No announcement yet.

Advice for keiki on the 5 hour flight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for keiki on the 5 hour flight?

I've researched a little about this elsewhere, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has had any experiences they would want to share on the topic of keeping sane with a 14 month old, flying from the mainland west coast to Hawai'i (and vice-versa). Chances are pretty good we'll use Hawaiian Airlines, as their prices seem comparable to other airlines and my experiences with them have been sooo much nicer.

Does the "lap baby" thing really work? That seems somewhat more dangerous in addition to being harder to work out for keeping them sane for 5 hours.

The car seat approach seems safer, but it's a gamble on if you can use it, unless you pay a full adult fare. It kinda hurts to pay for a full adult ticket for him, though I understand why.

Eeenyway Any advice (or stories) anyone has on the subject would be much appreciated!

Re: Advice for keiki on the 5 hour flight?

Originally posted by honulani View Post
    Any advice (or stories) anyone has on the subject would be much appreciated!
    Our child was about the same age as your's when we took a mainland flight. We paid for a passenger seat for the child, and used a car seat onboard. About an hour out the plane had engine trouble and had to turn back, and while still in the air the pilot discharged all the extra fuel (so we would not be landing with so much dangerous fuel on board). Watching the fuel spray, and then coming in for a landing knowing we had engine trouble, well, I can tell you that during that time I knew that some of the best money I'd ever spent was for ticketing my child so that they had a passenger seat (and thus car seat). I'd not want to have been trying to "hang on" to my child if the plane had a rough or problematic landing. I fly a lot. I am not afraid to fly. But that was a frightening experience, and I was glad I'd not cheapened out by trying to save money at the expense of my child's safety.

Look at it this way, at what point are you willing to put safety first? From the beginning of your child's life, or just wait until the airline tells you to do so as the child ages? Of course the answer is from day one. So, buy the child a seat, and enjoy a wonderful trip!
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Buy the extra fare and use a car seat. For your own sanity, you'll be glad you did.

The airlines can be pretty brutal on checking "extras" at the gate, and having a boarding pass for your kid may let you bring an extra toys/supplies bag into the cabin. For example if the car seat is part of a stroller then they'll probably want to take the stroller away at the end of the ramp and put it into checked luggage. But if you have a boarding pass for your keiki then you'll be able to bring their toys/supplies bag without having to give up your grownups carryon.

If you buy them their own seat then you may be able to special-order a kid's meal.

You know how many diapers you'll need for a five-hour flight. Once you determine that number... double it. I don't want to get into how we learned it, but something about altitude or cabin humidity makes their little kidneys work overtime.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Starve them and play with them HARD for the 3-5 hours leading up to the flight.

Feed them their favorite meal, and let them eat until they are crushingly full.

Some nighttime Robitussin, a good potty stop, and I'll see you in 5 hours.

Better living through chemistry.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Some nighttime Robitussin, a good potty stop, and I'll see you in 5 hours.
          For the keiki, or for yourself?

Comment

My friends had kids (3) all 2 years apart. They said people would cringe as they boarded and took up the whole middle row. People were amazed at how quiet they were and that they slept almost the entire way to NY.....She swore by Benadryl dosing.

Comment

My girls' pediatrician also suggested Benadryl. And that was 40 years ago! He also recommended sucking on a bottle during descent, to help the ear pressure. So I brought my own 1.5 liter bottle of Chardonnay to alleviate any ear pain I might have!

Comment

Nintendo DS, a spare battery and a portable DVD player along with snacks and candy.

As for the kid, I have no idea

But seriously, any decongestant would be wise only because when the plane begins it's descent, the ears begin to pop and that's when you start hearing the crying babies and toddlers. They don't understand the pain in their ears. Keeping the eustacian tubes clear and open will keep their ears from getting all plugged up and painful.
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 21, 2010, 09:32 PM.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  But seriously, any decongestant would be wise only because when the plane begins it's descent, the ears begin to pop and that's when you start hearing the crying babies and toddlers. They don't understand the pain in their ears. Keeping the eustacian tubes clear and open will keep their ears from getting all plugged up and painful.
                  Benadryl is (or at least used to be) recommended because it is an antihistamine, which has the side affect of sleepiness. I'd not be mixing in a decongestant. Also, things have changed in the world of antihistamines, and some are now "non-sedating". You'd need to check with the pharmacist to make sure you were selecting a "sleep inducing" version, if you plan on using it to make the kids sleepy.

Having the baby drink something during take off and landing helps with the ears. The secret to that is to make sure they are thirsty at the right moment. You have to hold back fluids a bit at stragetic times because if they won't take a bottle at the right time, you are out of luck. whaaaa whaaaaa.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                    Benadryl is (or at least used to be) recommended because it is an antihistamine, which has the side affect of sleepiness. I'd not be mixing in a decongestant. Also, things have changed in the world of antihistamines, and some are now "non-sedating". You'd need to check with the pharmacist to make sure you were selecting a "sleep inducing" version, if you plan on using it to make the kids sleepy.

Having the baby drink something during take off and landing helps with the ears. The secret to that is to make sure they are thirsty at the right moment. You have to hold back fluids a bit at stragetic times because if they won't take a bottle at the right time, you are out of luck. whaaaa whaaaaa.
                    Nobody should ever recommend an antihistamine for other than intended purposes. I know it's used a lot however no doctor will ever go on record as doing such.

The idea is to open up nasal passages and the estacion tubes to equalize inner ear pressures and the sinuses. Blockage of these two tubes can result in lots of ear pressure build up upon descent. Decongestants will alleviate this pressure build up by keeping these tubes open and clear.

As for lulling the baby to sleep, warm milk works the best (if you can get some on board). Child abuse charges for intentional use of Benadryl or Dimatapp to make an infant drowsy during flight can be upheld in a family court. You may as well give them beer.

I don't want to be a spoil sport because we all probably do it, however you don't want to get caught doing it. If you do your homework right you tell the nosy onlooker that your baby has a cold. If you tell them it's to make your baby relaxed, oh boy you'll have the cops on your hands with CPS making the call to remove your child from your custody.

That's the reality check.

Comment

Nobody should ever recommend an antihistamine for other than intended purposes. I know it's used a lot however no doctor will ever go on record as doing such.[...]
                      See post #7.

Comment

We've paid for seats many times only to have our kids have total fits and ended up having to carry them most of the way nonetheless. It does hurt paying full price but they'll be two soon enough and will be paying anyways, so....

Never tried the Benadryl; although we know it's perfectly safe when used in the proper dose I just have trouble dispensing medication when it's not medically necessary. We use the drinking/eating on takeoff/landings and it's worked well. (Knock wood.)

For the mainland-bound flight you might try the redeye. That was my great idea a few years ago and worked great, until my 18 mo.-old daughter kicked over a glass of orange juice in her sleep onto both of us, and wouldn't stop crying until I picked her up and walked her. This is at 3am, of course, and she refused to let me sit back down so I had to keep carrying her for the sake of the rest of the passengers. There I am, leaned up against a wall, both of us drenched in OJ (and of course I didn't pack spare clothes in my carry on), when I feel yet more moisture suddenly down my shorts, only warm this time! Yes, her diaper failed. And waking her to change it would only lead to more screaming. Oh, did I mention we were flying home alone while my wife stayed back a few more days? Yeah, that was a fun three hours or so, wet, sticky, soiled, sleep-deprived and hoisting a fussy toddler. I still remember the pitiful looks I got from the flight attendants.

Ah, good times...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          See post #7.
                          That pediatrician can get into a boatload of trouble if his/her name is mentioned. Not a good thing to recommend as a doctor.

Comment

That pediatrician can get into a boatload of trouble if his/her name is mentioned. Not a good thing to recommend as a doctor.
                            Drugs are rx'd or suggested for off-label use all the time. Is the issue, for you, that we're discussing it as it relates to children? The pediatrician I referenced is not the only pediatrician who has recommended Benadryl for kids during a flight. I've personally heard others suggest it. Regardless, the OP should definitely contact her doctor rather than relying on the advice found on an internet forum!

Comment

CPS in Hawaii is total farce. I know from personal experience and a nasty divorce.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X