Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for a credit card from a local bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for a credit card from a local bank?

kind of similar to the mood of moving my money from too-big-to-fail banks to local banks, i'm looking to cancel my credit cards and get one from a local bank. maybe there's very little difference between what the local banks offer but i really don't know so if anyone here really likes a credit card from a local bank, would you mention the name and why you like it?

the thing that prompted me to do this is that i received my credit card statement yesterday and there's a finance charge of something like 25 bucks for something; doesn't make sense and i'll have to call someone on the phone and figure it out; very frustrating since i definitely paid my last bill way before the due date; i find it frustrating that i have to call and then hold and then finally try to straighten this out. i'd much rather drive to a local bank and talk face to face with a real person. sigh...

so if you have a recommendation, i'm listening.

thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: recommendation for a credit card from a local bank?

I don't have any suggestions for you, Shaveice, but a heads up...canceling your existing credit cards could ding your credit score.

Comment

thanks for the heads up but i'm happy to say that i'm not worried about my credit score; i mean, i don't want a really bad score but i've never been a heavy borrower and i avoid it like the plague.

the GREAT news is that i walked over to a local first hawaiian bank and guess what? when they issue a credit card, THEY are the ones who're actually issuing the card and credit; if there's a problem, you don't call a 1-800 number but can actually walk into a local branch and get straight answers from a living person! (that is, you're NOT dealing with a bank like bank of america or chase.)

i'm personally tired of calling a 1-800 number, going through the whole "listen carefully to the following options" game and then being put on hold and how they're experiencing an unusually a high volume of calls, etc.

i was surprised but very happy to hear that first hawaiian issues the card and they take care of it if there are any issues; moreover, they can issue a visa card or a master card.

yahoooooo!
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

When you call an 800 number and enter your account number often the computer knows about your history and limit and such (like Platinum, etc.)
        and based on that you might not have to go through a whole litany of press this press that, you get a person immediately.

Comment

Got me thinking that I should check out 1st Haw'n for a card too!
          They have never turned me down for loans when asked and I have great credit.
          My present card is 'Capital One'. A couple of months ago my interest rate went from 2.8% to 13.9% from no fault of my own, just the changes happening in the industry. Maybe 1st Haw'n would offer me something better? And talking to a teller in person... priceless.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            Got me thinking that I should check out 1st Haw'n for a card too!
            They have never turned me down for loans when asked and I have great credit.

My present card is 'Capital One'. A couple of months ago my interest rate went from 2.8% to 13.9% from no fault of my own, just the changes happening in the industry. Maybe 1st Haw'n would offer me something better? And talking to a teller in person... priceless.
            Oh man Capital One!? Yeah get away from them if you have great credit. Before FHB tacked on fees up the wazoo so I cancelled mine, do they still charge any fees like they did before? Bank of Hawaii back in the 80's used American Express for credit cards and I was a charter member of the Optima Card issued thru AE and was given a $30,000 line of credit with the APR at just a couple points above the Prime Lending rate. That was a dangerous card.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I have credit cards from FHB, both MC and VISA. They do charge an annual fee of $15 [for both cards], but for some reason, they don't seem to charge it every year (at least they haven't for me; or maybe my record keeping is totally skewered). I was charged $15 in 2009, but as far as I can tell, I wasn't charged in 2008 and 2007. Not sure what's going on here, but I'm not complaining.

Actually, I'm pretty happy with FHB credit card service. They've called me a couple of times in the past when there was an unusual charge, just to confirm that it was legit. It was, but I was very happy that they were looking out for me.

Comment

good points guys. the guy i spoke to today didn't mention the annual fee so i guess i'll learn more as i proceed.

i've missed payments on past statements because i put it off (my fault) and then i'd get mad at myself for missing the deadline and for paying the late fee; very frustrating. if i get a visa card from FHB, i think the chances of me missing a payment are much smaller cuz i'll be able to simply walk into any local branch and make the payment: easy, convenient, and no checks to write.

as i mentioned before, i'm not too concerned about the interest rate (tho it is very important) because i just want to use the credit card when it's necessary or convenient (small purchases) and i intend on paying the entire amount every month...

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  good points guys. the guy i spoke to today didn't mention the annual fee so i guess i'll learn more as i proceed.

i've missed payments on past statements because i put it off (my fault) and then i'd get mad at myself for missing the deadline and for paying the late fee; very frustrating. if i get a visa card from FHB, i think the chances of me missing a payment are much smaller cuz i'll be able to simply walk into any local branch and make the payment: easy, convenient, and no checks to write.

as i mentioned before, i'm not too concerned about the interest rate (tho it is very important) because i just want to use the credit card when it's necessary or convenient (small purchases) and i intend on paying the entire amount every month...

If you open up a checking account with FHB you can have it automatically taken out so you won't miss a payment.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Recommendation for a credit card from a local bank?

thanks for another good tip; arigatooooo ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      If you open up a checking account with FHB you can have it automatically taken out so you won't miss a payment.
                      Along the same lines...
                      Possibly you can arrange for automatic bill pay using your existing checking account.

Also, be aware that your credit score isn't just for lenders. Insurance companies can pull your score and adjust rates accordingly. Landlords also check the score. When Suzy Orman speaks, I listen!

Comment

with the card i'm about to cancel, i'm sure i could set up an automatic payment thing but i didn't want to cuz i wanna make sure all charges are right before releasing funds; with a local bank, i'm much less hesitant to do that cuz if there's a dispute, i can easily go to a local branch and straighten it out; but i do appreciate the point.

regarding other institutions that may use my credit score, i hadn't thought of that. i'm not planning on borrowing a big chunk of money or applying for anything anytime soon so i think i'm okay but again, thanks for the info.

i've never read any of suzi's books but i've seen bits and pieces on tv and she seems like a woman with a lot of good advice; a lot of good, basic, common sense stuff. one really fundamental rule that i'm amazed so many people don't follow is living within one's means but that's a whole separate thread!

Comment

I'm going to get a MasterCard from First Hawaiian Bank, so I picked up an application, filled it out, and just went into a branch to submit it. The clerk told me it would take two weeks to get an answer, but if I submit the application online I'd have an answer within minutes! Go figure.
                          (And yep, I'll do it online.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X