The Waikikian Hotel and Tahitian Lanai : Memories and photos here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Waikikian Hotel and Tahitian Lanai : Memories and photos here

OK, In an attempt to get live vicariously through others, I'm fishing here, so I hope you'll humor me.

I've been fascinated with the now defunct Waikikian Hotel and Tahitian Lanai restaurant (and Papeete Bar) which once graced the corridor between the Ilikai and Hilton Hawaiian Village on the Lagoon.

I know there are more than a few folks on here who must have some photos, memories etc of this amazing and truly unique place. I, myself, never made to Oahu until 2005, way after the Waikikian met it's most unfortunate demise, so I never got to experience it first hand.

There are some photos on the internet, and some web pages with info and stuff about the Waikikian and Tahitian Lanai, but, I've seen most of them.
    The Hyperbolic Paraboloid Lobby was easily one of the most unique and adventurous pieces of Mid Century Modern (or any other genre) Architecture ever...

So, I'm asking you folks on here for some photos and memories you may have of "Hawaii's Most beautiful Hotel". If so, please share them here.

That being said, I'll post what I have here.

First the thread on here with a few pics...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ight=Waikikian

and a great tribute site... http://gregg-n.tripod.com/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm
    Attached Files
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: The Waikikian Hotel and Tahitian Lanai : Memories and photos here

It's no secret that the TL was my favorite restaurant. During the 1980s I met a woman who visited Hawaii once a year. She was a friend of a friend. This woman, each year, put together a Sunday brunch that included Marty and June Denny, Jimmy and Vicky Borges, Varoa Tiki, big band leader Del Courtney, big band singer Connie Haines and others. It was a huge table full of lots of great conversation. Once the restaurant closed between lunch and dinner, the guests at our table were allowed to stay and move to the piano bar where a jam session to end all jam sessions occurred! DAYAM...fun, fun times!

Comment

All through the 60's & 70's, this was a favorite place of mine. When I came back on vacations, it was the first place I headed. And when I returned to Honolulu in 1996, I was lucky to have one of the weekly rental units in the multi-story building. It was a lot of fun & still very cheap. and it was so convenient to the restaurant/bar - I ate a lot of Eggs Benedict and popovers while there. and of course, went many more times after I found a regular place to live (and a job). I was so sad when they closed and very sad when they tore everything down.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Great stories....Marting Denny and Victor Borge...daayam is right.
        Photos ? PLEASE tell me you guys have photos

Also, Sue, I see that you are friends with Bill Tapia on Facebook. I sit in with a Hapa Haole group , The Smokin Menehunes on bongos, and the Uke Player/singer is a guy named Pat "Palika" Enos....He used to play at the Tahitian Lanai, the Sandbox, Honey's and other legendary spots back in the 60's...
        Well, Pat is the one currently taking care of Bill,now 103 years old, and Bill comes down and sings and plays a few tunes with the group. He'll be doing it again this Friday...gonna make sure I get pics this time. Bill Tapia, from what I've been told, is sort of a legend in the Hawaiian music circles, no ?

Anyway, I have to pick Pat's brain about the Waikikian and the Tahitian Lanai more this week.

Thanx for the memories, guys, keep em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          Great stories....Marting Denny and Victor Borge...daayam is right.
          Oops! Not Victor Borge! Jimmy Borges (local entertainer) and his wife, Vicky!
          Photos ? PLEASE tell me you guys have photos
          I don't have any. I think the hostess of that annual brunch had them but she has since passed away. I don't really remember many (any?) cameras at the table.
          [...]Bill Tapia, from what I've been told, is sort of a legend in the Hawaiian music circles, no ?[...]
          Oh my, yes! He still travels for gigs!

Comment

Eggs Benedict!!!!!
            My parents & In-laws stayed there when we had our 10th wedding anniversary renewal of vows and afterparty. Loved strolling the tree lined walkways.
            Loved the lobby, loved everything about it!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Oops! Not Victor Borge! Jimmy Borges (local entertainer) and his wife, Vicky!

I don't have any. I think the hostess of that annual brunch had them but she has since passed away. I don't really remember many (any?) cameras at the table.

Oh my, yes! He still travels for gigs!
              Sorry, I misread the Victor Borge part.

Bill tapia is in a wheelchair now, so he doesn't travel as much. but he's pretty amazing I must say.

Too bad about the pictures....I just would love to see photos of the place that I haven't already seen.

Leashlaws...do you have any ?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                Bill tapia is in a wheelchair now, so he doesn't travel as much. but he's pretty amazing I must say.
                Just learned that he passed away in his sleep overnight, at age 103. Aloha `oe, Tappy.

Comment

Working...
                X