aloha from CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aloha from CA.

just want to drop by and say hi, just got approved in HT, that took a while.

We (wife and 2 kids) will be coming to Oahu in late June, Yay! This is our first trip to Hawaii, though. Already ordered Oahu Revealed, will be asking questions as I go along.

Mahalo,

Re: aloha from CA.

welcome to HT!

how many days will you be planning here in the isles? and will it only be on Oahu?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

8 days from 6/21 to 6/28, staying at a budget hotel, the Castle Ocean Resort near Diamond Head. I think Oahu offers plenty of things to do even for 8 days so it'll be just one island this time. Some of the things I've in mind so far is:
      1. Waikiki (yeah, I know, tourist what can I say);
      2. snorkel in Shark's cove and/or other beaches on north shore;
      3. Hanauma Bay(although I've read mixed opinions about it, very few fishes, way too crowded, etc);
      4. kayak in Kailua Bay;
      5. maybe camp one night on the windward side(site undecided yet.);
      6. go on a dolphin snorkeling boat tour(they seem pricey, are they worth it)?
      7. go out to the sandbar in Kaneohe Bay(should I rent a small motor boat from Base Marina or just kayak out? just a note, I'll most likely be doing 90% of the paddling.)

Ah, and pretty much no shopping for us in Waikiki(can't remember the last time I set foot inside a L.A. mall.) Would like to try some local Hawaiin food and fresh seafood though. We're a single income family(wife is a stay-at-home-mom) so we need to plan/buget things accordingly.

Mahalo,

Comment

"Oahu Revealed" doesn't always tell you about dangers involved in some of the spots it recommends. Please check with experts before your snorkeling etc. tours. I don't know if you live close to the ocean or spend much time in it - but it can be very dangerous if you are unprepared or get bad advice.

Otherwise, I hope you and your family have a very enjoyable vacation!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          "Oahu Revealed" doesn't always tell you about dangers involved in some of the spots it recommends. Please check with experts before your snorkeling etc. tours.
          "Oahu Revealed" also has a history of recommending hiking trails through private property, where the owners are known to get violent about trespassers. Be very careful about that book. If you find something there that interests you, check with us here on HT. And welcome to the ohana!
          As for your other comments... Hanauma Bay is great, just go mid-day or early afternoon to avoid the worst crowds, and also try to go during or close to low tide, which will give you even better water clarity.
          And for the sandbar, definitely rent a pontoon boat from MCBH.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamingHI View Post

We (wife and 2 kids) will be coming to Oahu in late June, Yay! This is our first trip to Hawaii, though. Already ordered Oahu Revealed, will be asking questions as I go along.

Mahalo,
            There are all kinds of short walks/hikes to incredible places...
            Depends on ages of kids?

Down the Old Pali Road from the lookout
            The Hawaii Nature Center in Makiki
            The Makapuu Lighthouse
            Manoa Falls
            and more... have fun!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Ah, there you are, e komo mai!

If you're carrying a military ID then I'd recommend camping at Bellows AFS by Waimanalo. Not necessarily the best but very definitely the easiest. Campgrounds are kept relatively quiet and there are plenty of kid-friendly activities. You could also take it easy with a beach cabin.

LikaNui, Dreaming is hoping that you can dish the dope on the most family-friendly times to be at the sandbar. Or at least when to avoid the next "Aquadelica" clone...
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                LikaNui, Dreaming is hoping that you can dish the dope on the most family-friendly times to be at the sandbar. Or at least when to avoid the next "Aquadelica" clone.
                ROFLMOO!!!
                The party animal types are there on weekends and holidays, so DreamingHI should avoid those times for sure. Weekdays are best. And like Hanauma Bay it's best to go at or near low tide, when more of the sandbar is exposed. But in any event, be sure to know the tidal status so you can anchor properly. (If you anchor at high tide and you're too far in, you might be aground and stuck when it's time to leave.)
                But if they can only go on a weekend, it's still not a major issue. There are plenty of areas to anchor that are well away from the party animals and noise, though of course the animals gather in the best part of the sandbar. Stay away from the east end, as that's where the crowded tourist boats gather and there are also more coralheads to avoid. Instead, go north toward Chinaman's Hat, past the sandbar's high spot.
                And either on the way out or back in, don't forget to do a slow 360 around Coconut Island. The reefs are fantastic!
                Also, thanks to MM for remembering to ask the ages of the kids. That will influence the answers we give to DreamingHI.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  Ah, there you are, e komo mai!
                  heeeey, Nords what's up ! I was wondering if you'd be able to pick me out from my intro.

Thanks for referring me to HT, so much info here, guess I'll need a break from ER.org,

Comment

LikaNui - thanks for the great info.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    There are all kinds of short walks/hikes to incredible places...
                    Depends on ages of kids?
                    kids are 6 and 9. Is the Diamond Head crater hike kids doable? or do you recommend something easier?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    I don't know if you live close to the ocean or spend much time in it - but it can be very dangerous if you are unprepared or get bad advice.
                    anapuni808 - Thanks for the safety advice. We love being in the water(although I wouldn't consider ourselves strong swimmers), we live somewhat close to the beach (by mainland standard), about 15 min. to the nearest beach. This is our primary activities during the summer and fall months.

Maybe a bit more background info about me will help better facilitate getting answers to my questions in the future.

I'm actually NAUI certified (although still at beginner level) and I might do a shore dive depending on water condition. Even if I do, I probably won't go deeper than 30 ft and I'll certainly watch for currents.

I took an intro sailing course a couple years ago, I may very well forgot most things but I can certainly can use some refresher on right of way, etc, might come in handy when I go rent a boat from MCBH.

Another thing I consider doing is kayak out to Mokolii and do a hike there. Doable with kids? anything to watch out for? I've kayak plenty of times before, mostly in/around bays, a few times out to the ocean.

Mahalo,

Oh, and any fast rules on the Hawaiian pronunciations (or any resources on the web). I've a hard time just remembering my hotel's street name, let along saying it,

Comment

kids are 6 and 9. Is the Diamond Head crater hike kids doable? or do you recommend something easier?
                      I think it's no problem-- plenty of switchbacks and great views of the crater on the way up ("Look how high we are!") followed by stunning views from the top. They'll go a long way to crawl through a military bunker. After that it's downhill all the way.

They should carry their own water & sunscreen. A donation at the trail head helps us taxpayers maintain the place, but I think there are better souvenirs at the International Marketplace or the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet.

If that hike's a bust you could try Makapu'u Point. When our kid was in Brownies they hiked it several times.

I'm actually NAUI certified (although still at beginner level) and I might do a shore dive depending on water condition. Even if I do, I probably won't go deeper than 30 ft and I'll certainly watch for currents.
                      Not too many shore dives around here. Haleiwa Ali'i Beach Park has a nice canyon a few hundred yards offshore but it's a swim. Shark's Cove and Three Tables, but I'd stay out of the caves unless you have cave experience. Kahe Point is an OK dive but I don't know if it's a safe place to park a rental car.

The North Shore water will be pretty calm that time of year but there's still some shorebreaks and surge. For kids that age they'll definitely want reef socks or fins and possibly gloves-- "Hey, look, an urchin!"

Plenty of boat dives around Waikiki. But if you're really looking for the biggest bang from your travel bucks, as well as a chance to give your kids a taste of the diving life, then make it a three-day plan. On the first day take them to the Waikiki Aquarium so they can get used to looking at the local critters. On the second day, try Hanauma Bay (closed on Tuesdays) so that they can get a little closer to the critters in their natural environment. On the third day, splurge on an Atlantis submarine ride.

But I could be biased about that third day.

Oh, and any fast rules on the Hawaiian pronunciations (or any resources on the web). I've a hard time just remembering my hotel's street name, let along saying it,
                      I'm no expert, but here's a couple short & easy placeholder links until someone with actual knowledge & experience chips in:
                      http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Language
                      http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/alpha.htm
                      http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/tours/tidbits/tidbit-1.htm
                      http://www.alohavisitorguides.com/oa...iation-OV.html
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Thanks for all the great tips, they'll give me plenty of things to chew on for the next few days.

Comment

Hi there, dreamingHI--I'm always dreaming of it, too! My first trip alone was to Oahu in 07, then with my husband and grown son in 08 to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Can't want to go back!
                          Have you ever read "Hawaii for Dummies"? It's got some good info in there, and it's pretty honest about what's safe and what isn't. I wouldn't even begin to tell you that it's a comprehensive overview on all things Hawaii, but it is helpful. Even if it doesn't give you all the details on some things, it gives you enough of an idea on things to do--then when you get there, you can get more detailed information.
                          The Diamond Head hike is GREAT, and the kids should love it. You can go as fast or as slow as you like. If I can do it, anyone can do it! Hanauma Bay was, to me, a waste of time, but soooooo many other people really love it--so I would suggest you see it. Remember (as you were already advised here), it's closed on Tuesdays. Be sure to hit the Swap Meet--tons of fun on the cheap!
                          Have a wonderful, wonderful time, and take lots of photos!!! Aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                            Be sure to hit the Swap Meet--tons of fun on the cheap!
                            a good place to pick up souvenirs?

Comment

a good place to pick up souvenirs?
                              If you have in mind Hawaii themed T-Shirts for 6 @ $20, you will be in luck! Or cute keychains for 2 @ $1., or shell necklaces and bracelets, you will hit the jackpot.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X