No announcement yet.

State doing anything to get LPGA back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State doing anything to get LPGA back?

Does anyone know if the State is trying anything to get any sponsors and the LPGA back to the islands? I miss them.
    kiddori

Re: State doing anything to get LPGA back?

Speaking as a taxpayer, I don't think the state should have anything to do with getting an LPGA tourney back in Hawaii. Not when the LPGA itself made a short-sighted decision that killed the last tourney in Hawaii (the SBS Open) when it struck an exclusive business deal in Korea with SBS' competitor. SBS, understandably, felt miffed by the LPGA's move and took its title sponsorship over to the PGA.

I understand the idea of the state tourism authority using its funds to attract/retain sporting events that bring in visitor dollars, but I don't believe in our tax money being used to assist an organization like the LPGA that shoots itself in the foot with bone-headed moves.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The good news is that the LPGA has a new commissioner so hopefully there won't be any more stupid decisions made.

I'm not saying that the State and tax payers should sponsor an event. But I wouldn't mind the State using some of its influence and money to help get sponsors and events to the islands.
      kiddori

Comment

the state has many more important things to spend its $$$ on than golf! like schools? jobs?
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

You know with equality and such, I'm still amazed at the distinction between the PGA and the LPGA. It should be just the PGA womens and mens divisions.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            the state has many more important things to spend its $$$ on than golf! like schools? jobs?
            Yeah, but first you need to generate those $$$. You do that by bringing more business and tourists to the State.
            kiddori

Comment

we will just have to agree to disagree.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                You know with equality and such, I'm still amazed at the distinction between the PGA and the LPGA. It should be just the PGA womens and mens divisions.
                Why should there be equality with men's and women's golf at the professional level?

The interest and prize money as it presently stands is far from being equal.

Here are the facts:

In 2009, the PGA had 47 events with prize money totaling $275 million.

In the same year, the LPGA had 28 events with prize money totaling $47.6 million. That's less than a fifth of what the men's tour events award.

The TV ratings and amount of media coverage also reflect this disparity.

I think it is safe to say that the male golfers are not going to be in favor of having their sponsorships and prize money be diluted by female golfers.

This isn't me being sexist. I'm just stating the economic reality of the situation.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How about a golf tournament with Tiger's mistresses?

Comment

Working...
                  X