Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hawai'i Tea Party against Taxes!

2010 Hawaii Tax Day Tea Party http://www.overtaxedhawaii.com/
    Speak up and be there if you believe we're being over-taxed and the possible raising of our tax burden is not properly representing us!

Where: Hawaii State Capitol Building

When: Thursday April 15, 2010
    Educational Seminar from 1pm to 4pm
    Protest Rally from 4pm to 7pm

I'm truly an Independant and think there are good and bad ideas from all parties.
    But the State of Hawaii wastes so much of our money and not taking care of the things important to me.
    So I feel taxed without representation! Or mis-represented! How 'bout you?
    Last edited by Menehune Man; March 3, 2010, 04:53 PM. Reason: Add of course
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: A Hawai'i Tea Party against Taxes!

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    So I feel taxed without representation! Or mis-represented! How 'bout you?
    I don't feel overtaxed. The United States has one of the lowest tax rates of all the industrialized nations.

The big three items in the Federal Budget, accounting for over 50% of the budget, are: The Military, Social Security, and Medicare. Which one do you want to cut MM? Everything else amounts to less than 5% individually.

The American Tea Party refuses to repudiate the Nazis and racists among their membership. Where do you stand MM? Why belong to a movement that not only accepts, but encourages those types of members?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I agree with your points above Matapule.
      But I'm talking of Hawaii STATE taxes and they are high.
      And constantly being spent foolishly. IMO

Comment

In philosophy, I'm all for any rally that campaigns against implementing any new taxes (federal/state/local) at this time.

But speaking for myself, I'm leery of being a part of any demonstration that is known as a "Tea Party," with all the baggage that label now carries. Too many of the mainland Tea Party rallies have had protestors with signs that are borderline racist or calls the President a Nazi.

If they just called it an "anti-tax" demonstration, I would be a lot more comfortable being a part of that. A Tea Party, at this point, carries an implication of an event that simply attacks the President.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 3, 2010, 05:35 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          I don't feel overtaxed.
          Then matapule should be taxed more, about 80% of her income, voluntarily.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Then matapule should be taxed more, about 80% of her income, voluntarily.
            How do you know I don't?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

But I'm talking of Hawaii STATE taxes and they are high.
              Hawaii at #5 and California #6 (where I am a legal resident are near the top, but not the highest. Much of a State budget goes to State employee wages. You could cut back the number of employees and consequently services, but where does that get you except massive recession. The problem is that most people want increased services with lower taxes. It ain't gonna happen.

And constantly being spent foolishly. IMO
              You might want to consider running for an office. Matapule has held both elected and appointed public offices. Believe me, there are no easy answers. It is one thing to complain about taxes and another thing to propose realistic solutions. I would like to see fewer tax protests and more proposals for solutions.

MM, I know you are not a racist. Do not support any organization that condones racism.
              Last edited by matapule; March 3, 2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Try The Coffee Party instead.

Comment

How about a Pot Party? I'm there, dude.

Comment

What's in the Pot Party? Sounds like a hit!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

How do you know I don't?
                      80% too little? Give 90%.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

First off, thanks for the few PMs. unexpected, cool.

I am not against paying taxes.
                        I am thankful for the amenities our society provides.

That said...
                        I just believe that it could be run with a better 'business' model than at present.
                        Anyone who pays attention to local news knows of many instances where the State has pulled some bonehead(wasteful) moves.
                        Again and again. Agree?

So am not really interested in having more of my paycheck disappear for State taxes, unless I thought it would truly make a difference.

Comment

1)Hawaii at #5 and California #6 (where I am a legal resident are near the top, but not the highest. 2)Much of a State budget goes to State employee wages. You could cut back the number of employees and consequently services, but where does that get you except massive recession. The problem is that most people want increased services with lower taxes. It ain't gonna happen.

3)You might want to consider running for an office. 4)Matapule has held both elected and appointed public offices. Believe me, there are no easy answers.
                          5)It is one thing to complain about taxes and another thing to propose realistic solutions. I would like to see fewer tax protests and more proposals for solutions.

6)MM, I know you are not a racist. Do not support any organization that condones racism.
                          1) Okay 5 & 6 means we're not the highest taxed, but that means there are 44 or 45 less taxed.
                          2) Have you been into any of a few State offices lately? I have. Do you think they're run well and efficiently?
                          3) I am organized in work mode, personable and do care. Think there may be a skeleton or two though...
                          4) That's cool. Thanks for doing it. Really.
                          5) Okay I understand. I would rather see true action out of our elected officials with the funds they have had at their disposal, instead of protesting the lack of it.
                          6) Yes, I'm definitely not racist. So I wouldn't be going as one and will keep an eye open as to what I see.

Ain't America Great! We can agree to disagree even. I like it.

Comment

1) Okay 5 & 6 means we're not the highest taxed, but that means there are 44 or 45 less taxed.
                            Which one of the 45 less taxed States would you choose to live in? I've been to most of them and I can't think of one I'd rather live in.

2) Have you been into any of a few State offices lately? I have. Do you think they're run well and efficiently?
                            Give me an example of something that is perfectly well run and efficient. Toyota was always the model in the automobile industry..........but?

3) I am organized in work mode, personable and do care. Think there may be a skeleton or two though...
                            I doubt there are any of us who don't have a skeleton or two in our backgrounds. Just be honest about it, be up front, be positive and tell what you have learned from the experience, and move on. Yes, matapule did smoke a joint or two at one time and unlike Clinton, he did inhale. In fact, matapule has yet to exhale !

5) Okay I understand. I would rather see true action out of our elected officials with the funds they have had at their disposal, instead of protesting the lack of it.
                            Kay den, what is "true action?" Cut costs? What costs? So you don't want a cut in taxes, you want those tax funds redirected? Where?

There is a lot of wisdom in the HT ohana. Let's work out the issues right here on this forum. Let's see some concrete proposals. I'll start with one.

I would like to see all State employed teachers be required to pass an annual competency exam written by someone other than the State Employees Union. As a result, I want the Hawaii student academic rankings to be the highest in the nation. I would like to see State employed teachers be required to work 12 months a year - 9 months teaching and 3 months in other State offices. I would like to see State teacher salaries increased by about 25% to 33% with that increase funded by a State income tax increase for all incomes over $100K and an increase in property tax on all property with a combined value over $250K (that includes the combined value of residential and commercial properties in one household). This will discourage a run up up in value by speculators. Sure, it would be necessary to close some loopholes but this is a conceptual idea, not a comprehensive one.

Now you can focus on my proposal if you wish, but I would like to see other viable proposals too. Let's work out this tax problem right here!

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...argeted-by-irs

Let's get ready to rumble!
                              Tea Party vs. IRS

Comment

Working...
                              X