Books for immigrants to Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for immigrants to Hawaii?

Can anyone recommend any good reading to prepare for relocating to the islands? "So You Wanna Live in Hawaii" -type material?

Cheers,
    -Brian*

Re: Books for immigrants to Hawaii?

Originally posted by buraian-kun View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good reading to prepare for relocating to the islands? "So You Wanna Live in Hawaii" -type material?

Cheers,
    -Brian*
    Aloha Brian, No need books. You've come to the right place. Do a search on the archives.

-1stwahine-
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Oh, yeah, the forum is great (although it seems fairly quiet around here these days). But I still love the old printed page.

Cheers,
      -Brian*

Comment

if we knew the kind of information you want - then maybe we could be more helpful.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I remember reading a book like that once, although I don't remember what it was called. Try a search on Amazon, there's a few there with reviews. The things is, after a while all the books pretty much say the same thing, and while they're fun to read as you're looking forward to the move, personally I learned more from this forum than I did from any books. Wade through the archives, not just the threads about people coming to Hawaii but also the random conversations between locals. And not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've written a bit about what it's like to move to Hawaii from the mainland on my blog: http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            if we knew the kind of information you want - then maybe we could be more helpful.
            Oh, I'll be asking plenty of questions! But we don't always know what we need to ask. That's why I often find that it helps to start with a good, well-organized reference book on any subject and use that as a springboard for further research. When I used to travel a lot, Lonely Planet guides were my best friends!

Cheers,
            -Brian*

Comment

Removed by poster.
              Last edited by 1stwahine; May 17, 2010, 08:41 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
              X