Plastic heatsinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic heatsinks?

I saw this article in an online trade magazine. Intriguing as it allows heat transfer in one direction only using computer CPU's as an example of it's applications. Can you imagine using this concept for car radiators or clothing. Another thought is the possibility of reversing the coating by pulling ambient warmer air inwards to heat or keep warm things.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Plastic heatsinks?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I saw this article in an online trade magazine. Intriguing as it allows heat transfer in one direction only using computer CPU's as an example of it's applications.
    So many researchers are trying to cool chips and server farms that I wonder who's going to win the race: the teams trying to improve heat transfer or the teams designing chips that don't produce as much heat in the first place.

I think the first group will realize that they have to sell their products (and patents) to other industries with heat-transfer challenges, because the second group will render chip cooling largely irrelevant.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Re: Plastic heatsinks?

I guess it comes down to how fast these heat transfer products can wick heat away. I kinda like this breakthrough. It simplifies cooling. Simple means less to breakdown. You could use it as insulators if the plastic is turned around. Heat would be kept on one side and any ambient heat would only add to the heat already captive. Great for cookware.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
      X