Sports Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Radio

Erika reports in this morning's Star Bulletin that Fox Sports Radio feeds will be on the returning KUPA:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...urrection.html

Re: Sports Radio

They oughta hire John Miro, the best sportscaster in the islands by far. He's currently doing the morning show at 101.1 FM, the jazz station.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Jim Rome? He talks in SoCal pidgin.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        They oughta hire John Miro, the best sportscaster in the islands by far. He's currently doing the morning show at 101.1 FM, the jazz station.
        Better yet,.... if KUPA wants to survive as a sports station in this town, they oughta outbid everyone else for the UH radio rights when KKEA's contract expires next year.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Where's John Noland?

Comment

Sports Radio

Friends, I hate to break it to you, but AM radio is dead and nearly gone. Sports radio may be the only sustainable format other than maybe other than English languages. A station at such a high frequency on the dial has many problems not the least of which it just doesn't get out very far.

Nothing personal to anyone, I wish to make that clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ongre View Post
              Friends, I hate to break it to you, but AM radio is dead and nearly gone. Sports radio may be the only sustainable format other than maybe other than English languages. A station at such a high frequency on the dial has many problems not the least of which it just doesn't get out very far.

Nothing personal to anyone, I wish to make that clear.
              as in Clear Channel? DOH!!!

yeah the glory days of AM is but a fading memory.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Nothing on 1370 yet.....

Comment

And as of today March 24th...still nothing.

Comment

In most markets one sports station carries the bulk of the listeners and the others lag behind. The one that is featuring local program content is in general the leader.

I imagine that the 1370 folks are having to obtain a phasor and make it work on whatever tower they are planning to use for their co-location if there is only one other station on that tower or having to design a tri or quadraplexer if they are going to a multi station tower...this is not only expensive but also requires an extensive "proof of performance" on the facility after construction for them to receive a license to cover the new construction. Perhaps they are seeking a place to put up a phone pole and utilize a Special Temporary Authority to broadcast from it using an invereted V antenna design or are going to use a Valcom Whip antenna from the corner of a lot. I have not checked the FCC for any technical info on KUPA to see what they are doing from a tech standpoint-henceforth the speculation. Guess I will look and report back if I see anything.

Editorial comment: AM is far from dead...Top raters (Of the top 10 stations in many markets there are from one to several that are AM) and top billers in many markets are still AM. The biggest issue with AM are crappy receivers and owners who don't invest in a high quality of equipment and in the patently defective Ibiquity AM digital system.
                    Last edited by maximumradio; March 28, 2010, 03:32 PM. Reason: syntax error

Comment

Here is your KUPA FCC info.
                      http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=26441

Here is the FCC site for searching for any broadcasting info.
                      http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/

Comment

Originally posted by maximumradio View Post
                        In most markets one sports station carries the bulk of the listeners and the others lag behind. The one that is featuring local program content is in general the leader.

I imagine that the 1370 folks are having to obtain a phasor and make it work on whatever tower they are planning to use for their co-location if there is only one other station on that tower or having to design a tri or quadraplexer if they are going to a multi station tower...this is not only expensive but also requires an extensive "proof of performance" on the facility after construction for them to receive a license to cover the new construction. Perhaps they are seeking a place to put up a phone pole and utilize a Special Temporary Authority to broadcast from it using an invereted V antenna design or are going to use a Valcom Whip antenna from the corner of a lot. I have not checked the FCC for any technical info on KUPA to see what they are doing from a tech standpoint-henceforth the speculation. Guess I will look and report back if I see anything.

Editorial comment: AM is far from dead...Top raters (Of the top 10 stations in many markets there are from one to several that are AM) and top billers in many markets are still AM. The biggest issue with AM are crappy receivers and owners who don't invest in a high quality of equipment and in the patently defective Ibiquity AM digital system.

WHOOSH!!!! That went right over the heads of many...reminds me of the time KHVH ran a shortwave antenna hidden in the canefields on Oahu when they lost their lease on their transmitter tower.

Yes AM can be a cash cow but mainly for the syndicated talk programs and the occasional purchase of block air time for local and national sporting and special interest programming.

But it's glory days of Top 40 have gone the wayside a few decades ago. In Honolulu KHBZ makes a crapload of money in half and full hour infomercials plus nationally syndicated talk shows. KHBZ is basically a computer tied to a DRR that receives, records and plays back satellite fed programming. There not even a studio to speak of. PD's are fine with this kind of programming if it brings in the bacon. And for what little it was it was a cash cow bringing in a boatload of money with little overhead.

Politics, sports, health, Coast to Coast, morning drive and infomercials is about what AM represents now.

From a music radio perspective though, AM has lost that format in most markets. Like you indicated the badly engineered AM radios don't give AM justice. AM can actually sound as clean as FM coming off it's transmitter's final output stage. It's the receivers that give it that patented bad sound.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 29, 2010, 12:16 PM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

KIKI AM 990 will be switching its talk show format to all sports on Thursday. The station will re-brand as "Fox Sports 990". As part of the format switch KIKI will be also carrying live L.A Dodgers Baseball and Tennessee Titans football (which feature Hawaii born QB Marcus Mariota).

The news was published in the Star Advertiser today (Erika Engle).
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            KIKI AM 990 will be switching its talk show format to all sports on Thursday.
                            Who were the radio talk show hosts with the old format?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Who were the radio talk show hosts with the old format?
                              I give up already. I try to get replies on the board by asking questions. This is like a broken pen. Pointless!

Comment

Working...
                              X