X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threats to pets?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Craig,
    Did you want me to stop changing the subject?? I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I think the point I was trying to get as was:

If there was no danger from braking, swerving, endangering people, would you still hit the dog? I understand your reasonable conditioning in your described situation, but your closing line was always "Hit the Dog."

Would you avoid hitting the dog if it's safe? Or mare you so conditioned you hit them no matter what?

Nothing personal, but that would explain some of the behaviour I've seen and experienced on O`ahu.

Naturally, we're not talking about animals that run under your tires unexpectedly - we're talking about animals that can be safely avoided. And since you are in the industry - driving BIG trucks - what kind of feedback do you get from co-workers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

K + pets
    If there's a chance not to hit anything on the road, that's always the best measure. One thing about safe driving is being an attentive one. However animals (and humans) do dart in front of vehicles once in a while. I just had an encounter with a Pheasant yesterday when driving over on the Saddle Road. One was flying across the street into the sun when it flew right in front of my minivan packed full of kids. I saw it coming but because the speed was 45-mph and it flew from my left to my right, I couldn't have avoided it in that split second. I could have swerved or slammed on the brakes, but I realized in doing so it would have sent my van out of control and all of us in the van careening off the roadway and into some ironwood tree...so I hit the bird.

A safe, attentive driver will spot things like animals on the road or even animals on the side of the road. When we do, we will slow down in the event we must brake to avoid hitting that animal that didn't move out of the way or got in the way as our vehicles approach. Even if the animal cannot be seen because of trash cans, parked vehicles, or even road conditions such as blind hills or sunlight in your eyes, you as an attentive driver will slow down to a safe speed to allow for speed adjustments if necessary.

In my case this Pheasant came flying out of brush, cut almost 10-feet back from the roadway at a speed that was very fast. Even if I was stopped in the road, because the sun was in the bird's eyes it would have hit the side of my van anyway. That was an unavoidable situation.

As for feedback, most of us are required to ride with the truckers to get the feel of what they do. Trucks can't stop as quickly as cars so when a car cuts off a fully loaded tanker full of LPG, there's a good chance that tanker won't stop in time to avoid rear-ending the vehicle that cut it off. I've heard of tankers rolling their trucks and cargo to avoid hitting the rear of a van packed full of kids. I've visited truckers in hospitals who did that to avoid killing innocent people and instead almost killing themselves because of ignorant drivers cutting off trucks.

Drive safe and drive smart. Stop if you can but if it was between killing a dog bent on getting in the wrong place at the wrong time or getting killed yourself or innocent bystanders...like I said...kill the dog.

If it was a human being, then the Book of John 15:13 applies and that is: Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends or his fellow man.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      Um, I dont agree with that, buuuut to get back on topic, yes, cars are certainly the number one, numero uno, ichiban, way that pets are endangered.
      I have six boys and one dog. The humans get preferred treatment over the dog. But if I see you barrelling down the road and couldn't stop in time and I could only save myself, I'll leave my dog since I know you'll save him by killing yourself instead of my dog.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There was a scene in Family Guy where Brian the Dog was feeling guilty that he drove over and killed a dog. The human cartoon characters just laughed at him because killing a dog isn't a a criminal act as killing a human.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          If there's a chance not to hit anything on the road, that's always the best measure.
          (...)
          A safe, attentive driver will spot things like animals on the road or even animals on the side of the road. When we do, we will slow down in the event we must brake to avoid hitting that animal that didn't move out of the way or got in the way as our vehicles approach. Even if the animal cannot be seen because of trash cans, parked vehicles, or even road conditions such as blind hills or sunlight in your eyes, you as an attentive driver will slow down to a safe speed to allow for speed adjustments if necessary.
          (....)
          Awesome post Craig. It told me what I needed to know.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/43062924/...t-kahului-pier

Kusai nei.

Comment

Working...
            X