Oahu hikes -- Suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu hikes -- Suggestions!

Aloha! I'm looking for some local folks to share with me some of the "hidden" hikes around the island. I've been hiking pretty regularly for the past year and state maintained trails, while very awesome, are getting to be a little too...
    "normal" for me. I've done a few unofficial trails like Puu o Kona (Kuliouou West Ridge) and that was tons of fun.

Not looking for anything death defying. Just something off the beaten path that will take me to a worthwhile view or water feature. Hopefully some trails that are at least a 2 hour round trip!

If you know of a good "secret" trail please PM me if you don't want to share it in public
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Re: Oahu hikes -- Suggestions!

The Saint Louis trail ends at a HECO transmission tower. Go beyond that to the summit and it's a great view, but watch out there's a section of that trail that requires you to balance very carefully as you traverse a narrow pathway with valleys on either side.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Does anyone publish a detailed Oahu trail guide? Locations of trail heads, distances, times, dangers, parking suggestions, and so on? A website integrated with GPS coordinates and Google maps would be an unexpected bonus...
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

The best resource is probably the Hawaiian Trail And Mountain Club and their website is at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          Does anyone publish a detailed Oahu trail guide? Locations of trail heads, distances, times, dangers, parking suggestions, and so on? A website integrated with GPS coordinates and Google maps would be an unexpected bonus...
          All of that including the GPS coords are at... Geocaching Geocaching is a fun way to get outdoors and search out hidden treasure boxes! I grew up here and have discovered incredible places I never knew of because of this hobby. Here are my active hides... Menehune Man's Geocaches

Another resource is the book by Stuart M. Ball Jr. "The Hikers Guide to O'ahu"
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I want directions for the short hike by the Koolau Golf Course/church
            that is right off their parking lot. I keep hearing about it but can't figure
            out where it is!

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
              I've done a few unofficial trails like Puu o Kona (Kuliouou West Ridge) and that was tons of fun.
              Just wanted to share that there are geocaches all over... even up there. I've been. Triple Dog dare You

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                I want directions for the short hike by the Koolau Golf Course/church that is right off their parking lot. I keep hearing about it but can't figure out where it is!
                N 21° 22.360 W 157° 47.533
                The golf course has kindly allowed hikers to use their property for access.
                Proceed on the paved path and then go left on adjacent trail just before the water tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  N 21° 22.360 W 157° 47.533
                  The golf course has kindly allowed hikers to use their property for access.
                  Proceed on the paved path and then go left on adjacent trail just before the water tank.
                  Hey! Aloha & Thanks! Now I'll get a compass and follow your directions!
                  No doubt you've been on this before seems like everyone has but me!
                  Granted these old bones don't do much hiking anymore! Thanks!

Comment

My favorite hike is the Aiea Loop Trail. It also has an offshoot to the top of the Koolaus. Consult "Hawaiian Hiking Trails" Craig Chisolm p. 90, or "Hawaii's Best Hiking Trails" by Robert Smith p.237. 4 hours if you do the loop, all day if you continue to the Koolau ridge.

If on Kauai, do the Kalalau Trail and camp over in Kalalau Valley.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      The best resource is probably the Hawaiian Trail And Mountain Club and their website is at this link.
                      Doesn't the Sierra Club of Hawaii have any hiking trail information?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks, guys, spouse has recently showed a renewed interest in this for upcoming empty-nesterhood.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I really liked the Pillbox hike in Lanikai. Not a difficult hike, but you get a beautiful view down on Lanikai and two WWII bunkers to explore. You can keep following the trail after the pillboxes for a longer hike, or turn around after the second one and come back.

These are the directions I found online:

A good address to type into your GPS or iPhone would be:

440 Kaelepulu Dr
                          Kailua, HI 96734

When you get onto Kalelepulu Dr. heading south,
                          1.) First you will pass Mid-Pacific Country Club on your right
                          2.) Next, you will pass a yellow fire hydrant on your right
                          3.) Right after the fire hydrant will be some dirt next to a chain fence: PARK HERE
                          4.) Look south, you will see a little street followed by a chain fence
                          5.) Walk down the little street
                          6.) At the end of the street is a little sign that says Pillbox Hike

Hope that helps!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

There's a beautiful trail in the southern Waianae range, going up Palehua to Palikea. The Nature Conservancy used to manage it, but I believe it's been handed over to the state.

There are a couple of locked gates you have to go through to get to the trailhead. Last I heard, the state has closed the area to hikers, but promised they would reopen it sometime in the future. Does anyone know if it's happened yet?
                            Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

This morning's Star Bulletin:

http://www.starbulletin.com/features...ke_a_hike.html

Comment

Working...
                              X