Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions re: leasing a car

Default Re: Questions re: leasing a car

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    For you knowledgeable HTers...are the following acceptable lease costs and, if so, are any of them negotiable...
    • "rent charge"
    Often called "Money Factor", yes, it is negotiable

"acquisition fee"

Negotiable, and I wouldn't pay anything.

"documentation fee" (what should this include?)

Negotiable, it is the cost the dealer charges for documenting the vehicle
    • "vehicle theft registration"
    Never heard of that. Sounds like a bogus charge. You will be required to carry "comprehensive" insurance which includes theft. That's all you need.

Something interesting I learned from my Googleathon...lemon laws don't apply to leased cars in most states. Hmmm

That shouldn't matter since your vehicle will be under warranty during the lease period, it is just the hassle of taking it in all the time.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Mahalo for all the info, Matapule!
    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    [...]it is just the hassle of taking it in all the time.
    Exactly. If that happened I would not be a happy camper at all esp. if the service dept. tried to blame it on something not covered in the warranty. Of course I'd get a 2nd opinion but the hassle of it all is what I want to avoid.

All pau...pheeeeeew!

It was an interesting week leading up to signing a contract. I so wished Craig worked at an Oahu dealership! I found the Auto Leasing Guide site extremely helpful.

I leased a Honda Insight with a down payment and monthly payments I budgeted for. Whatta trip it is...a computer and video game on wheels! After communicating with 3 Oahu dealers, Pflueger got my business. That surprised me because, going into this scenario, they were 3rd on my list (I can't get Kaloko dam out of my head). I liked the salesman, in spite of all that negotiation ca-ca, and he's been so accommodating and helpful. After 4 days I have a whopping 68 miles on the car! Another thing I like about the Insight is it doesn't have an ash tray or lighter. That's the "smoker's package" and must be ordered separately!

Oh...and Hawaii does recognize the Lemon Law for leased cars!

Now...to sell the old tutumobile!

The only thing about a lighter is I plug my phone charger in there but they
    probably have similar capacity. Sounds like you got a great car! Enjoy!

I forgot about the cell charger/lighter relationship, LL. A year ago I bought a charger that uses AA batteries...the result of a brand new phone, no car charger for it, arriving in Makaha with a drained cell and the wall charger still in town!!! I ended up not buying the car charger like I thought I would. Still, you make a good point. The car does have an aux jack and a usb connection for my iPod. The latter will charge the iPod and it allows the playlists and songs to be viewed on the radio's display. I haven't gotten around to trying that one yet! It's quite a geek shock for an untechie tutu, going from a 1995 car to a 2010 car! Lotsa changes in those 15 years!

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    The only thing about a lighter is I plug my phone charger in there but they
    probably have similar capacity. Sounds like you got a great car! Enjoy!
    Not entirely sure of the new Insight but most new cars still provide a 12V outlet in place of the cigarette lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Not entirely sure of the new Insight but most new cars still provide a 12V outlet in place of the cigarette lighter.
    Thanks. Not like I'm getting a new car or anything I just wondered. My 1998
    CRV is still cranking!

Apparently the Insight does have that. I haven't looked for it yet! I just figured out how to toggle between my iPod playlists and songs via the usb connection. Very cool! Possibly, by the time this 3 year lease is up, I'll have completely read the 435 page owner's manual.

The 12V outlet should be located where the cigarette lighter would have been. Bottom of the middle of the dash. You should also have a small container for coins in lieu of the ash tray.

The 12v outlet isn't there, OP. There's a storage tray + double cup holder under the dash, in front of the gear shifter thingie! See, I really know cars, don't I!!! My manual is in the car, 14 stories below me. I'll check it next time. I did find, online, the 12v outlet for the Insight LX, but not for my model, an EX. There's an aux jack in the EX where there's a 12v outlet in the LX. The photo is an LX. Now I'm curious!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Check in the compartment under the armrest between the seats. The armrest should hinge upwards. Inside you'll find the USB port and the 12-volt power outlet. As you have found the EX has two less cupholder's than the lower priced LX so it can accomodate the center armrest/storage compartment.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Thx, Craig. I wonder how I missed that outlet. I found and have used the usb connection and I've already filled up that armrest compartment!!!

Thx, Craig. I wonder how I missed that outlet. I found and have used the usb connection and I've already filled up that armrest compartment!!!
    You're supposed to be hiding your valuable electronics in the center compartment so that you can charge them while you're driving, because we're not using them while we're driving...

Even our 2006 Prius didn't come with an iPod aux jack. Our kid bought herself a small FM transmitter plugged into that 12v receptacle in the center compartment. There are plenty of instructions on the Internet for jacking into the factory radio but I haven't taken the time (or taken the drill to the dashboard). Our other car just has a bunch of CDs burned from our iTunes account.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    [...]As you have found the EX has two less cupholder's than the lower priced LX so it can accomodate the center armrest/storage compartment.
    Two cupholders work fine for me 'cuz no one will be allowed to eat or drink while in the car! A little extra storage is more important to me and I was looking forward to using the armrest. But, alas, it's too short and set back too far for it's intended use. Someone with long legs who can adjust the seat backwards won't have the same problem, I assume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    You're supposed to be hiding your valuable electronics in the center compartment so that you can charge them while you're driving, because we're not using them while we're driving...[...]
    While parked, I did plug my iPod into the usb connection to learn how to use it via the car's sound system's display screen. The side benefit is that the iPod was charging while I was schooling myself! There's a small drop down tray compartment under the sound system where the iPod can be set while in use. At that point it's controlled by the buttons on the sound system so the iPod itself becomes hands free. That frees up the center compartment to hold more junk!!! The phone is another story. I haven't used my phone while driving, not even hands free, in at least 4 years. It's too distracting. The phone is hiding in my purse along with the AA battery charger, a digital camera and, when not in use, the iPod! I have a big purse!

Apparently the Insight does have that. I haven't looked for it yet! I just figured out how to toggle between my iPod playlists and songs via the usb connection. Very cool! Possibly, by the time this 3 year lease is up, I'll have completely read the 435 page owner's manual.
    I think there are models out there with far thicker manuals.

But congrats on your new ride, you should post periodic updates on the Insight. It's definitely the sleeper hybrid with the Prius taking all the spotlight.

I think there are models out there with far thicker manuals.
    Oh lordy, I can't imagine!!! My previous car was 15 years old so, while techie for it's time, it, not to mention it's manual, pales in comparison!
    But congrats on your new ride, you should post periodic updates on the Insight. It's definitely the sleeper hybrid with the Prius taking all the spotlight.
    Ok! I'll start a new thread for the Insight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12