N. King St. Saimin House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. King St. Saimin House?

anyone remember the exact name of that saimin stand that used to be across the side street of the old Palama Theater? Chevron Gas is there at the present...I remember back in the early 60s going here and eating on wooden bench seats...but nothing else...

Re: that saimin house on north king st (just ewa of the old Palama Theater)

I went to Kaiulani Elementary School from '52 thru '57 and can only remember a large pool hall on that corner, reeking of cigarettes and cigars. Maybe mention of that pool hall will help jog someone's memory.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
      anyone remember the exact name of that saimin stand that used to be across the side street of the old Palama Theater? Chevron Gas is there at the present...I remember back in the early 60s going here and eating on wooden bench seats...but nothing else...
      Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
      I went to Kaiulani Elementary School from '52 thru '57 and can only remember a large pool hall on that corner, reeking of cigarettes and cigars. Maybe mention of that pool hall will help jog someone's memory.
      Across the Gas Station was and still is St. Elizabeth Church. I attended the pre-school at the right. (Yeah, there were pre-schools back den) I ran away to the corner and got caught by the stop sign.) K-den. To your left of that is a small park and then there's Kaumakapili Church. Further down by Tamashiro Market there was a Saimin Stand across Kaiulani Elementary School. It's no longer there. The son opened up in the same lot as New Diners Drive in Kalihi. Taste the same.

The poolhall was in the old Zaboanga Theater. Many Filipino Boxers from the Phillipines went there and their supporters. *winks*

Auntie Lynn

I found what you are looking for.
      "Robello Saimin House."
      http://alohaworld.com/hanabuddah/art...50-palama-days
      My classmate from Kindergarten to High School wrote about it.
      Eileen Vina Cabral
      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 6, 2010, 10:40 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks, Aunty! ... i was a very small kid...and i think I was taken there on a few occasions because my parents went to watch a movie at the Palama Theater across the street...

"Robello Saimin House."
        Eileen Vina Cabral[/QUOTE]

Comment

Re: N. King St. Saimin House?

Robello Saimin is right! Good memory, Lynn.

After the saimin shop closed down, Happy's Drive-In took its place. Then sometime in the mid-1980s, the Chevron station was built.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            "Robello Saimin House."
            Eileen Vina Cabral
            Man, dat lady remember some stuff I wen forget long time. Dat one stoah dat had see moi like football olives, crack seed, & oh, yeah, dried squid and kakimochi . . . we used to sneak past dat place to jump over da fence to go Kaiulani School. Why we wen jump da fence, I no remember, but we used to.

Aunty, tanks eh . . . really needed da lady's writeup to jog my memory.

My memory funny kine . . . but I still tink dat pool hall was on da Ewa side of Robello. No big ting.
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
              Dat one stoah dat had see moi like football olives, crack seed, & oh, yeah, dried squid and kakimochi . . . we used to sneak past dat place to jump over da fence to go Kaiulani School. Why we wen jump da fence, I no remember, but we used to.
              heheheh

I wen jump dat fence too.

My favorite was da black tiny seeds and cracker jacks foa da toy.

Kalihi-Palama has changed Big Time. They call it progress.

Comment

Re: N. King St. Saimin House?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                After the saimin shop closed down, Happy's Drive-In took its place. Then sometime in the mid-1980s, the Chevron station was built.
                FM, The Chevron Station was built in the late 60's. I was a JPO and stood guard by Robello and remember it there. Plus, in the early 70's our daily stops would be Happy's Drive-In. I have pictures but it's all in storage.
                Last edited by 1stwahine; June 7, 2010, 07:56 AM. Reason: heheheh

Comment

Working...
                X