Greatest Guitar Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest Guitar Albums

Ooohh, I forgot about Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I guess I'd pick Californication because it's a little more mellow than Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik. I don't like Dave Navarro in John's place on One Hot Minute. But Flea just rocks the bass on Californication, and it's one of my favorites.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

When I'm in the mood for the blues, Robert Cray's Strong Persuader is a perennial favorite of mine.

But of course, it's darn near impossible for me to pick just one album for guys like B.B. King, Carlos Santana, and George Benson. I don't care how old they are. Their entire body of recorded works stands up strong, as a whole. Pick any album of theirs, and you can't go wrong.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Great choice!

Hey, do you remember HT member 'Tikiyaki'? Well, he's got a great band going in California named none other than the "Tikiyaki Orchestra". I highly recommend checking out their site! Very "Dick Dale'ish" how Jim plays guitar on the tracks.

Tikiyaki Orchestra's music video "Mai Tai's on the Moon" Stereo Exotique is especially "entrancing" of the tiki culture genre.
        Hey, I'm here ! Thanx Pomai...kind words !

This is a subject I can go on and on with...but here are a few of my faves...in no particular order.

Frampton Comes Alive - Yes, people forget what an amazing guitar player this guy is, they just remember the talkbox...He's a master of phrasing and has great tone.

This Lizzy - Jailbreak - Twin guitar harmonies, man, awesome !

The Blue Hawaiians - "Sway" - The best surf guitar album ever, IMO...I loved this band so much, I recruited their steel guitar player for The Tikiyaki Orchestra !

Most 80's records don't hold up for me, but I will agree on Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" - good stuff.

UFO - Strangers in the Night (live) - Michael Schenker tearing it up.

that's all I can think of for now.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          This Lizzy - Jailbreak - Twin guitar harmonies, man, awesome !
          Man, I am so feeling you on this one. I think "The Boys are Back in Town" is one of the twenty best rock and roll songs ever. Twin guitar harmonies? Is that what they're doing? I know I dig the sound -- it sounds like two guitars playing lines on one string each, a lot of time (like the main riff in "The Boys are Back in Town). I don't know enough about guitar playing to describe what it is I think I'm hearing, but it's so melodic and so pretty and sooooooo unforgettable. Does anyone hear Woody Woodpecker in that melody?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Does anyone hear Woody Woodpecker in that melody?
            Dah-dah-dalah-daaaaahh-dah, dah-dah-dalah-daaaaahh-dah ... I do now.

As for Al Di Meola, I'd also add the trio albums he did with John McLaughlin & Paco De Lucia, especially the live "Friday Night in San Francisco."

I'd be inclined to toss some Pat Metheny into the discussion, but I don't know which album to choose. His chordal structures, the emotion of his playing, and his innovative use of technology make his music a joy to hear. I'll put two PM albums into consideration:

"Secret Story," which was the album that instrumentally "told" the full circle tale of a romance in his life, from earliest bliss to its peaceful conclusion. A gorgeous album full of beautiful sound (and the first CD I gave to the AFK some 15 years ago).

"Orchestrion," his latest, in which he accompanies himself on a plethora of mechanically-controlled instruments (pianos, marimba, vibes, drums, bass, percussion, etc.), all triggered by his guitar. Not only is the music fantastic, but having just seen him perform live, I am more stunned by a musician's technological skill than I have been in ages. He played in a relatively small hall where we could see the setup clearly, he not only performed the pre-programmed material from the album but also an improvisation that showed how each instrument is configured and triggered, and he played non-stop for over three hours.

Comment

Thin Lizzy - I always liked Cowboy Song, but they kept changing guitarists, and I don't dig that, so I never really got into them. But www.wolfgangsvault.com has a great show by them from the Gorham/Robertson days, and it really rocks in that Lizzy kinda way. Tons of guitar-happy shows on da Vault. A new '70 Allman Bros. Fillmore show has just been added.

Blue Hawaiians - maybe not so much a 'guitar band', but certainly one of my very faves. Kudos to Jim for getting Gary 'SpongeBob' Brandin as one(!) of his steel players.
              Gary's side project w/his son Geof is awesome as well, very atmospheric, kinda space meets spaghetti - www.myspace.com/thevanduras anything Gary is involved with is worthy.

Per the op, I know nobody will say him so it's my duty and pleasure to announce terrible Ted Nugent's 2 early 70s LPs on Zappa's Diskreet label, Call Of The Wild and Tooth Fang And Claw, as indispensible for any true rock guitar nut. While somewhat different, more earthy, both equal anything he did the rest of the 70s on Epic during his awesome $ making hayday.

The 80s really sucked, but everything Stevie Ray Vaughn put out was top shelf. His 3 public shows here were superb. God, he's missed!
              ZZ Top's 70s stuff still gets it, and live they will always be a must see. We're waiting, Billy...

As I get older and not much interested in todays few guitar bands, and the 'jam bands' are worse, I always find myself reverting back to the tried and true vintage material, always interested in newly released live versions from back in the day when rock was real and the police & politicians were scared.
              These days the two most happening guitar based bands are Neil Young and Jim Thomas www.mermen.net Every show these two entities did on Oahu were killer. Both way overdue for a return.

Jimi Hendrix
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom

Comment

Working...
                X