The 2010 Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2010 Elections

[quote=Kalalau;262738I bet a Rally To Save Social Security just might be the biggest ever. It would probably be a good idea to start organizing one as soon as possible.[/quote]

That issue deserves a totally separate thread. Matapule has some ideas and proposals to kick around.

Please start a thread on that K.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I just learned that 3 of the highest ( ! ) yes on prop 19, the legalize pot prop, were here in our own little community, suburban San Diego's Ocean Beach. Amazing considering Berkeley, the Haight, Oakland, Humboldt, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        I just learned that 3 of the highest ( ! ) yes on prop 19, the legalize pot prop, were here in our own little community, suburban San Diego's Ocean Beach. Amazing considering Berkeley, the Haight, Oakland, Humboldt, etc.
        Berkeley is a former shadow of itself. It has gone mainstream right down to a football program that wants to be a national contender. Heck, when I was a student there, if the football program won more than two games a year, we thought there was too much money being spent on the program.

Berkeley is no longer on the cutting edge of "liberal" issues. Students at Berkeley today are more concerned with getting a job in corporate America than protesting the "war" in the MIddle East. Shoots, Naked Guy isn't even roaming the campus anymore.

It is sad to see a student body that no longer appears to care about asking the larger, social questions. I visit there as often as I can, but matapule "can never go home again." Well, thanks Berkeley for the memories.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          For the record, I am not a fan of either party so I'm not trying to endorse one over the other.
          Bravo, joshuatree! I couldn’t agree with you more. Hopefully, the Tea Party breaks off from the GOP and aligns with the Libertarians. We’re overdue for a third party. If this isn’t a wake-up call for Washington politicians, I don’t know what is. If anything, we’ll see if Republicans start paying Ron Paul more than just lip service now. I’m optimistic, though.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

So Ronald Reagan's imposition of fees at UC was not merely financial, maybe it was also social, to impose a bit of a classist selection, the moneyed interests can afford a public university, the rabble cannot. No need to educate the masses beyond their needs. Now those fees for both UC and the state colleges & universities have become a serious barrier against people of lesser means. All of us get to pay the taxes that support the system but only the elite get to use it. Elitism, the core of Republican thinking such as it is.

When I went to U of Oregon the football program was the definition of a flop, only a few thousand would show up for a game, the outcome was always the same, yet another humiliating defeat. The pep band had disbanded, during halftime an acid rock band, Oroborous, entertained. This was Kesey Land, after all. Once a friend and I were walking by the practice field, watching the team work out. The coach eagerly came up to us and asked if we were spies for UCLA, the next week's opponent. He was so eager to believe UCLA cared. They didn't. A friend from LA had a friend on the UCLA team, the Friday night before the game he, his friend, and I went out drinkin (Max's) and although I had a large capacity, he drank both of us far under the table. Next day at the game, televised, a UCLA player is teeing up the ball for the kick off then puked all over the ball. I have always wondered how the announcers handled that. Evidently the whole team had enjoyed a night on the town. Still, even in such condition, they whipped Oregon's lemu.
            Last edited by Kalalau; November 14, 2010, 03:31 AM. Reason: interesting sidelight

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              If anything, we’ll see if Republicans start paying Ron Paul more than just lip service now. I’m optimistic, though.
              Exactly! Ron Paul just flip flopped on the issue of eamarks! I'm sure the Baggers will be thrilled with him.........no earmarks for anyone........except my State. He is going to fit in very well with the Rethugs.

Comment

joshuatree - For the record, I am not a fan of either party so I'm not trying to endorse one over the other.

But supporting the obvious lesser of two evils is a prudent decision, I'd think (not endorsing my pref...).

1) We’re overdue for a third party.
                2) If this isn’t a wake-up call for Washington politicians, I don’t know what is.
                3) If anything, we’ll see if Republicans start paying Ron Paul more than just lip service now.
                4) I’m optimistic, though.
                1) Since when do we need more than one that's worth a flyin' !!!!?
                2) The Dems will never fully wake up from their malaise to do what's needed, especially when there are SO many absurdist swing voters. It'll always be an uphill battle against evil that they will blow time after time into infinity.
                The repugthugs have long decided their doomed course and will take us all with them as we watch the last of the good days disappear with the boomer generation. Thanx haters.
                3) We know what kind of lip service they'll allow him... nothing more, he's far too moderate, not a follower.
                4) ...pass it over to me
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

From one of my favorite online cartoonists:

Comment

Bravo, joshuatree! I couldn’t agree with you more. Hopefully, the Tea Party breaks off from the GOP and aligns with the Libertarians. We’re overdue for a third party.
                    GODS yes!!!!

We have been scammed with "Heads or tails; pick heads or the other heads," for too long now. Vote black, vote white, get red and blue. We need some choices that allow us to vote gray.

It's NOT just one way or the other; there are infinite choices, and we need to acknowledge them!
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      We need some choices that allow us to vote gray.
                      Yes, what we need is another party that will promote their own self-interests.

It's NOT just one way or the other; there are infinite choices, and we need to acknowledge them!
                      I like the Green Party.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Yes, what we need is another party that will promote their own self-interests.
                        I'd settle for one that listens to OUR self-interests!

We are being scammed to support the 2-party system by being told that 3rd party votes are "wasted votes."

Since we are not getting what we want from our elected leaders anyway, I'd say maybe all our votes are wasted.
                        ~ ~

Comment

I'd settle for one that listens to OUR self-interests!
                          I'd like one that isn't about self-interests, but is more concerned about the general welfare of ALL the American populace, as well as our new place in today's world. (If that isn't a crazy wish, I dunno what is...)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I'd like one that isn't about self-interests, but is more concerned about the general welfare of ALL the American populace, as well as our new place in today's world. (If that isn't a crazy wish, I dunno what is...)
                            Meteor shower coming Jan 3-4, 2011....

Get your wish ready and "watch the skies...."
                            ~ ~

Comment

Meteor shower coming Jan 3-4, 2011....
                              Get your wish ready and "watch the skies...."
                              Not a bad idea, my friend, not a bad one at all. But will it protect us from the coming apocalypse of 2012?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                I'd like one that isn't about the general welfare of ALL the American populace, but is more concerned about the welfare of ALL the species in the World, one specie, one vote. (If that isn't a crazy wish, I dunno what is...) [the error is the joke]
                                Last edited by salmoned; December 28, 2010, 11:33 PM.
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X