Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Bull buys Advertiser

Default Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

The Gannett involvement hasn't been confirmed...
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Ian Lind passes this information on from someone else - important to newsies:

"Bottom line is that the Advertiserís web edition back to 2001 is now completely accessible online, free of charge, the way it used to be when you could just monkey with the URL to get the issues that were more than 2 months old, except now you can just go straight to it."

Big question is what happens to this resource after the Advertiser is bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
    Ian Lind passes this information on from someone else - important to newsies:

"Bottom line is that the Advertiserís web edition back to 2001 is now completely accessible online, free of charge, the way it used to be when you could just monkey with the URL to get the issues that were more than 2 months old, except now you can just go straight to it."

Big question is what happens to this resource after the Advertiser is bought.
    Seeing as how the David Black regime has kept the S-B's online archives free and accessible thoughout this time with all the red-ink flowing, I would venture to guess that there's no reason to expect that the Advertiser's back issues will suddenly go back to charging a user fee.

I don't know who's doing those funny Hitler videos (like the one on the SuperFerry), but Ian Lind points out a new video at this link about the Star Bulletin/Advertiser situation!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
    Ian Lind posts the termination letter all Advertiser employees are receiving this week.

No bumping, since everyone is being terminated effective closing of the sale. Star Bulletin setting up a management company to do rehiring - everyone welcome to apply for appropriate positions - to keep the Advertiser publishing.

www.ilind.net
    It took a few days for the other shoe to drop, but it finally did.

Star Bulletin employees receives their letter, warning of "mass layoffs" should no buyer for the paper be found and the two dailes merge.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    I don't know who's doing those funny Hitler videos (like the one on the SuperFerry), but Ian Lind points out a new video at this link about the Star Bulletin/Advertiser situation!
    Yeah. Well, if anyone from the S-B was gloating (out loud or secretly) about their boss buying the "big, bad" Advertiser, the letter they got yesterday gave them a healthy dose of reality.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 20th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Potential buyer for the Star Bulletin:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...Bulletin+buyer

Advertiser employees apparently got temporary job offers today, according to this breaking news story.

This could be posted in "defectors from print," or even "shared service agreement."

just announced in the Advertiser newsroom, editor Mark Platte will become news director at Hawaii News Now.

Good timing. I just posted that same item but in a new thread. [/high five]
    Beat by exactly one minute. You owe me a beer.

Wasnt sure where to post this and maybe it goes in the shared services agreement thread. My old stomping grounds in Phoenix, the local paper and NBC affiliate will be merging under one roof. Remember at one time during the early to mid 60's the Star Bulletin owned KGMB:

Gannett to combine operations for Phoenix TV, print outlets
    Gannett is planning to consolidate the The Arizona Republic, Phoenix NBC affiliate KPNX-TV and La Voz, bringing the properties under one roof and merging operations. For KPNX, the move means a new, ground-floor studio in Phoenix's Republic Media building. "The new studio will allow our team to connect with viewers like never before. Much like NBC's 'Today', we know a live audience will bring energy to our newscasts," KPNX's John Misner said. Mediaweek

The Bulletin and Advertiser are going to merge soon, which means their websites will merge as well. Since it was the Bulletin that bought the Advertiser, does that mean the new website will have those infernal pop-up ads?

The Advertiser's website has this up:

On June 6, The Honolulu Advertiser and its Web sites, HonoluluAdvertiser.com, Honolulu Metromix and Hawaii MomsLikeMe, will be opening a new chapter with the sale of the Advertiser to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin's owner. In coming weeks, look for the new newspaper and site that will emerge, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser and staradvertiser.com. Please send your questions to: online@honoluluadvertiser.com
    more information:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/se...advertisersale

"In coming weeks, look for the new newspaper and site that will emerge, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser and staradvertiser.com."

Star-Advertiser! Almost sounds Sci-Fi! I LIKE it!
    (Will they keep Prince Valiant?)

K
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Hmmm...When I put the two together in my mind it comes out, "Starvertiser" But if you want something Sci-Fi, how about Adverstar...nah sounds like some kind of nasal spray...

Or they can just go back to the old Sunday Edition title of Star Bulletin & Advertiser. That worked for decades.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

We're pronouncing it Startalizer.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Hmmm...When I put the two together in my mind it comes out, "Starvertiser" But if you want something Sci-Fi, how about Adverstar...nah sounds like some kind of nasal spray...

Or they can just go back to the old Sunday Edition title of Star Bulletin & Advertiser. That worked for decades.
    Of course, the "Star-Bulletin" itself was a merger of the old Honolulu Star and Evening Bulletin newspapers. Locals eventually got used to the idea of the Star-Bulletin, didn't they? They'll adapt to the Star-Advertiser before too long.

As announced, the Advertiser staffers who will be part of the merged newspaper are:

Marsha McFadden, Dan Woods, William Cole, Rob Perez, Derrick DePledge, Dan Nakaso, Mary Vorsino, Michael Tsai, Lee Cataluna, Dave Shapiro, David Butts, Andrew Gomes, Alan Yonan, Sean Hao, Stephen Downes, Vicky Viotti, Curtis Murayama, Steven Tsai, Ann Miller, Matt Schick, Bruce Asato, John Bender, Martha Hernandez, Joe Guinto, Christie Wilson, Elizabeth Kieszkowski, Mike Gordon.
    And those who will not be:

Sandra Oshiro, Leslie Kawamoto, Andy Yamaguchi, Eloise Aguiar, Curtis Lum, Loren Moreno, Gordon Pang, Suzanne Roig, David Waite, Rick Daysog, Jim Dooley, Diana Leone, James Gonser, Stephen Downes, Greg Wiles, Robbie Dingeman, Maureen O’Connell, Paula Rath, Mary Kaye Ritz, Wade Shirkey, Esme Infante Nii, Dave Dondoneau, Kawehi Haug, Diane Seo, Tracy Chan, AC Shilton, Chris Oliver, Bart Asato, Clyde Mizumoto, Stacey Kaneshiro, Stanley Lee, Brandon Masuoka, Dayton Morinaga, Wes Nakama, Kyle Sakamoto, Kalani Takase, Leila Wai, Gregory Yamamoto, David Yamada, Richard Ambo, Deborah Booker, Rebecca Breyer, Norman Shapiro, Andrew Shimabuku, Minette McCabe, Jon Orque, Richard Couch, Scott Morifuji, Christine Strobel, Brian Takemura, Mark Milligan, John Miyakado, Scott Nishi, Derek Kalani.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 3rd, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Hmmm...When I put the two together in my mind it comes out, "Starvertiser"
    How about Starinator?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

just call it the way it is...The Honolulu Rag!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

"Roster of familiar names joining Star-Advertiser"

Link: http://www.hsblinks.com/2gs

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

it is always sad when people lose their jobs for reasons not related to incompetence, so of course well wishes go to those advertiser employees who were not hired by the merged paper.

a bit of good news: a number of the SB layoffs from last year were hired back.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

In case anyone missed them, the last editions of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and Honolulu Advertiser as they looked like in print on their front pages today.

Posts regarding the new Honolulu Star Advertiser can be found at this link:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=18436

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123