"The Best Thing I Ever Ate" - HT Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" - HT Edition

Lots of you who read the Kaukau Korner threads are surely "foodies" who watch The Food Network on a regular basis. I'll admit it, I am and I do.

As you know, TFN has a series going titled "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". Great show.

The most recent episode featured a segment where 'Unwrapped' host Marc Summers boasted that the "Best thing I (Marc) ever ate" was a "Creme Brulee with Fresh Lilikoi" from Mama's Fish House in Paia, Maui.

Which begs to ask to ask the question from you awesome HT folks out there: What is "The Best Thing You Ever Ate in Hawaii". I mean THE BEST. THE BEST OF THE BEST. SECOND TO NONE. It blew every other variation or competition of it away.

The "rule" of this thread is that it has to have been either served or made in Hawaii. It could be a made-in-Hawaii food product. A Hawaii-based restaurant dish. Your Grandma's dish. Your dad's dish. Your mom's dish. Your dish. Your dog or cat's dish. You name it. As long as it was made/raised/grown/produced and consumed right here in the 808 state.

Have fun!

I'll add mines later after I think about it.
    Last edited by Pomai; March 26, 2010, 10:26 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" - HT Edition

I was about to post something until I realized it's a food thread

Greatest thing...possibly the first time I had pork adobo at home.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      I was about to post something until I realized it's a food thread .
      Yeah, that was kinda' lame how I phrased that first sentence, gotta' admit. lol

Anyways, OK, I arlready have a reply! (like talking to myself)

ONE (just 1) of the BEST THINGS I EVER ATE in HAWAII (on Oahu, or more specifically on the North Shore) was the LOCO MOCO from COUNTRY KITCHEN in KAA'AWA (which used to be located next to 7-ELEVEN near the Post Office). This, after a long day of jet skiing and swimming.

That deep bowl of perfectly-steamed white rice. That flavor-packed yet simple char-grilled beef burger patty. That deep 'n rich brown gravy. Them two perfectly fried sunnyside-up, runny yolk eggs on top. The sauteed onions. The hunger. The ocean. The hunger. The ocean. The Loco Moco. The ocean. The.... Oh My God!

Sometimes it's not always food for what it is or how it tastes, but the ambiance and situation that make food become more than just that.

Almost RELIGIOUS. Only when it reaches a spiritual level can it become "The Best Thing I Ever Ate".
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Awesome thread idea!

So hard to choose the BEST BEST BEST thing I ever ate, but I guess I can "cheat" like the Food Network guys and put it into categories!

"Best example of how wonderful traditional sushi can be if the seafood is excellent" -- Ikura nigiri @ Mitch's

"Best Poke" -- Spider poke @ Tokkuri Tei

"Best Prime Rib" -- @ Volcano House

"Best Miso Soup" -- @ Hakkei

So many more that I can't think of right now! I need to take a break from these thoughts before I get too hungry at this late hour.
        Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
          "Best example of how wonderful traditional sushi can be if the seafood is excellent" -- Ikura nigiri @ Mitch's)
          I SO need to visit Mitch's. Like TOP PRIORITY!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The Okinawan Pig's Feet Soup, a.k.a. "Ashitibitchi" from Violet' Grill is also up there with "The Best Things I Ever Ate" in Hawaii...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I need to learn how to post pictures!

The best Tomato dish I ever ate was at Spago on Maui. My friend chef Cameron made me a whole tasting menu and one of the courses were all tomato. The best part of it was the tomato water. He takes a couple pounds of Maui tomatoes and mashes them up and hangs them from the ceiling in cheese
              cloth overnight and the water that drips down is the most highly concentrated beautiful essence of the tomato it is clear somewhat yellow and absolutely amazing! The whole trio of dishes were so beautifully plated.

OMG!!!!!! I figured out how to do it! Tomato water on right!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by leashlaws; March 27, 2010, 10:04 AM. Reason: add sentence

Comment

My mother used to make a pot of pork spareribs and dry shredded daikon, simmered in shoyu, water, sugar, salt and pepper. It was so onoliscious and I haven't seen anyone else make it. One of my older sisters makes a pretty good one. I had the very best Ossa Buco at the Swiss Inn way back when.

Comment

Custard Pie from Kane`ohe Bakery. NOTHING stands up to that yellow-y goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Custard Pie from Kane`ohe Bakery. NOTHING stands up to that yellow-y goodness.
                    Leo, that was my late grandmother's favorite Custard Pie as well. Don't forget next door to Kaneohe Bakery is Deluxe Pastry Shop, who are "famous" for their Apple and Coconut Turnovers!

Originally posted by D'Alani
                    My mother used to make a pot of pork spareribs and dry shredded daikon, simmered in shoyu, water, sugar, salt and pepper. It was so onoliscious and I haven't seen anyone else make it.
                    This sounds like an Okinawan dish. Anything with Pork, daikon, shoyu and sugar gotta' be! And I LOVE IT!

Another very recent "Best Thing I Ever Ate in Hawaii" is the Oxtail Soup from The Alley Restaurant at Aiea Bowl...

In my opinion, The Alley's Oxtail Soup easily beats out Kapiolani Coffee Shop, while I'm still not sure if it beats out my other "Best Thing I Ever Ate" Oxtail Soup at Pho Bistro 2...

Last edited by Pomai; March 27, 2010, 05:43 PM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      This sounds like an Okinawan dish. Anything with Pork, daikon, shoyu and sugar gotta' be! And I LOVE IT!

Another very recent "Best Thing I Ever Ate in Hawaii" is the Oxtail Soup from The Alley Restaurant at Aiea Bowl...
                      I love oxtail soup! And I used to hang out at Aiea Bowling Alley (haven't been there in a long time or tasted their oxtail soup). My best memory of oxtail soup is the one from the original Kapiolani Coffee Shop, where the Convention Center is now located.

Speaking of memories and things Okinawan, sometimes, the best you’ve ever eaten is simply a memory of a taste from your past, something that really can’t be duplicated today (for whatever reasons).

Two of my memories:

--My grandma’s shoyu pork (rafute). She made hers thin (about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide) and always with the rind, which for me was important. Lots of fat, a little bit of meat, but it was cooked so long the fat and meat simply melted in your mouth as you chewed on the rind. Heavenly! A little went a long way.

--My mom’s sparerib soup (sokibuni ni shimun). This sounds like it’s going to be really greasy and fatty and unhealthy, but it’s not. The preparation is very similar to pig’s feet soup, but the result is something that is surprisingly light and refreshing, very different from the hearty and savory pig’s feet soup (which I also like). With sparerib soup, the vegetables really stand out (carrots, daikon, Chinese mustard cabbage, shitake mushrooms, konbu, and the hint and aroma of ginger). The meat is almost an afterthought. Perhaps this is because my mom used country style ribs. Hers is the only sparerib soup I’ve ever tasted, so I can’t testify about the use of other styles of rib, or other recipes. But then again, as far as I know, Okinawan sparerib soup is not on the menu at any local restaurant or available at any other outlet. It is only available at home. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        Sounds kinda champuru-esque, don't it? Now, just add goya...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Sounds kinda champuru-esque, don't it? Now, just add goya...
                          Been there, done that!

Moving on to another genre, I hereby proclaim the "Best Steak I Ever Ate in Hawaii" was from BLT Steak in the new Trump Tower Waikiki...

The dry-aged prime beef was so INTENSELY flavored and tender, where as you see, I literally was able to cut through it with the BLUNT side of my fork. I could cut it with just my fork, kid you not!

And When it hit my mouth, it melted like BUTTAH. Beef buttah. Deep, deep "Beef Buttah". Oh. My. God.

While BLT Steak's sides didn't quite measure-up to the price of admission, their prime-grade, dry-aged 1800º broiled beef ribeye steak was by far one of the "Best Things I Ever Ate in Hawaii" recently.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I will have to contribute after I go get pictures, but the roast pig at noodle express in DC is in the top 5.
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Geez. Anyone can come up with some of the best things he or she has ever eaten; then it just becomes another "Let's talk about good food" thread. The challenge of coming up with THE best thing one has ever eaten is HUGE. I know we've been through this before, where I set up a question and draw a line and half the people are willing to stick to the line while everyone else wants to wimp out (yeah! I said it!) and say, "Well I can't come up with ONE so here are SOME of my favorite..."

C'mon! Use those critical thinking skills! Narrow your list down and really examine each item and decide, at least for today, what the BEST thing you ever ate is.

Sadly, I'm not sure exactly what my best thing was. Oh, I know the dish; I just don't remember what it was called. I had the omakase service at Sushi Sasabune a couple of years ago (best meal I ever had), and the first course was about six slices each of two kinds of sashimi in a lovely ponzu sauce. I had no idea sashimi could be that good. I guess I didn't know food could be that good. I wish I'd known that that was going to be the best of many really, really good courses, 'cause I might have asked to have it last. Almost everything I had after that was awesome, but nothing was as good as that first course.

Sad that I have such expensive taste. I've never been back, and I honestly don't see it happening again in the foreseeable future. I dropped $124 on just myself that night, something I simply can't afford to do. I couldn't afford it that night either, really, and suffered because of it. But holy moly, what a great plate of sashimi.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X