Kebabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kebabs

I was watching Rachael Ray's '30 Minute Meals' this morning where she was doing Kebabs, and she said that "Shish Kebabs" are specifically lamb kebabs, or "lamb on a stick".

Yet according to Wikipedia, the term "Shish Kebab" is of Turkish origin and refers to ANY meat, fruit or vegetable skewered on a stick.

Seems there's conflicting definitions of it and how it's interpreted in the American language.

I always thought "Shish Kebabs" were ANY type of food skewered on a stick and grilled. I never did just call them "Kebabs". I've always called them "Shish Kebabs", regardless of what's on the stick.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Kebabs

consider the source - Rachel Ray doesn't always know what she is talking about.

I usually call them "whatever" - kebabs, such as lamb, steak etc.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    ā€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      consider the source - Rachel Ray doesn't always know what she is talking about.
      Not the first time I've heard that. lol

Anyhow, one of the best meat skewers I've ever had were the Yakitori grilled chicken skewers in Japan's Ginza district at this place hidden in a dark alley called TORIGIN. They were amazing. Simply really good quality chicken put on skewers and dipped in teriyaki sauce, then grilled over hot coals and served with a bowl of hot rice, miso soup and tsukemono (Japanese pickled vegetables).

You could order the Yakitori, along with skewered boiled quail eggs that were also dipped in teriyaki sauce and grilled over the hibachi. Broke da' mout!

Then they had their steamed salmon on rice topped with japanese mayonnaise and kuro (black) goma seeds. Another broke da' mout' winnah!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

No doubt, everything tastes better on a stick.......

Comment

Rachel Ray is a douche bag, can we say that here? I just did. . .
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

I musta missed something these past couple of years. I always thought she was a babe.

Same here. Lamb/beef/chicken/shrimp kebabs. Personally, I find them humbug to cook. Once it starts to cook, nothing turns with the skewer after that, bamboo or metal. No matter how long one soaks bamboo skewers, they still burn. Takes too damn long sticking all the stuff on the stick. Just gimme all da stuff and I'll toss them on the grill already. Aah, just getting lazy and grouchy in my old age.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
              Personally, I find them humbug to cook.
              Iā€™m with you on this. The only time I every tried to do skewered dishes was at UH football tailgate parties. They never came out right. The wooden skewers always burned. I even went to metal skewers. They were OK, but seemed too much trouble for the actual result. That was for yakitori, but I think I even tried do a regular shish kebab once (Turkish-style, but with beef instead of lamb, plus various vegetables), but the timing of vegetables and meat confounded me. Skewered cooking is not easy.

As to whether shish kebabs is strictly lamb, I think food history has always been murky. No one ever writes about it (until very recently). Case in point: when someone thought to put a slice of Spam on a rectangular bed of rice, wrap it with a strip of nori, and call it Spam musubi, did anyone record this historic event? No. Instead, we try to recall its history retrospectively, hoping to come up with an reasonable explanation.

My guess about shish kebab: When the Turks first did shish kebabs, it was mostly lamb, mainly because that was the most common meat at that time. But later, it expanded to other types of meat. History is forgotten. All that matters is what's currently on your plate.

Comment

Working...
              X