Another bus fare hike coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bus fare hike coming

That's the word from a bus driver anyway.
    And yet the company/City officials still refuse to mention the $10 monthly voucher discounts for those hurting, which will be many more with this increase.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Another bus fare hike coming

WOW & I Thought What I am paying on my end was baaaad. Here is currently $.25 less one way paying by cash but the monthly passes exceeds $50 asking price.

Comment

Ron - did the driver tell you how much the hike would be? usually something like that gets talked about way beforehand - haven't heard a thing from my own bus driver friends.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

How does Hawaii's bus fares compare to those around the nation? I know where I grew up, the fares depended on where you were. So if you were in Zone 3 you could pay $3 per trip (plus 50 cents for a transfer), or $100 a month for a pass. Ah, I just checked the website, it's gone up since I moved. Used to be $1 in Zone 1, now it's $1.75, and $70 for monthly passes.

In any case, I'm incredibly grateful for the UH bus pass included in my tuition.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

FYI San Jose's Valley Transit Authority has below prices for buses / light rail:

Single Ride (regular & limited stop buses, light rail)
          Adult: $2.00; Youth (5-17 years): $1.75; Sr/Disabled/Medicare: $1.00

Day Pass
          Adult: $6; Youth (5-17 years): $5; Sr/Disabled/Medicare: $2.50

Monthly Flash Pass and Sticker
          Adult Flash Pass - $70.00; Youth Flash Pass (ages 5 through 17) - $45.00; Sr/Disabled/Medicare Monthly Sticker - $25.00

Seniors are 65+.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            Ron - did the driver tell you how much the hike would be? usually something like that gets talked about way beforehand - haven't heard a thing from my own bus driver friends.
            No she didn't, and she may not have known anyway, or could have been talking out her da kine as the statement came from my questioning her about what she said to her friend as I boarded after loading my bike on "...pay for putting the bike on". She has a bit of a mean streak, so she may have felt we bikers should pay extra(?!). She said that wasn't happening but there was a fare increase coming.
            So who knows...

We pay enuf already. Austin has free service last I heard.

Comment

Ron, you started a thread using the premise that a bus fare hike was coming - with nothing to back it up. You made an "announcement" about a fare hike. If I recall correctly, this is not the first time you have done something like this. Wouldn't it have been better to ask the question "has anyone else heard of a fare hike?" and then go on to talk about what you heard from your bus driver? I'm sure I'm not the only other bus rider who got concerned about this coming up and started worrying about additional expenses.

I'm just sayin'....................
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

...jus listenin'

As tho anyone here would be in the know, AND willing to confirm?

I got a tip that I felt should be shared so those that it matters to can be prepared. If it doesn't pan out, we all win, ...until it does.
                And I did qualify my thread with the fact it was a rumor via a driver at the very start.
                If you had heard of even the possibility of it, I'd have appreciated your saying so, even tho I'm not affected by any hike at present.
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; April 28, 2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

The drums are getting louder, look for a fare increase soon. $2.50 per ride and $60 a month/pass.

Comment

That's still not bad...
                    About two bucks a day, for as many rides, to anywhere on island. using the pass.
                    Or five bucks for a single round trip.

Then considering how well (not perfect) the buses run here... priceless!

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      That's still not bad...
                      About two bucks a day, for as many rides, to anywhere on island. using the pass.
                      Or five bucks for a single round trip.
                      Pumping the fare box @ $2+ a pop will lead to empty pockets before noon if you have any standard type running around to do, I found that out the hard way once, real quick! Qualifying for a disabilities yearly pass has it's downsides, but the wallet is very thankful.

Comment

Okay Ron...
                        First: Don't forget asking for transfers. They are very useful.
                        Second: Do you believe it's cheaper in any other comparable city?
                        I know it wasn't in San Fran years ago when I was there. It was like $2 then!

It costs money to get around any way, unless you're willing to bicycle it.
                        My wife is purely a bus rider and I use them a lot while with Mom.

I just don't think the increase is really out of place.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Ron try pumping the gas at almost twice the cost of a bus ride per gallon add to that the cost of car insurance, registration, safety check, parking and annual maintenance pro-rated on a daily basis and suddenly $2+ per pop is a decent bargain. Even at $60 a month, that's still better than the cost to fill up a tank of gas even on a Prius!

But yeah I can understand the cost of bus fare. I still got a few HRT Bus tokens when a ride was only 10-cents.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                            Okay Ron...
                            First: Don't forget asking for transfers. They are very useful.
                            Second: Do you believe it's cheaper in any other comparable city?
                            I know it wasn't in San Fran years ago when I was there. It was like $2 then!
                            It costs money to get around any way, unless you're willing to bicycle it.
                            My wife is purely a bus rider and I use them a lot while with Mom.
                            I just don't think the increase is really out of place.
                            My never-again pay-as-you-go experience was certainly involving transfers.
                            I dunno, I don't live anywhere else, and no I'm not moving. But I do know Austin runs their comparatively sized city bus service for free.
                            I do bike/bus it, and am not saying an increase is out of line. But like anapuni, it's gonna crunch somebodys. And it would be 'nice' if The Bus/City would notify the riding public of the monthly $10 discount vouchers availability, which they said they would many years ago but still have not.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Ron try pumping the gas at almost twice the cost of a bus ride per gallon add to that the cost of car insurance, registration, safety check, parking and annual maintenance pro-rated on a daily basis and suddenly $2+ per pop is a decent bargain. Even at $60 a month, that's still better than the cost to fill up a tank of gas even on a Prius!
                            But yeah I can understand the cost of bus fare. I still got a few HRT Bus tokens when a ride was only 10-cents.
                            Of course it beats the insane costs situation dedicated car drivers face. I wouldn't own a car if given one, again. Those that ride The Bus don't do it for the love of it, it's needed, and those that are just scrimping by will be even more scrimpified with a $10 increase. They call it progress. Next stop, please!

Comment

yep riding the bus ain't no joy ride. I stopped saving the Earth after I got sick riding the bus to work when a monthly bus pass was $30.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X