Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shakey's Pizza - Waipahu

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Pomai: And you are wrong about kim chee pizza. My own kitchen experiments led me to the creation of kim chee pizza and it's great. I was making English-muffin pizzas (with my own home-made sauce) and ran out of stuff to put atop the cheese. I had a jar of Halm's kim chee in the fridge (it's one of my favorite breakfasts) so I made a few pizzas with kim chee. It was really good. I've since made it many times and I always love it. I prefer the thicker, whiter pieces of won bok because of the extra bite they lend, but it's pretty much all good. Try it.
    What kind of "homemade" sauce did you make? Was it like a tomato-based marinara type? I just can't imagine Kim Chee tasting good on that, but hey, I won't knock 'til I try it! If you say it was good, I'll trust your palate on that one!

I DO KNOW Kim Chee DOES NOT go well on a hot dog...

Here's what I said about it:
    Yes, a Kim Chee Hot Dog. This beast of a dog is made using a Kosher Sinai Hot Dog (the big Costco ‘kine), covered with no bean chili and a huge pile of Kim Chee. What did I think of it? Sorry, I didn’t like it. The Kim Chee is just too acidic to compliment the hot dog.
    Getting back to topic (sort of), I'm surprised the Shakey's Pizza locations in the Philippines haven't adopted their country's foods as toppings. Perhaps a Pork or Chicken Adobo Pizza! Or, instead of a Pepperoni Pizza, how about a Longanisa Sausage Pizza! For some reason, both of those ideas sound like they'd taste mighty masarap (delicious)!

I'm skeptical a Dinuguan Pizza would work though.

I can't believe Shakey's (US) Has the 'Hawaiian Pizza' listed as one of their "classics". And yes, what makes it "Hawaiian" is Pineapple and Ham. I still don't get what's so "Hawaiian" about that.

I heard Big Kahuna's Pizza (formerly) in Mapunapuna, now by the airport) makes a mighty tasty Kalua Pork Pizza. Now THAT I can see being called a "Hawaiian Pizza".
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

from wikipedia....doesnt seem very definitive:

Hawaiian pizza is a pizza that usually consists of a cheese and tomato base with pieces of ham and pineapple. Some versions include bacon, shrimp, green pepper, mushrooms, onions and/or jalapenos, but the version with ham and pineapple only is the most common. It is the most popular pizza in Australia, accounting for 15% of pizza sales.[1]

Despite its name, Hawaiian pizza is not a Hawaiian invention. In Italy, "Hawaiian" pizza is considered to be a German invention[2] (or a German modification of Italian cuisine), similar to the Toast Hawaii. A Canadian restaurant owner named Sam Panopoulos claims to have first come up with the idea of placing pineapples and ham on a regular pizza in 1960 at the Family Circle Restaurant in Chatham, Ontario, Canada.
      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

My apartment in Japan in 1974 was next door to a commercial hotel (meaning it catered to salarymen presumably trying to sell to the naval base or whatever other industry Yokosuka had at the time). Occasionally I'd get hungry and forsake my single-burner gas plate in my no-hot-water, no shower, flush-benjo apartment and go upstairs in that hotel for a meal. They offered something called a Hawaiian plate, which was a slice of ham with a (canned) pineapple ring on top of it.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          I can't believe Shakey's (US) Has the 'Hawaiian Pizza' listed as one of their "classics". And yes, what makes it "Hawaiian" is Pineapple and Ham. I still don't get what's so "Hawaiian" about that.
          People around the world associate pineapples with Hawaii. Even though the local pineapple industry's heyday is long past, the imagery of pineapple fields in the islands is so strong that it continues to live on in many people's minds.

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
          Occasionally I'd get hungry and forsake my single-burner gas plate in my no-hot-water, no shower, flush-benjo apartment and go upstairs in that hotel for a meal.
          Benjo. Only in Hawaii do I hear that word.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            That's what it was called in Japan when I lived there.

Try to use it when you've got an ankle-to-hip plaster cast on, by the way.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
              That's what it was called in Japan when I lived there.
              Yeah, well, just as a friendly tip to anyone who plans to visit Japan and wants to make a good impression: Don't say "benjo" if you need to go to the bathroom in someone's home. Much more polite to say "otearai." And if you can't remember that, most Japanese people will understand "toilet."
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 15, 2010, 09:51 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Benjo or Obenjo is old school and can be found in some rural areas of Japan and quite frequently here in Hawaii where we hold onto traditional customs.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Benjo or Obenjo is old school and can be found in some rural areas of Japan and quite frequently here in Hawaii where we hold onto traditional customs.
                  Well, it must be way, WAY out in the boondocks of Japan, because I've never once heard benjo/obenjo from a Japanese tourist all the time I worked in the visitor industry.

The only time I've heard that term being used by someone actually from Japan was my late grandmother. And she emigrated into the US way back in 1921!

Benjo is an antiquated term. That it's still being used by some local Japanese-Americans today is due to the fact that the more recent and refined terms for toilet/bathroom was never incorporated into the Japanese vocabulary that the nisei generation learned from their parents. It's not case of AJAs holding on to a tradition, IMO.

But hey, if anyone wants to go around in public in Japan using an antiquated and vulgar term that might embarrass their hosts/friends, be my guest. Just remember that 50 years ago, it was also considered socially acceptable in this country to refer to African-Americans as being "Negro." Try casually using that term in your conversations today and see what happens.

Comment

It's sad that Benjo is vulgar. Just like the Shakuhachi flute. Today it has a derogatory slang to it.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

*bump*

One news story said there were 4 Shakey's Pizza Parlor locations on Oahu back in the 70's. It's already been confirmed the Koreamoku location (currently Sorabol), Kaneohe and Waimalu (on Kamehameha Hwy).

Where was the 4th location? I'm guessing somewhere out Kahala side? University area? Anyone know?
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I believe it was at Schofield Barracks. I never went there, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it was there. The one that I went to most was Waimalu.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          I believe it was at Schofield Barracks. I never went there, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it was there. The one that I went to most was Waimalu.
                          That's it! Thanks!

Through your tip, I found this Dining Out article the return of Shakey's Pizza to Hawaii.

If interested, there's an entire listing of bygone Oahu eateries in my latest blog post here: Oahu Eateries Memorialized
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

One of the early users of cool webcams was the Food
                            court

They had a great steerable cam.

Comment

Working...
                            X