No Parking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Parking?

Some "joker" placed this notice under the windshield wiper of my car parked in front of my home. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO PARK OVERNIGHT ON A CUL DE SAC. YOU CAN VERIFY THIS WITH THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE MILILANI TOWN ASSOCIATION. Huh?

I've been living there for 21 years and have never been ticketed for this "offense." Besides, our street is a "legal" city street, unlike a previous cul-de-sac I lived on which was narrower than a regular street and was classified as a "private road." That road did not allow for parking other than in four marked "guest stalls." I can understand parking not being allowed in the circular turn-around area at the end of the street, but my home is located at the beginning of the street.

No other cars were so "cited," including three parked in the turn-around circle. Nor was another car of mine parked further up the street closer to the turn-around. I'd like to catch this "busy-body" in the act. KEEP YOUR DAMNED HANDS OFF MY CAR!

Re: No Parking?

Park there again and leave a note under the wiper for the busy body citing the appropriate c&c parking code. Maybe mention that by touching your car, you now have his/her fingerprints!

Comment

Why don't you go on right ahead and get a clarification from HPD? Then share it with your neighbors to settle the matter once and for all.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 11, 2010, 11:56 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Mililani is weird. I live there, and it's not quite the freedom loving democracy most older neighborhoods are. Association rules and a lot of retired residents with too much time on their hands have made for all kinds of weird pockets of shenanigans, from where you can park to just how well you have to hide your garbage bins from view.

Comment

Yo, OP - if you just needed to rant with us, that's cool. But if you're good with advice, FM's is pretty wise.

Comment

On a similar note, and one that seems more humorous, there was a car parked across the street from my house for a couple days. I'm guessing it wasn't that neighbor's car. When I went out to check the mail, there was a goldenrod notice on it's windshield wiper. It said,

"Please remove your car immediately. Any car parked here for greater than 24 hours will be presumed as abandoned, and will be towed away."

The car was there for another 2 days (fading piece of paper and all), before it finally moved. Then a couple days later, it parked there again. So... yeah, a neighbor is parking their car on a public street and probably took a vacation.

(Parked greater than 24 hours? I better watch where people park on the weekends.)

Comment

I finally got around to checking the regulations about parking in cul-de-sacs. There are rules in Mililani about parking in cul-de-sacs which do not have sidewalks. These streets are "private roads" and no parking is permitted by Mililani Town Association rules. However, since they are private roads, HPD will not ticket "violaters." MTA could have the cars towed away. I once lived in an increment with such private roads. There were several guest stalls set aside in the cul-de-sac which were allowed by MTA, but theoretically not for overnight parking.

There is no HPD ban on any parking on my cul-de-sac, which is a legal public street. Because the turning circle is wide enough and has sidewalks, parking is permitted anywhere on the street, subject to the distance requirements pertaining to fire hydrants (10') and private driveways (4'). Violators can be cited by HPD.

The rule about prolonged parking being considered as "abandonment" is technically true, but I haven't seen one vehicle cited in the 21 years I've lived here. In fact, I haven't seen a single vehicle even remotely resembling an "abandoned vehicle parked on our street.

I doubt if any of my neighbors "ticketed" me. But, that "busy-body" hasn't shown up since.

Comment

We here have a designation against parking in the "common area" overnight which I don't understand and so many people violate. They are not supposed to park on the street itself in the cul de sacs and cite emergency vehicle access egress as the reason. I agree though that too many in the HOA and on their boards have way too much time on their hands often.

Comment

I think the cars that are getting the "24 hour" warnings on my street are the ones that look like junky beater cars that should in no way be eligible for Safety Stickers (but are still driven). I've seen brand new BMWs sit in the same spot for 3 straight days, but the 1980s Ford Taurus with no hubcaps and chipping paint got slapped with a notice within a day. Maybe my community wants it to look nice on the streets as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                    I think the cars that are getting the "24 hour" warnings on my street are the ones that look like junky beater cars that should in no way be eligible for Safety Stickers (but are still driven). I've seen brand new BMWs sit in the same spot for 3 straight days, but the 1980s Ford Taurus with no hubcaps and chipping paint got slapped with a notice within a day. Maybe my community wants it to look nice on the streets as well.
                    Do you have residential stickers on your cars to designate that the cars are registered to owners? We do and actually it's quite attractive & subtle!

Comment

There's no parking permit stickers for where I'm at. There's enough garage parking, driveway parking and street parking to accommodate about 4-6 cars per house. (Accept four houses that share a common driveway in the corner.) My community is VERY big on aesthetics though. Graffiti is gone in about 2 days (depending on when they discover or report it). So I'm thinking it might have to do with what the cars look like.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                        There's no parking permit stickers for where I'm at. There's enough garage parking, driveway parking and street parking to accommodate about 4-6 cars per house. (Accept four houses that share a common driveway in the corner.) My community is VERY big on aesthetics though. Graffiti is gone in about 2 days (depending on when they discover or report it). So I'm thinking it might have to do with what the cars look like.
                        An example of "VEHICLE PROFILING?"

Comment

Working...
                        X