Furnished condos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnished condos

Anybody know of any really nice furnished long-term rentals on Oahu? I'm looking to stay under $2000/month and hope to find something with a modern or contemporary design. I'm getting station at MCBH, but will be attending University of Hawaii in my off time, so something on that side of the island would be perfect. I'm currently living in the Wast Bay area and commute to San Francisco for school, so driving 30-40 miles in traffic doesn't bother me.

Re: Furnished condos

would suggest checking Craigslist for rentals.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Couchaj View Post
      I'm getting station at MCBH, but will be attending University of Hawaii in my off time, so something on that side of the island would be perfect.
      I'm a bit confused -- MCBH is in Kaneohe and UH is on the other side of the island, so when you say you want "something on that side of the island".... which side do you mean?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        I'm a bit confused -- MCBH is in Kaneohe and UH is on the other side of the island, so when you say you want "something on that side of the island".... which side do you mean?
        I guess I meant the side of the island east of the airport. Looking at a map, the university is directly south of Kaneohe, so any neighborhood along that route would work.
        As far as craigslist, I've been looking at it daily, but I was hoping to get some opinions of decent areas...craigslist doesn't really do a good job of that.

Comment

I guess I meant the side of the island east of the airport. Looking at a map, the university is directly south of Kaneohe, so any neighborhood along that route would work.
          As far as craigslist, I've been looking at it daily, but I was hoping to get some opinions of decent areas...craigslist doesn't really do a good job of that.
          Just a quick tip, Couchaj! North, south, east and west aren't used much here...at least not nearly as much as on the mainland. Kaneohe is on the Windward Side. UH is in town. Those 2 sides of the island are separated by a mountain range...the Koolaus. It sounds like you're looking for a place in town...or Diamond Head (or Koko Head!) of the airport!

Oh...the other directions are mauka (towards the mountain) and makai (towards the ocean).

You'll get the hang of it. I promise!

Comment

so driving 30-40 miles in traffic doesn't bother me.
            Does sitting on the highway for 1-1.5 hours bother you?

I know what you're talking about. Windward side, somewhere between Kanehoe and UH. There are lots of condos in town (Waikiki) that are furnished, but those are pretty expensive, especially furnished. I know there are a few complexes in Kaneohe, some furnished. Those should be cheaper. You're going to want to stick with something that's in one of those two places or along the Likelike hwy or the Pali Hwy, because those are the easiest ways to get to town/to the base.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I agree with TutuSue (as usual) about the directions. Usually considering town (Honolulu proper) as ground zero, you have mauka, makai, Diamond Head (or Koko Head) going roughly east, and Ewa going roughly west. However, Oahu does not lie perfectly horizontal to the normal north/south/east/west directions; the island cants off at an angle, so regular compass directions confuse a lot of folks. Example: if you're heading to the north shore, you're actually heading northwest, and if you're heading toward what you think of as east, you're actually heading southeast. Even freeway signs here will confuse you -- they'll say you're heading east when you're actually heading south, etc.
              Ergo, your comment about "east of the airport" really means northeast, and your comment about UH being "south of Kaneohe" is actually southeast. Confused yet? You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
              As for neighborhoods "along the route" between MCBH and UH, most of that route is over the Ko`olau mountains, and there are no neighborhoods there. You've got Kaneohe (my hometown) near MCBH, and then Nu`uanu Valley is the first neighborhood on the UH side if you go over the Pali Highway, or Kalihi Valley if you go over Likelike Highway. Not much at all in the way of condos in either of those areas. Kalihi can be kind of a rough nieghborhood, and Nu`uanu is the opposite and very pricey.
              (And with all due respect to SurlyGirly, I disagree about the condos in Kaneohe being cheaper than in town.)
              I think what you're looking for can probably best be found in the Punchbowl area. (Location of the famous National Cemetery Of The Pacific.) There's a ton of reasonably priced condo buildings all around that area, it's right next to both the Pali and H-1 freeways and very close to UH and easy to hop on the Pali to get to MCBH.
              That's my two cents worth, anyway.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]
                I think what you're looking for can probably best be found in the Punchbowl area. (Location of the famous National Cemetery Of The Pacific.) There's a ton of reasonably priced condo buildings all around that area, it's right next to both the Pali and H-1 freeways and very close to UH and easy to hop on the Pali to get to MCBH.[...]
                Hmmm...can't say that area would be my first choice. Or my 2nd! Stick with us, Couchaj...we'll confuse the heck out of you!

Comment

(And with all due respect to SurlyGirly, I disagree about the condos in Kaneohe being cheaper than in town.)
                  That's cool. Just what we found when looking 2 years ago, but a lot's changed since then. And at the risk of starting an argument or getting the thread off track, I totally understand about giving the OP the island directions, but maybe have pity for right this minute and let him/her get an answer before throwing a million island terms around? Anyway, plenty of people use cardinal directions. I was able to get directions the whole time I lived there and no one ever told me manoa/ewa. It was more trouble of understand the whole "Go left by where the Taco Bell used to be, turn right at the dumpster, and pull in just beyond the 3rd pole- the one with the six tacks and an old yard sale sign hanging off."

Couchaj- Try maybe Windward Estates in Kaneohe.
                  Last edited by surlygirly; June 4, 2010, 04:28 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I'm getting station at MCBH, but will be attending University of Hawaii in my off time, so something on that side of the island would be perfect. I'm currently living in the Wast Bay area and commute to San Francisco for school, so driving 30-40 miles in traffic doesn't bother me.
                    I wouldn't compare Oahu driving to the Bay area, but both places are pretty frustrating to be stuck in traffic when you're running late from unavoidable workday "extensions".

Have you considered (1) another Oahu college, (2) courses taught on base, and (3) online courses? UH seems like a default college but you'll find a few other good schools here (like Hawaii Pacific University or Chaminade) and many of the island's schools try to work with the military to bring the classes to the bases.

If you choose your activities to be mostly on the Windward side then you'll have more flexible housing options. You'll also have an easier commute for those unexpected recalls...
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Just a quick tip, Couchaj! North, south, east and west aren't used much here...at least not nearly as much as on the mainland. Kaneohe is on the Windward Side. UH is in town. Those 2 sides of the island are separated by a mountain range...the Koolaus. It sounds like you're looking for a place in town...or Diamond Head (or Koko Head!) of the airport!

Oh...the other directions are mauka (towards the mountain) and makai (towards the ocean).

You'll get the hang of it. I promise!
                      Thanks for the tip...I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                        I wouldn't compare Oahu driving to the Bay area, but both places are pretty frustrating to be stuck in traffic when you're running late from unavoidable workday "extensions".

Have you considered (1) another Oahu college, (2) courses taught on base, and (3) online courses? UH seems like a default college but you'll find a few other good schools here (like Hawaii Pacific University or Chaminade) and many of the island's schools try to work with the military to bring the classes to the bases.

If you choose your activities to be mostly on the Windward side then you'll have more flexible housing options. You'll also have an easier commute for those unexpected recalls...
                        I have considered other colleges on the island, but why not go to the best? I've also looked into the bases and their offerings, but most are undergrad and the few graduate classes they have don't fit my program. As far as online, I'm saving that option as a last resort.

Comment

Aloha Couchaj
                          I currently live in the Bay Area and have rentals in Honolulu. I have a furnished studio in Waikiki without parking that gets $1,000 with utilities included in a highrise. I also have a furnished one bedroom with parking, W/D & lanai that runs $1500. This is probably the middle range for Waikiki. You'll pay more for bigger highrise with more amenities and less for a three story walkup.

Pualei Circle area and nearby Diamond Head Sands in the Diamond Head area is full of condos that are in demand. I rented to a pilot stationed at Kaneohe and he eventually bought in Waikiki. It is my understanding that there alot of Kaneohe military in the area. UH Manoa is 3-4 miles away and almost walkable. Alot of UH students live and work in Waikiki. The best thing is you can walk to the beach and Waikiki but not be quite in the middle of it. Rentals here are mostly unfurnished and rent $1500 to $1900 but you can find an occasional furnished apartment. It's not that hard to start from scratch as there's always someone moving back to the mainland wanting to sell all the crap they paid a fortune shipping over. You would have to camp out until you got yourself set up though.

In the Gold Coast area on the beach just outside of Waikiki you could probably find a very small furnished rental in a building on the beach but your unit would have no view and possibly no parking in the just over $2000 range.

There are even cheaper/bigger rentals outside Waikiki but if you're young and have never spent time in Hawaii you'll always wish you didn't have to drive to the beach or drive into Waikiki to party.

PM me if you have some specific questions.

Aloha
                          Honobob
                          sigpicIt's slowly dawned on me that we won the real estate lottery!

Comment

Originally posted by honobob View Post
                            [...]
                            Pualei Circle area and nearby Diamond Head Sands in the Diamond Head area is full of condos that are in demand.[...]
                            I'll vouch for Pualei Circle. Great location.

Comment

I have considered other colleges on the island, but why not go to the best?
                              No doubt you'll have plenty of quality traffic time to consider the criteria for your assessment of the term "best"...

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I'll vouch for Pualei Circle. Great location.
                              We visited the condo in the center of that street earlier this week-- very nice and very nicely located. If I ever reverted to condo living then I think that'd be the place.
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X