KGMB Memorabilia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KGMB Memorabilia

Saw a PSA this evening announcing an auction of KGMB memorabilia to be conducted at the former KGMB site 1534 Kapi`olani Blvd on Saturday May 8.

Re: KGMB Memorabilia

I wonder if that fly is still taped to the sound proof tiles in the studio (I believe it's now a storage room) where Aku did his morning radio show. His studio was this small booth with a desk, chair, mic and telephone. One day someone trapped a fly with scotch tape and taped it to the wall to the left of the glass window. Then somebody wrote on the wall the Latin name of the fly.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If Checkers & Pogo's albatross is being sold, then I want first dibs on it!
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I want that big vacuum tube for their old transmitter. It was in a glass-sealed air-cooled chamber. It was the final output stage.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          If Checkers & Pogo's albatross is being sold, then I want first dibs on it!
          That was already spoken for some years ago.

Comment

Was there a time machine like the one in Hot Tub Time Machine that was based on a true story?

Comment

Anything left? What happened/happens to the leftovers? Was called away at the last minute, I'm sorry i missed out.
              Always check and double check

Comment

I think what was not sold will either be given away or thrown in the dumpster from conversations I had with them. I'd say 3/4 of what was up for auction were your standard office items, i.e. desks, chairs, file cabinets, typewriters, etc. Stuff left were camera lights, lots of Duke and Don Ho photos, some posterboards, promo signs, etc. A large Checkers & Pogo sign was not bid on, a surprise to many, but you would have to put it in your garage or make room in your house for it as it was huge. I'm sure you can contact the auction house to see what is left of the remaining items and what they will actually do with the remaining items.

Billy V, Manke, Nick Carter, Blangiardi and a few others were at the auction.

I went out of curiosity more than anything else and it gave many of us a final chance to walk thru that historic building as a good portion of it was open.

Comment

I noticed the abandoned vehicles with the KGMB logos are now gone for the parking lot. For quite a while, a van and 2 Honda mini SUVs were like just sitting there... since maybe October.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A giant piece of KGMB memorabilia is coming down, piece by piece. The iconic KGMB broadcast tower is being demolished.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ml?mobile=true

For years the tower stood out at night in the Honolulu skyline, emblazoned with the neon call letters "KGMB" and "AKU," for KGMB's popular disc jockey J. Akuhead Pupule, aka Hal Lewis.

"It's been such a landmark, and I'm sad to see it go," said Brock Whaley, radio personality and broadcast historian. "A lot of people think they're an eyesore, but I like towers."
                    I like the old red and white towers too.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Been taking some photos of the KGMB tower, some were taking during the morning, others during the late afternoon.

Comment

Passing by Saturday night I did notice that only a six to eight foot high section remains on top of the concrete blocks at the site.

Comment

What Was...

What Was by macprohawaii, on Flickr

What is...

Dismantling of the KGMB Tower by macprohawaii, on Flickr

Now mostly gone.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                          X