iPad release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad release

Just wondering if anyone plans on getting the iPad when its released this weekend? Heard some folks are already camped out!

I gotta admit, I *DID* camp out for the iPhone when it first came out Not sure I'm that excited over the iPad though.
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Re: iPad release

I never buy version 1.0 of almost anything.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This thing could be a game-changer, the way the iPhone was a game-changer. That's reason enough to get a version 1.0, just to sorta be on that leading edge of the wave, to be among those who discover what this thing can really be used for.

As a classroom teacher, I can think of a million times when I've had to lug my laptop somewhere, when something like the iPad would have been so much more interesting. And I'd love to see what kinds of new, practical, and creative uses students would find for it.

Surely you've seen what I consider one of the most awkward presentation formats this past decade: three people gathered around a laptop at a table in a cafe, watching some kind of video or Powerpoint presentation. An iPad would be so much better for that. I've seen a local dessert chef show photos of some of his elaborate work on his iPhone, but to be honest I couldn't make out any of the details because the images were too small.

I just think there are a lot of exciting possibilities, some of which haven't been conceived yet. If I had the money, I would definitely be in line for this thing.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hopefully PZ will give a report tomorrow after he picks his up at Apple - Ala Moana.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Surely you've seen what I consider one of the most awkward presentation formats this past decade: three people gathered around a laptop at a table in a cafe, watching some kind of video or Powerpoint presentation. An iPad would be so much better for that.
          In what way is the iPad better? Is it just the fact that you can pass it around? Theoretically couldn't you do the same with a laptop? I love my iPhone, and I think the iPad looks pretty cool, but other than the cool factor I don't see a lot of pratical advantage over either the iPhone or a netbook, both of which I have.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

One of the things that turn me off to the iPad and other eBook readers is the proprietory format these devices use if you buy books or newspapers online. All of those things along with movies, TV shows and possibly even the apps, are encumbered with DRM.

That's why from the iTunes store the only thing I buy is DRM-free music. Don't do videos, apps or eBooks crippled with DRM. I am not a fan of DRM.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

the IPad is way more than an Ebook reader! It's more like a giant sized IPhone with a built in IPod.

I'm not planning on buying one because I just can't afford it. But I sure will look at it seriously if I'm ever in a good financial position to consider it.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                One of the things that turn me off to the iPad and other eBook readers is the proprietory format these devices use if you buy books or newspapers online. All of those things along with movies, TV shows and possibly even the apps, are encumbered with DRM.

That's why from the iTunes store the only thing I buy is DRM-free music. Don't do videos, apps or eBooks crippled with DRM. I am not a fan of DRM.
                you can thank the content creators/companies for that...

the iPad does support the DRM free ePub format as well

The iPad will be the ultimate Consumption device, while the laptop will still be the creation device.

I can think of tons of times when I rather just have a iPad to consume content, while on the couch, in bed, out at the coffee shop. I don't always need to have my laptop with me to do those things, and my iphone is great but it's more for a quick fix.

I can't wait to start buying my books and magazines subscriptions on it. i'm a magazine junkie so i can save some trees and not have to bulk around all those mags.

I can kick myself for not pre ordering one, but i'll be at the Apple Store in the morning to see if i can grab one. if not i'll wait a couple weeks. I'm proud to be a early adopter. I enjoy all my devices even if they are 1st gen ones. i'll have a full year to enjoy my new device before the new better one comes out, then i'll sell my old one and get a new one.
                website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I wasn't planning on getting an iPad. Looking thru the iPad's web page I was checking for a way for it to be able to communicate via a wired connection so it can hook up to the various controller projects that I am working on, but I didn't see anything to suggest that other than the interface for the digital cameras. For the time being I am using a netbook for that but the physical size of the iPad seems to suggest it might be a better unit to use for data transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Hopefully PZ will give a report tomorrow after he picks his up at Apple - Ala Moana.
                    PZ/Ryan is featured in this story that was on the top of the front page of today's Advertiser.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I see the huge application for the iPad in professional markets where carrying around the traditional laptop would be cumbersome. I for one think that professional photographers will slowly adopt the iPad, as it will serve as a great memory card "dump" unit that can double as an on-site shot preview/approval tool. Imagine being at a photoshoot, dumping your photos on the iPad in a few minutes, then getting your client to approve the photos right there on the spot.

There will be a lot of creative ways to make use of the iPad. I for one will probably wait for the consumer reviews on the generation 1. If they are great i"ll spring for one, if not then I'll wait for Gen 2.
                      Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

I'm typing this is my new iPad now

First thing I will say is the screen is AMAZING and everything on it is so fast. This is going to be super fun

Comment

After being told flatly that it would not be delivered on Saturday, UPS delivered it anyway. So far, it's mostly an iPod/iPhone with a big screen. COOL!
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            His Tweets yesterday:
                            "How does #LOST rule my life? My kids have played with the iPad all afternoon, while I prepped tonight's podcast."

"My kids and wife spent more time with the iPad than I did! But what I've seen, I liked a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              After being told flatly that it would not be delivered on Saturday, UPS delivered it anyway. So far, it's mostly an iPod/iPhone with a big screen. COOL!
                              although the iphone/touch can't run the type of apps the iPad can. it's all about the software. the great part about the hardware design is that it makes the hardware of the iPad get out of the way to admire the software

Comment

Working...
                              X