Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Ronnie James Dio

Metal legend Ronnie James Dio dead at 67

Dio revealed last summer that he was suffering from stomach cancer shortly after wrapping up a tour in Atlantic City, N.J. with the latest incarnation of Black Sabbath, under the name Heaven And Hell.
    I didn't realize where currently at age 61, Ozzy Osbourne is much younger than Dio. Considering the lifestyle he's lead, I think Ozzy has 9 lives.

Heaven and Hell is one of my favorite Black Sabbath albums. Next to that would be Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: RIP Ronnie James Dio

wow; didn't see it coming; thanks for the info...

* funny clip: DIO feat. Tenacious D - Push
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7nWwyC3AJI

* another funny one: Tenacious D - Dio Live
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RqZX...eature=related

* funny but NSFW; from Pick of Destiny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmU7F...eature=related
    Last edited by shaveice; May 17, 2010, 12:29 AM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

This really sucks. He had a lot more to give us.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        I didn't realize where currently at age 61, Ozzy Osbourne is much younger than Dio. Considering the lifestyle he's lead, I think Ozzy has 9 lives.
        "Much younger?" I wouldn't say that. There's only about a 6 year age difference between the two.

One thing was for sure. The transition from Ozzy to Ronnie was definitely a change in musical direction for the entire band, which was in sharp contrast to other established acts (i.e. Van Halen, Journey) who merely looked for vocal clones to replaced departed lead singers. Even now, there's still seperate camps favoring either Ozzy or Ronnie within Black Sabbath's fandom.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          "Much younger?" I wouldn't say that. There's only about a 6 year age difference between the two.

One thing was for sure. The transition from Ozzy to Ronnie was definitely a change in musical direction for the entire band, which was in sharp contrast to other established acts (i.e. Van Halen, Journey) who merely looked for vocal clones to replaced departed lead singers. Even now, there's still seperate camps favoring either Ozzy or Ronnie within Black Sabbath's fandom.
          Yeah, I didn't mean "much", but just the fact that Ozzy is younger (I thought he was older), yet more importantly, considering how he lived, that he's still alive! God Bless him though, as Ozzy is by far my favorite singer of the metal genre, and is still giving back to his fans with a new album called 'Scream' being released on June 22nd. I hope it's good, as he has a new guitarist named Gus G. replacing Zakk Wylde.

As for Van Halen, Sammy Hagar was far from being a vocal clone replacement of DLR, that's for sure! I'm totally in the DLR camp, and was one who always resented their breakup. Glad he's back! As soon as Wolfgang graduates high school and Eddie gets married, I hope they make a new album!

When the replacement vocalist has a whole different sound, it's not always pleasing listening to them sing songs that their predecessor made famous. Sammy's rendition of just about everything DLR did is often unbearable, IMO. I'll have to check YouTube for "covers" Dio did of Black Sabbath's Ozzy era songs.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Dio was one of the greatest metal vocalists, hands down, and as much as I like his work with Sabbath, Rainbow was my favorite band with Ronnie.

Also, as much as Sabbath really belonged to Ozzy, I supported Sabbath when Dio joined. There were naysayers, but Ronnie's work with Sabbath could not be denied....heaven and Hell was amazing, groundbreaking metal.

R.I.P. RJD.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              As for Van Halen, Sammy Hagar was far from being a vocal clone replacement of DLR, that's for sure!
              Seeing as you are a hard-core DLR loyalist, I'm not surprised by your opinion. I know many Steve Perry devotees who have similar feelings about their hero, and how no one (neither Steve Augeri nor Arnel Pineda) comes close to emulating SP. Far be it from me to dissuade anyone who thinks that.

But my opinion remains as well, which is that VH (from DLR to S. Hagar) and Journey (Perry to Pineda) transitioned to new singers who possessed the essential vocal qualities that didn't force the rest of the band to re-invent themselves. Whatever modifications and changes those bands went through can't even begin to compare to the overhaul that groups like Black Sabbath (Ozzy to Dio) and the Doobie Brothers (Tom Johnston to Michael McDonald) had to undergo when their frontman changed.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

interesting discussion guys; you might find this old article of some interest....

http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/09/12/10...r-lead-singer/

and don't forget to read the user comments below the article.... lots of examples.... \m/ \m/
                Last edited by shaveice; May 17, 2010, 09:35 PM.
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Dio, the greatest metal voice ever. IMO

RIP

Comment

Working...
                  X