?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Well, this is one way for SB to regain access to their photo archives. I wonder which HonAdv execs will get a golden parachute.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

More than likely we will be left being just another one paper town.
    I'm still here. Are you?

What's next?
    Go Airlines buys Hawaiian Air.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    KITV says that Black will try to sell the Star-Bulletin but that if it doesn't sell within two months he'll just merge the two operations under the Advertiser banner.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    KITV says that Black will try to sell the Star-Bulletin but that if it doesn't sell within two months he'll just merge the two operations under the Advertiser banner.
    I don't think anyone will want to buy a newspaper in these days when many people get their news from online media. I think we'll end up being a one paper town with whatever succeeds both the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin (one report indicated that a merged paper will get a new name)....
    I'm still here. Are you?

Just an admin note here... merged 2 Star Bulletin buys Advertiser threads into this one thread. The separate threads were created just 2 minutes apart. Better to have them as one IMO.

Is something going on?
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Gannett retains ownership of the Advertiser building and will offer the property for sale.
    But no news yet on whether the Advertiser's new printing facility is part of the deal. Can't see them selling it separately, as who else but the Star-Bulletin would want it? And what will happen to the SB's elderly printing facility in Kaneohe? (I guess that all depends on if the SB gets sold or gets "merged.")
    We need to be a two-paper town, but who might buy the SB? What happens to which staffers if it doesn't sell?
    The questions and possible scenarios are staggering.

I don't think anyone will want to buy a newspaper in these days when many people get their news from online media. I think we'll end up being a one paper town with whatever succeeds both the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin (one report indicated that a merged paper will get a new name)....
    I'm afraid you're right. It would be a shame (and a big mistake, in my opinion) to change the name of such a long-standing institution.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Is something going on?
    Uh, yeah, Buzz. Didn't you hear? Pacific Business News is buying the Honolulu Weekly. Or maybe it was the Weekly buying PBN. I forget which.

I'm suffering from whiplash.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

I think we'll end up being a one paper town with whatever succeeds both the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin (one report indicated that a merged paper will get a new name)....
    The Star-Advertiser?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

I remember an old Hawaii 5-0 episode that had that fake newspaper labeled as the "Bulletin Advertiser" H'mmm, What did they know back in '72' ?

Lightbulb Re: Star-Bulletin bought the Advertiser!!!

Anyone getting the sinking feeling that this is what Black had in mind all along? When was the last time the Star-Bulletin “made waves”? IMHO, if this wasn’t Black’s gameplan, he surely saw the writing on the wall very early in the game. Perhaps the purchase of the MidWeek press was a tactical/practical move to begin with, but SB would be crippled almost overnight without MW at this point. I had a good chat, about a year ago, with an SB editor for a solid half hour. He seemed at a loss for words when I asked the question “what kind of strategy does the Bulletin have to regain its market share?”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Unhappy Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

That means yet another round of "right-sizing" for the folks at both papers. More decent-paying jobs will disappear,never to be replaced. The middle class continues to get whacked and the media consolidation continues. I hope the Justice department looks closely at this. Not that I expect them to do much,tho

Quote Originally Posted by Palolo lolo View Post
    That means yet another round of "right-sizing" for the folks at both papers. More decent-paying jobs will disappear,never to be replaced. The middle class continues to get whacked and the media consolidation continues. I hope the Justice department looks closely at this. Not that I expect them to do much,tho
    Oh, don't waste your time hoping for something that simply isn't going to happen.

Hey, that reminds me. Whatever happened to 808golfer? Surely, he would have something to chime in with....assuming he's still around.

Gannett retains ownership of the Advertiser building and will offer the property for sale. But no news yet on whether the Advertiser's new printing facility is part of the deal.
    According to numerous news sources this morning, the Advertiser's new printing plant in Kapolei is indeed part of the deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast