Thread: Greatest Guitar Albums

Thumbs up Greatest Guitar Albums

...of all time!

I'll start with my ichiban, no ka oi, numbah one favorite, which would be none other than the album 'Land of the Midnight Sun' by the legendary Al Di Meola.

How can you ever question the studio line-up of Al rippin' guitar, while Stanley Clark, Anthony Jackson and Jaco Pastorius puts chunk in the funk on bass, Chick Corea adds melodic chimes on keys, while Steve Gadd and Lenny White kick it on drums. OMG!

Al Di Meola's 1976 debut of his solo career 'Land of the Midnight Sun' is EPIC and not to be missed!

Default Re: Greatest Guitar Albums

I'm still doin' the Surfer Stomp to the sounds of Dick Dale! Dick Dale and the Deltones at the Rendezvous Ballroom. Yah, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I'm still doin' the Surfer Stomp to the sounds of Dick Dale! Dick Dale and the Deltones at the Rendezvous Ballroom. Yah, baby!
    Great choice!

Hey, do you remember HT member 'Tikiyaki'? Well, he's got a great band going in California named none other than the "Tikiyaki Orchestra". I highly recommend checking out their site! Very "Dick Dale'ish" how Jim plays guitar on the tracks.

Tikiyaki Orchestra's music video "Mai Tai's on the Moon" Stereo Exotique is especially "entrancing" of the tiki culture genre.

I have Tikiyaki's 1st CD. He's back on HT and also on FB. Good to touch bases with him again. Love his music.

Thumbs up Re: Greatest Guitar Albums

(Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Pronou...-%27n%C3%A9rd)

Side one
    "I Ain't the One" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:53
    "Tuesday's Gone" (Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 7:32
    "Gimme Three Steps" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:30
    "Simple Man" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 5:57
    Side two
    "Things Goin' On" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 5:00
    "Mississippi Kid" (Al Kooper, Ronnie Van Zant, Bob Burns) – 3:56
    "Poison Whiskey" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:13
    "Free Bird" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 9:06

All those guitars... Ahhh, I'm in love. HaHa!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Thumbs up Re: Greatest Guitar Albums

How 'bout "Double Live Gonzo"? by Ted Nugent
    http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Nugen.../P5047/R14276/
    Track listing-
    1. "Just What The Doctor Ordered" – 5:26
    2. "Yank Me, Crank Me" – 4:29
    3. "Gonzo" – 4:00
    4. "Baby Please Don't Go" – 5:55
    5. "Great White Buffalo" – 6:21
    6. "Hibernation" – 16:55
    7. "Stormtroopin'" – 8:43
    8. "Stranglehold" – 11:11
    9. "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" – 6:19
    10. "Cat Scratch Fever" – 4:50
    11. "Motor City Madhouse" – 10:35

Great White Buffalo
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Menehune Man, I'm going to open a Malasada shop and name it "Lynyrd's Malasadaz". lol

My next nomination goes to Van Halen's debut album. I don't know any other guitar solo as memorable or "air guitared" as much as 'Eruption', not to mention every other memorable song, riff, tap and squeal on that album.

Van Halen I introduced the world to a new GUITAR GOD.

Eddie Cochran
    Chuck Berry
    Scotty Moore (Elvis)
    Link Wray
    Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West
    George Barnes
    Dick Dale

Not always easy to be found on, deffinitely not to be missed.

My next nomination for "Greatest Guitar Album of All Time" belongs to Joe Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien'.

Almost every song on this album is groundbreaking and technically outstanding.

Hear some of the best tracks from Joe Satriani's 'Surfing with the Aliens' "Guitar God Great" album on YouTube here:
    Crushing Day
    Echos
    Lords of Karma
    Circles

Charo's Flamenco and classical virtuosity chops is shown off quite well in her 1994 release 'Guitar Passion'.

Here's some great tracks courtesy of YouTube from Charo's 'Guitar Passion' album...

• Caliente (Hot)
    • "Sueρos De Espaρa (Dreams of Spain)"
    • Seduction
    • Clear Moon
    • Fantasy

Derek & The Dominoes: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy

Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Jeff Beck
    Rough and Ready
    Always been a favorite album of mine.

There was a long story in the Advertiser recently, about Beck's touring. Just made me frustrated that he won't be coming here. Wished they hadn't even printed it.
    Last edited by Fritz; May 2nd, 2010 at 09:30 PM.

pomai, nice thread; it'll give me a lot of joy tracking down these albums and then listening to them. obviously a lot to choose from but i thought i'd see you mention pink floyd by now... on the other hand, perhaps they'd rank higher if the category were different....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

I've always loved Slash's playing. Guns 'N Roses was just getting big when I starting grade school, and my older sister would listen to Appetite for Destruction all the time. Of course I wanted to cool just like she was, so I listened to it with her.

I played drums when I was younger, so I listen for drums more than guitar.

Can't think of anything creative this time

1. Iron Maiden, Powerslave. You could almost pick any Maiden album and be just as right, but I've always thought this was the band's best, most creative effort. The twin lead-guitar attack of Dave Murray and Steve Harris on tracks like "2 Minutes to Midnight" and (especially) "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" are some of the most interesting listening I've ever experienced.
    2. Rush, Signals. I suppose 2112 or Moving Pictures are the more obvious choices, but there's something mind-blowing about the way Alex Lifeson's guitars blend with Neil Peart's drumming and Geddy Lee's bass, keys, and vocals on this one. The solos are better on Moving Pictures, yet all things considered, Signals is the (slightly!) better album.
    3. Bruce Cockburn, Live. My favorite musician. I'd actually recommend his recent Speechless album to give someone a better idea of Cockburn's mastery of the instrument, but I always think compilation albums are cheating when making these lists. Live albums are sometimes cheating; however, since we're talking about the performances of guitarists, a live albums seems in keeping with the spirit of the category.
    4. Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction. Agree with surlygirly: Slash's bluesy Les Paul grooves on this album are a thing of beauty. In an era when bands of this sort were focused on hair, makeup, and melodic shredding, Slash reminded everyone that music is about soul. I'll admit that my tastes lean in the brainier direction (as evidenced by my choices above), and there is something to be said for technical playing, but Appetite for Destruction is more balls than brains, more sweat than sweet, and the result is a glorious, fantastic album.
    5. Metallica, Master of Puppets. It's like Powerslave on Red Bull.
    6. Yes, Fragile. Argh! I really want to go with The Yes Album, but this one's got "Roundabout," so it has to be Fragile. Steve Howe is my favorite guitarist of all time.
    7. It's illegal to make this list without the Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced?. One of the few overhyped things in this world that's actually better than its press.
    8. Blind Willie Johnson, The Complete Blind Willie Johnson. Johnson never actually put out an album, so compilations are all that exist. This is sort-of a must just because it's the source material for so many GREAT covers by so many great musicians, but the guitar-playing is just fierce. It makes me sad that I'll never get to see Blind Willie play the guitar; he must've been something.

More later. Gotta get to work.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Ooohh, I forgot about Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I guess I'd pick Californication because it's a little more mellow than Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik. I don't like Dave Navarro in John's place on One Hot Minute. But Flea just rocks the bass on Californication, and it's one of my favorites.

Can't think of anything creative this time

When I'm in the mood for the blues, Robert Cray's Strong Persuader is a perennial favorite of mine.

But of course, it's darn near impossible for me to pick just one album for guys like B.B. King, Carlos Santana, and George Benson. I don't care how old they are. Their entire body of recorded works stands up strong, as a whole. Pick any album of theirs, and you can't go wrong.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Great choice!

Hey, do you remember HT member 'Tikiyaki'? Well, he's got a great band going in California named none other than the "Tikiyaki Orchestra". I highly recommend checking out their site! Very "Dick Dale'ish" how Jim plays guitar on the tracks.

Tikiyaki Orchestra's music video "Mai Tai's on the Moon" Stereo Exotique is especially "entrancing" of the tiki culture genre.
    Hey, I'm here ! Thanx Pomai...kind words !

This is a subject I can go on and on with...but here are a few of my faves...in no particular order.

Frampton Comes Alive - Yes, people forget what an amazing guitar player this guy is, they just remember the talkbox...He's a master of phrasing and has great tone.

This Lizzy - Jailbreak - Twin guitar harmonies, man, awesome !

The Blue Hawaiians - "Sway" - The best surf guitar album ever, IMO...I loved this band so much, I recruited their steel guitar player for The Tikiyaki Orchestra !

Most 80's records don't hold up for me, but I will agree on Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" - good stuff.

UFO - Strangers in the Night (live) - Michael Schenker tearing it up.

that's all I can think of for now.

Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
    This Lizzy - Jailbreak - Twin guitar harmonies, man, awesome !
    Man, I am so feeling you on this one. I think "The Boys are Back in Town" is one of the twenty best rock and roll songs ever. Twin guitar harmonies? Is that what they're doing? I know I dig the sound -- it sounds like two guitars playing lines on one string each, a lot of time (like the main riff in "The Boys are Back in Town). I don't know enough about guitar playing to describe what it is I think I'm hearing, but it's so melodic and so pretty and sooooooo unforgettable. Does anyone hear Woody Woodpecker in that melody?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Does anyone hear Woody Woodpecker in that melody?
    Dah-dah-dalah-daaaaahh-dah, dah-dah-dalah-daaaaahh-dah ... I do now.

As for Al Di Meola, I'd also add the trio albums he did with John McLaughlin & Paco De Lucia, especially the live "Friday Night in San Francisco."

I'd be inclined to toss some Pat Metheny into the discussion, but I don't know which album to choose. His chordal structures, the emotion of his playing, and his innovative use of technology make his music a joy to hear. I'll put two PM albums into consideration:

"Secret Story," which was the album that instrumentally "told" the full circle tale of a romance in his life, from earliest bliss to its peaceful conclusion. A gorgeous album full of beautiful sound (and the first CD I gave to the AFK some 15 years ago).

"Orchestrion," his latest, in which he accompanies himself on a plethora of mechanically-controlled instruments (pianos, marimba, vibes, drums, bass, percussion, etc.), all triggered by his guitar. Not only is the music fantastic, but having just seen him perform live, I am more stunned by a musician's technological skill than I have been in ages. He played in a relatively small hall where we could see the setup clearly, he not only performed the pre-programmed material from the album but also an improvisation that showed how each instrument is configured and triggered, and he played non-stop for over three hours.

Thin Lizzy - I always liked Cowboy Song, but they kept changing guitarists, and I don't dig that, so I never really got into them. But www.wolfgangsvault.com has a great show by them from the Gorham/Robertson days, and it really rocks in that Lizzy kinda way. Tons of guitar-happy shows on da Vault. A new '70 Allman Bros. Fillmore show has just been added.

Blue Hawaiians - maybe not so much a 'guitar band', but certainly one of my very faves. Kudos to Jim for getting Gary 'SpongeBob' Brandin as one(!) of his steel players.
    Gary's side project w/his son Geof is awesome as well, very atmospheric, kinda space meets spaghetti - www.myspace.com/thevanduras anything Gary is involved with is worthy.

Per the op, I know nobody will say him so it's my duty and pleasure to announce terrible Ted Nugent's 2 early 70s LPs on Zappa's Diskreet label, Call Of The Wild and Tooth Fang And Claw, as indispensible for any true rock guitar nut. While somewhat different, more earthy, both equal anything he did the rest of the 70s on Epic during his awesome $ making hayday.

The 80s really sucked, but everything Stevie Ray Vaughn put out was top shelf. His 3 public shows here were superb. God, he's missed!
    ZZ Top's 70s stuff still gets it, and live they will always be a must see. We're waiting, Billy...

As I get older and not much interested in todays few guitar bands, and the 'jam bands' are worse, I always find myself reverting back to the tried and true vintage material, always interested in newly released live versions from back in the day when rock was real and the police & politicians were scared.
    These days the two most happening guitar based bands are Neil Young and Jim Thomas www.mermen.net Every show these two entities did on Oahu were killer. Both way overdue for a return.

Jimi Hendrix

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom