Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Guitar Albums

...of all time!

I'll start with my ichiban, no ka oi, numbah one favorite, which would be none other than the album 'Land of the Midnight Sun' by the legendary Al Di Meola.

How can you ever question the studio line-up of Al rippin' guitar, while Stanley Clark, Anthony Jackson and Jaco Pastorius puts chunk in the funk on bass, Chick Corea adds melodic chimes on keys, while Steve Gadd and Lenny White kick it on drums. OMG!

Al Di Meola's 1976 debut of his solo career 'Land of the Midnight Sun' is EPIC and not to be missed!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Greatest Guitar Albums

I'm still doin' the Surfer Stomp to the sounds of Dick Dale! Dick Dale and the Deltones at the Rendezvous Ballroom. Yah, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I'm still doin' the Surfer Stomp to the sounds of Dick Dale! Dick Dale and the Deltones at the Rendezvous Ballroom. Yah, baby!
      Great choice!

Hey, do you remember HT member 'Tikiyaki'? Well, he's got a great band going in California named none other than the "Tikiyaki Orchestra". I highly recommend checking out their site! Very "Dick Dale'ish" how Jim plays guitar on the tracks.

Tikiyaki Orchestra's music video "Mai Tai's on the Moon" Stereo Exotique is especially "entrancing" of the tiki culture genre.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have Tikiyaki's 1st CD. He's back on HT and also on FB. Good to touch bases with him again. Love his music.

Comment

(Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd)
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Pronou...-%27n%C3%A9rd)

Side one
          "I Ain't the One" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:53
          "Tuesday's Gone" (Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 7:32
          "Gimme Three Steps" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 4:30
          "Simple Man" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 5:57
          Side two
          "Things Goin' On" (Gary Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant) – 5:00
          "Mississippi Kid" (Al Kooper, Ronnie Van Zant, Bob Burns) – 3:56
          "Poison Whiskey" (Ed King, Ronnie Van Zant) – 3:13
          "Free Bird" (Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant) – 9:06

All those guitars... Ahhh, I'm in love. HaHa!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

How 'bout "Double Live Gonzo"? by Ted Nugent
            http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Nugen.../P5047/R14276/
            Track listing-
            1. "Just What The Doctor Ordered" – 5:26
            2. "Yank Me, Crank Me" – 4:29
            3. "Gonzo" – 4:00
            4. "Baby Please Don't Go" – 5:55
            5. "Great White Buffalo" – 6:21
            6. "Hibernation" – 16:55
            7. "Stormtroopin'" – 8:43
            8. "Stranglehold" – 11:11
            9. "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" – 6:19
            10. "Cat Scratch Fever" – 4:50
            11. "Motor City Madhouse" – 10:35

Great White Buffalo
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Menehune Man, I'm going to open a Malasada shop and name it "Lynyrd's Malasadaz". lol

My next nomination goes to Van Halen's debut album. I don't know any other guitar solo as memorable or "air guitared" as much as 'Eruption', not to mention every other memorable song, riff, tap and squeal on that album.

Van Halen I introduced the world to a new GUITAR GOD.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Eddie Cochran
                Chuck Berry
                Scotty Moore (Elvis)
                Link Wray
                Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West
                George Barnes
                Dick Dale

Not always easy to be found on, deffinitely not to be missed.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

My next nomination for "Greatest Guitar Album of All Time" belongs to Joe Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien'.

Almost every song on this album is groundbreaking and technically outstanding.

Hear some of the best tracks from Joe Satriani's 'Surfing with the Aliens' "Guitar God Great" album on YouTube here:
                  Crushing Day
                  Echos
                  Lords of Karma
                  Circles
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Charo's Flamenco and classical virtuosity chops is shown off quite well in her 1994 release 'Guitar Passion'.

Here's some great tracks courtesy of YouTube from Charo's 'Guitar Passion' album...

Caliente (Hot)
                    "Sueños De España (Dreams of Spain)"
                    Seduction
                    Clear Moon
                    Fantasy
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Derek & The Dominoes: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy

Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Jeff Beck
                        Rough and Ready
                        Always been a favorite album of mine.

There was a long story in the Advertiser recently, about Beck's touring. Just made me frustrated that he won't be coming here. Wished they hadn't even printed it.
                        Last edited by Fritz; May 2, 2010, 09:30 PM.
                        You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

pomai, nice thread; it'll give me a lot of joy tracking down these albums and then listening to them. obviously a lot to choose from but i thought i'd see you mention pink floyd by now... on the other hand, perhaps they'd rank higher if the category were different....
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I've always loved Slash's playing. Guns 'N Roses was just getting big when I starting grade school, and my older sister would listen to Appetite for Destruction all the time. Of course I wanted to cool just like she was, so I listened to it with her.

I played drums when I was younger, so I listen for drums more than guitar.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

1. Iron Maiden, Powerslave. You could almost pick any Maiden album and be just as right, but I've always thought this was the band's best, most creative effort. The twin lead-guitar attack of Dave Murray and Steve Harris on tracks like "2 Minutes to Midnight" and (especially) "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" are some of the most interesting listening I've ever experienced.
                              2. Rush, Signals. I suppose 2112 or Moving Pictures are the more obvious choices, but there's something mind-blowing about the way Alex Lifeson's guitars blend with Neil Peart's drumming and Geddy Lee's bass, keys, and vocals on this one. The solos are better on Moving Pictures, yet all things considered, Signals is the (slightly!) better album.
                              3. Bruce Cockburn, Live. My favorite musician. I'd actually recommend his recent Speechless album to give someone a better idea of Cockburn's mastery of the instrument, but I always think compilation albums are cheating when making these lists. Live albums are sometimes cheating; however, since we're talking about the performances of guitarists, a live albums seems in keeping with the spirit of the category.
                              4. Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction. Agree with surlygirly: Slash's bluesy Les Paul grooves on this album are a thing of beauty. In an era when bands of this sort were focused on hair, makeup, and melodic shredding, Slash reminded everyone that music is about soul. I'll admit that my tastes lean in the brainier direction (as evidenced by my choices above), and there is something to be said for technical playing, but Appetite for Destruction is more balls than brains, more sweat than sweet, and the result is a glorious, fantastic album.
                              5. Metallica, Master of Puppets. It's like Powerslave on Red Bull.
                              6. Yes, Fragile. Argh! I really want to go with The Yes Album, but this one's got "Roundabout," so it has to be Fragile. Steve Howe is my favorite guitarist of all time.
                              7. It's illegal to make this list without the Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced?. One of the few overhyped things in this world that's actually better than its press.
                              8. Blind Willie Johnson, The Complete Blind Willie Johnson. Johnson never actually put out an album, so compilations are all that exist. This is sort-of a must just because it's the source material for so many GREAT covers by so many great musicians, but the guitar-playing is just fierce. It makes me sad that I'll never get to see Blind Willie play the guitar; he must've been something.

More later. Gotta get to work.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X