Census 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Census 2010

I'm dissapointed they had no selections for multi-gendered or for polyamorous families.
    this is discimination, isn't it?
    And in my case I had to check about every ethnic group listed, but it still didn't accurately describe me!
    Next year they should let ME do it!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

They need a category for 'Modern American'. Not Native Am. or Swiss Am. or African Am.

But Modern American. Meaning somebody like me, who has a Heinz 57 geneology, and is a 4th generation SF Bay Area native.

I've never seen the Caucus Mountains. And have no relatives whatsoever from Middle or Eastern Europe. So how could I possibly be Caucasian?

I think 'race' is a stupid question in the first place. One Planet. All Human. The rest is just culture.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Is it just me...or am I reading it wrong????

the notice that came with the form says to " please complete and mail back the enclosed census form TODAY"

But how can you do that IF the census is asking and counting people living on the date of 'April 1, 2010'?

I find this not clear...because heaven forbid, but someone CAN pass on or leave the United States within the few days until April 1st, right?

I am holding back sending it out until April 2nd...as for my brother, he already mailed it out...

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
          Is it just me...or am I reading it wrong????

the notice that came with the form says to " please complete and mail back the enclosed census form TODAY"

But how can you do that IF the census is asking and counting people living on the date of 'April 1, 2010'?

I find this not clear...because heaven forbid, but someone CAN pass on or leave the United States within the few days until April 1st, right?

I am holding back sending it out until April 2nd...as for my brother, he already mailed it out...
          It sounds like you're waiting for someone to leave (or die) before April 1st.

"Tutu's mahkeh? Yes. I no have to put her."
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            They need a category for 'Modern American'. Not Native Am. or Swiss Am. or African Am.

But Modern American.
            What's the difference between that and Archaic American?

Comment

I think 'race' is a stupid question in the first place. One Planet. All Human. The rest is just culture.
              Yeah, convince that to NAACP.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Yeah, convince that to NAACP.
                to them white isn't a color
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What's the difference between that and Archaic American?
                  Deceased by 4/1/10.

Comment

But I'm not white. A little red after sun. A little orange. Spotted with brown freckles. Green eyes, that turn blue on the water, and brown at night. Got some darker parts. And some lighter parts. A bristly 'fro on the top. And enough hair every else to be confused with a bear rug.

Yup, Modern American.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I hear through the grape vine that more than a few are planning on checking the "other" box and then writing in American. Me, I'm gonna write "medium"

Comment

Is a Modern American one of those Progressives?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          I hear through the grape vine that more than a few are planning on checking the "other" box and then writing in American. Me, I'm gonna write "medium"
                          Hmm. I no think they're asking for your size.

Comment

Hmm. I no think they're asking for your size.
                            lol - was referring to skin color, but yeah medium pretty much describes me all around (except for the store bought blonde of course )

Comment

I just got off the 'phone with a real person at the Census Bureau (their 1-866 number . . .)
                              I had two questions (real questions, not trying to be antagonistic):
                              If information is supposed to be current as of April 1, how come I have been reminded more than once to send in the completed questionnaire as soon as possible?
                              After some back and forth, in which the census person resorted often to her prepared answer material, she did indicate that "if we have not received a completed census form by April 9, there is a possibility that you will be visited by a census worker at your place of residence."
                              So, I said, the real deadline is April 9? She acknowledged that, yes, that could be considered the "deadline," although the census bureau has not set a deadline for response - and please send in your completed form as soon as possible.
                              OK.
                              Second question - ref question five regarding Hispanic heritage. Gramma married a cowboy from Spain who was working on a ranch on Maui a long time ago, so there's some small amount of genuine Spanish blood in the veins of folks in our (immediate, nuclear) family. Do we identify as Hispanic?
                              Had a long discussion about how people here are often asked: "What are you?" which often is followed by reeling off sometimes a dozen ethnicities - and my kids always include "Spanish."
                              This discussion went on for some time - but the bottom-line conclusion was: "It's up to you how you want to respond."
                              Our daughter, living independently on the mainland, chose not to identify Hispanic. My spouse, and our adult son still living at home, feel otherwise, even though the koko quantum at this point is pretty diluted. We're still debating . . . BUT will be sure to get the completed form in no later than April 9 to avoid a posible knock on the door.
                              Interesting process.

Comment

Everyone's supposed to get a short questionaire with 10 questions. A lucky few get an colon exam length book with invasive questions.
                                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                                "
                                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                                X