Shakey's Pizza - Waipahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakey's Pizza - Waipahu

Saw the Weekly's interior pic today, nothing like the original. Is it open, anybody been?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Shakey's Pizza - Waipahu

An article was published in today's Star Bulletin:

Families sure to love return of Shakey's

The first of three planned restaurants opened Feb. 24 at Waipahu Town Center, around the corner from Longs, where Blockbuster used to be.
    Shakey's has a big presence in the Philippines. Any chance they chose Waipahu town to start for that reason?

They should have kicked out Sorabol on Koreamoku street and opened there first! After all that building Sorabol is in was originally a Shakey's back in the 70's!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      They should have kicked out Sorabol on Koreamoku street
      Honey, buy me pizza and drinku.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Honey, buy me pizza and drinku.
        Now that you mention that, how about a Kalbi or Bulgogi Pizza? Or Bi Bim Bap Pizza? Never seen that done yet.

Don't even think about adding Kim Chee on Pizza, though. I Seriously don't think that would taste good at all.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Went there this past week and had their lunch buffet: pizza, spaghetti, mac and cheese, salad bar, etc...We also ordered chicken wings and it was cooked to perfection. Am I in a hurry to go back? Probably not. Maybe in a couple few months...

Comment

I remember Shakey's on Keeaumoku. It was so dark in there you couldn't see what you were sitting on when you planted your okole on those long wooden picnic benches inside.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I remember the one on Kamehameha Hwy in Waimalu. I'm trying to remember exactly what's on that site now. For a while there were two restaurants, and then they got demolished and something else went up. Maybe it's the Firestone Tire place that's on the actual piece of land Shakey's was on out here.

They used to have a sign that said something like "We made a deal: we won't take checks, you won't make pizza." That's not exactly right, though, because it's not funny. The actual sign was funny.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I remember Shakey's on Keeaumoku. It was so dark in there you couldn't see what you were sitting on when you planted your okole
                That's the MO of a business on Keeaumoku. You can't see the too much makeup of the hostesses when it's dark.

Comment

I remember Shakey's on Keeaumoku. It was so dark in there you couldn't see what you were sitting on when you planted your okole on those long wooden picnic benches inside.
                  It sure was. Red Baron's was the same way. That's how pizza parlors were in those days.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    That's the MO of a business on Keeaumoku. You can't see the too much makeup of the hostesses when it's dark.
                    Yep they say, "You like touchie...you buy me drinkie"

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Don't even think about adding Kim Chee on Pizza, though. I Seriously don't think that would taste good at all.
                      Pomai: For a couple of years back in the late 80s or early 90s, there was a place in Pearl Kai called Kieran's Chinese Pizza. My church buddies and I used to go there ALL the time. It was pizza with Chinese-food names, like beef broccoli pizza, or lemon chicken pizza. It was delicious. I'm pretty sure it was in the spot that's now Ricado's. I love Ricado's, but I miss that old pizza place.

And you are wrong about kim chee pizza. My own kitchen experiments led me to the creation of kim chee pizza and it's great. I was making English-muffin pizzas (with my own home-made sauce) and ran out of stuff to put atop the cheese. I had a jar of Halm's kim chee in the fridge (it's one of my favorite breakfasts) so I made a few pizzas with kim chee. It was really good. I've since made it many times and I always love it. I prefer the thicker, whiter pieces of won bok because of the extra bite they lend, but it's pretty much all good. Try it.

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                      I remember the one on Kamehameha Hwy in Waimalu. I'm trying to remember exactly what's on that site now. For a while there were two restaurants, and then they got demolished and something else went up. Maybe it's the Firestone Tire place that's on the actual piece of land Shakey's was on out here.
                      That site became Edokko Restaurant in the late eighties, one of those cook-at-your-table yakiniku buffets. My mom was the first manager of that restaurant and stayed for five years or so. I'm fairly certain it's where the McD's is now, across Pearlridge. It's hard to picture now because Pearl Kai wasn't there yet, and I don't quite remember what that space looked like before they put Pearl Kai there!
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I remember making Kim Chee pizzas on english muffins back in the 60's with Ragu spaghetti sauce or something like that.

Comment

I remember making Kim Chee pizzas on english muffins back in the 60's with Ragu spaghetti sauce or something like that.
                          Oh dear. Well, there's no accounting for taste.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

They had pizza in the sixties?

I think the fact that Pomai, craig, and I each thought of the idea independently indicates that there's definitely an idea there, even if we vary in our responses to the thought.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                              Oh dear. Well, there's no accounting for taste.
                              Let's just say my taste buds were budding. Oh and Kim chee on a Ritz...not a good thing either.

Comment

Working...
                              X