Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

I think this event was a good lesson that hurricane kits aren't just for hurricane season and should be stocked year round. I was really grateful that I didn't have to head out on the highways and biways, waiting in long lines for food, water and gas.

Speaking of long lines...very long lines. McDonald's and Subway, both in my Waikiki building, had lines snaking out of the building this morning. It was astounding to see. I just spoke to a young, McD's counter person and that store did NOT close, is across the street from the Ala Wai boat harbor and at street level with an entrance that faces makai. Police shut down our entire area and roamed, several times, with loud speakers announcing a mandatory evacuation...either up or out. Still, McDs didn't close. Isn't that somehow illegal to put your employees in harm's way under evacuation conditions? I told the counter guy to put in for hazard pay! That store is franchised not corporate. I wonder if corporate owned stores in the inundation zones were closed. Zippy's closed.

Ooooh...I feel a complaint letter coming on! I would've been furious if any of those employees were my kids. None are...and I'm still furious!

Loved experiencing Facebook under today's conditions. I heard Twitter was amazing but I'm not a Twit...ummm Tweeter...whatever!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I think this event was a good lesson that hurricane kits aren't just for hurricane season and should be stocked year round. I was really grateful that I didn't have to head out on the highways and biways, waiting in long lines for food, water and gas.
      TTS, very good point!

The past years' hurricane seasons (May through November) has kept most of us in Hawaii well-prepared for our other most-feared natural disaster, a Tsunami.

I still have all the checklist items stocked up in my cabinet, so never needed to run to the store for emergency preparedness items this morning, except to the gas station to fill my car up.

To note, I can clearly see the Ala Wai canal from my place, and around noon, it went through several speedy cycles of high and low tide levels, with a noticeable inbound/outbound current as the water flowed in and out towards the ocean. Nothing dramatic, but certainly noticeable.

I took a video of it. I'll try and piece it together to share here later.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        [...]
        To note, I can clearly see the Ala Wai canal from my place, and around noon, it went through several speedy cycles of high and low tide levels, with a noticeable inbound/outbound current as the water flowed in and out towards the ocean. Nothing dramatic, but certainly noticeable.

I took a video of it. I'll try and piece it together to share here later.
        I spent 3 hours in my daughter's unit in my building because she faces the ocean and the Ala Wai boat harbor so I could see the mouth of the canal. The tide got really weird. I was gauging it from a small corner of the boat harbor where there's normally no bottom showing. I could see the ebb and flow with the exposure of the sandy bottom then the water would cover it...then expose it...lather...rinse...repeat! I was kinda waiting for a couple of small boats to end up on high ground! Didn't happen tho'.

Comment

I think if there had been people in the water, we'd have had some swimming accidents, maybe fatalities.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            I think if there had been people in the water, we'd have had some swimming accidents, maybe fatalities.
            There WAS someone in the water, right in Waikiki! A surfer! He was paddling out about 10.45am (right before D-time). It was captured by the Waikiki beach citycam, which was pointed towards the surf in the middle of Waikiki. It was shown on Hawaii News Now, where a broadcaster named Taizo called him out as a "shmuck" or "idiot" or something like that. The other news team folks were egging him after that.

Eventually the HFD helicopter dropped in directly above this "shmuck" surfer and ORDERED him in. Which he obliged. Shmuck. lol
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There WAS someone in the water, right in Waikiki! A surfer! He was paddling out about 10.45am (right before D-time). It was captured by the Waikiki beach citycam, which was pointed towards the surf in the middle of Waikiki.[...]
              At 11:15a, someone on Facebook started up a page: "The idiot who was swimming in Waikiki during the tsunami warning". It was mentioned on the news and now has over 4300 fans...in slightly over 5 hours!!! The shmuck touched a nerve! And, yes, I became a fan!

ETA...Howard Dicus' take on the "shmuck"!
              Last edited by tutusue; February 27, 2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Who knows? The guy may make it on the Jay Leno Show.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                At 11:15a, someone on Facebook started up a page: "The idiot who was swimming in Waikiki during the tsunami warning". It was mentioned on the news and now has over 4300 fans...in slightly over 5 hours!!! The shmuck touched a nerve! And, yes, I became a fan!

ETA...Howard Dicus' take on the "shmuck"!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Who knows? The guy may make it on the Jay Leno Show.
                  And the guy who started the FB page will probably end up on Ellen!!!

Comment

I belong to a listserv where someone on the mainland posted that his cousin was surfing in the water during the warning period and got captured on camera. I wonder if that "fecalcephalic" person (man, I love me some Howard Dicus) was his cousin? Oops.

Comment

I filled up WaterBob...now have to use up a bathtub full of water. I guess that's a good problem to have!

Comment

Is today National Tsunami Day?
                        What's the name of today's Tsunami?
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; February 27, 2010, 07:38 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't worry about all this non-event tsunami drama.

Although I will say it's been greater than 24 hours, and I haven't been bombarded with relief aid pleas for Chile yet. I guess humanitarians deem them less deserving.

Besides, the "surfer schmuck" should be allowed to stay out in the ocean if he so desires. It's his life and his fun time. If he wants to drown, then that's the consequence of his choice.

Comment

Well, it's good to take these things seriously. Far better to take it seriously and have nothing happen than to get caught totally by surprise and be unprepared in case it did happen.

I wouldn't mind so much if people choose to exercise their own choices and then don't endanger anyone else asking to be saved. Like the people who stayed when Katrina hit way past the warning to get out deadline and then begged for someone to come rescue them when it really happened.

Comment

This is not a non-event tsunami. It did happen, granted no one got hurt nor did the water level rise enough to flood inland, but if nothing was done there would be damage to boats and ships that were docked at their piers. As it stands there was enough time for those vessels to head out to open ocean to ride out the tsumami.

Comment

A hurricane is a no-BS trackable weather event with known disasterous conditions with ample warning and plenty of time for evacuation. Hurricanes in that region are traditionally dangerous. If someone wants to stay through that, it's still tempting the fate of Darwinism. It's almost as dumb as Harry Truman on Mt. St. Helens, but it was his choice.

The last dozen earthquakes to hit the Pacific Rim of any sizeable magnitude didn't do much to Hawaii, if anything. If a max 13-20 ft swell rushes through, it won't stay that long. It's not like a lingering hurricane is approaching Hawaii with prolonged impact. As mentioned, with this 8.8, and the earlier mentioned higher magnitude quake, Hawaii's impact was minimal.

Comment

Working...
                                X