Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Puts Pot on the Ballot

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...juana/19413976

It's the right thing to do. Legalizing any drug takes away the criminal impetus. Once you legalize it, the profit motive drops drastically, because supply is no longer threatened. Prohibition did not work in the 20's, and it has not worked today.

Admin, if there is another thread where this belongs, then move it.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: California Puts Pot on the Ballot

I certainly support total legalization of weed, and some other drugs as well, but it will only lessen the major illegalities, not eliminate them as some say. Problems will always exist concerning drugs, but many people need/want to sensibly indulge so legalizing and coordinating, plus counseling/rehab is probably much the lesser of the evils.
    Industrial hemp is also a must for Hawaii. It's Haiti's way out of turmoil and into prosperity.

Neil Abercrombie, now!
    Goodbye loser Lingle.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I think if pot is legalized, the tobacco industry will feel it if not replaced by it. I guess that's a good thing.

I'm not concerned about the stoners that can handle their weed and manage their day to day routine...it's the ones that abuse it like alcohol and get behind the wheel incapacitated or worse yet work in public services in that state of mind.

It's bad enough when you have to deal with drunk employees, now you'd have to deal with drunk and stoned employees! Remember it's the ones that cannot handle moderation that I worry about if pot is legalized.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I think if pot is legalized, the tobacco industry will feel it if not replaced by it. I guess that's a good thing.

I'm not concerned about the stoners that can handle their weed and manage their day to day routine...it's the ones that abuse it like alcohol and get behind the wheel incapacitated or worse yet work in public services in that state of mind.

It's bad enough when you have to deal with drunk employees, now you'd have to deal with drunk and stoned employees! Remember it's the ones that cannot handle moderation that I worry about if pot is legalized.
        Craig - can you cite an instance when someone smoking pot has gone out & robbed a bank or committed some other crime? Most people who smoke pot just want to eat & sleep. Well, let's not forget they also want to have some "physical" activity, if you know what I mean and I'm speaking of those who ONLY smoke pot, not in combination with some other drug. I once had a friend who liked to smoke pot & drink tequila. When he got "drunk", it wasn't from the pot -- you can blame that on Jose Cuervo!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          Craig - can you cite an instance when someone smoking pot has gone out & robbed a bank or committed some other crime? Most people who smoke pot just want to eat & sleep. Well, let's not forget they also want to have some "physical" activity, if you know what I mean and I'm speaking of those who ONLY smoke pot, not in combination with some other drug. I once had a friend who liked to smoke pot & drink tequila. When he got "drunk", it wasn't from the pot -- you can blame that on Jose Cuervo!
          I'm not concerned about bank robbery or commission of crimes that bother me. I never mentioned anything like that.

But I've been a stoner in my life and I know beyond moderation pot can deter you from safe driving or make safe decisions. This my concern...as I stated in my post.

Comment

But I've been a stoner in my life and I know beyond moderation pot can deter you from safe driving or make safe decisions.
            Well, yes. But people do the same thing by abusing alcohol, and it's legal to use; in fact, the 20th century attempt to make it illegal was a dismal failure. Keeping marijuana criminalized while alcohol is not is simply a double-standard.

Comment

Most people high on pot either don't drive (they're probably asleep) or they tend to drive very slowly. As an admitted "former stoner" - how often did YOU go out and speed in your car? How often did you break the law (other than possession)? How many people do you know of who smoke(ed) pot and then went out & picked a fight? committed domestic violence? shot someone? What I'm trying to communicate here is that pot does not make one violent - it's just the opposite. Again, I'm speaking of pot by itself, not in combination with other drugs or intoxicants.

and again, these are rhetorical questions - they don't need an answer here. Just something to think about.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Apparently you aren't reading my posts correctly...please re-read them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Well, yes. But people do the same thing by abusing alcohol, and it's legal to use; in fact, the 20th century attempt to make it illegal was a dismal failure. Keeping marijuana criminalized while alcohol is not is simply a double-standard.
                  Nevermind alcohol we know there are abusers out there on that as well. I'm not against making pot illegal. What I am concerned about (getting back to my first post) was the abusers of pot will take this abuse to levels that will affect others.

I have (in my post) defended those who consume pot in moderation. They are not the evils of pot smoking, it's the abusers you guys gotta read my posts carefully. Here's my post: I'm not concerned about the stoners that can handle their weed and manage their day to day routine...it's the ones that abuse it like alcohol and get behind the wheel incapacitated or worse yet work in public services in that state of mind.

When I say Drunk and Stoned, I mean drunk employees working along side stoned employees. Not an employee that is both.

Comment

I get you, CW. So what do we do? It's obvious to you and I that there will be people who abuse anything, legal or illegal - booze, weed, guns.

It sounds as though you are concerned that legalization will increase the likelihood of pot abusers. It very well might, at that, certainly to begin with. Is tighter regulation the key? Revenues going into education programs, or stronger enforcement? I don't have the answers, of course.

I've just always felt it patently unfair to say "this product, that can mess you and others up if you don't use it responsibly, is okay for you to purchase anyway; just please be good" at the same time as saying "this other product, that can also mess you and others up if you don't use it responsibly, will land you in the courtroom, even if you are careful in how you use it."

Maybe that makes me libertarian in this instance, I don't know. I've just long been uncomfortable with the double-standard - even though personally, I very rarely indulge in one of those products anymore, and haven't indulged in the other for about a decade.

Comment

I believe you've already been facing the 'problem' your entire life. The day pot comes legal there won't be some sudden surge of craziness abounding everywhere, it'll be just like it is now. Are you scared now? Cell phones are way more of a safety concern.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      1) Craig - can you cite an instance when someone smoking pot has gone out & robbed a bank or committed some other crime?
                      2) Most people who smoke pot just want to eat & sleep.
                      1) Happens everyday. Some people get active when high on pot, it is a stimulant.
                      2) But I'm the smoke and...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        It's obvious to you and I ...
                        You and me.

Sorry. I don't know why that one still trips me up so often, even with awareness of the basic grammatical rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          I believe you've already been facing the 'problem' your entire life. The day pot comes legal there won't be some sudden surge of craziness abounding everywhere, it'll be just like it is now. Are you scared now? Cell phones are way more of a safety concern.
                          Ron pot has never been a problem in my entire life. And I've never said anything to suggest a sudden surge or craziness abounding everywhere. Where are you getting these delusional thoughts?

But it won't be like it is now and no I'm not scared now or ever. Where are you getting this from? Are you making all this up? Show me anywhere in my posts in this thread that says anything like that at all!

Comment

In 1968 I was a soldier in Vietnam.

Socially, after hours, we broke into two groups: heads and juicers.

The juicers drank beer, hard stuff, whatever. Often they would get into arguments, fights, etc., and thank heaven our weapons were locked up in basecamp when we weren't 'on duty,' because I remember several times when Butler and Mize and or a few of their other friends would be at the chains trying to unlock their weapons so they could kill each other, or would go after each other with bayonets or K-Bar knives or fists, and guess who had to break it up?

The heads, of course, cause even if we got stoned, the adrenaline rush would get us functional enough to keep them from killing each other.

And, potheads never got so stoned they'd want to kill each other. Pot has the opposite effect.
                            In my experience, anyway.

Smoke pot: eat, sleep and be paranoid.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I wonder if they'll decriminalize hashish too, it's a product of cannabis after all.

One good thing that would come out of the decriminalization would be the ability of struggling farms to switch over to hemp production for paper, rope and cloth manufacturing.

Comment

Working...
                              X