Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    Manini, but a copy editor should have caught that.
    Here’s one that’s not so manini... maybe they’ll fix it by dawn, but I have attached a screenshot so you can see lazy incompetence in print form. Is that hard to proof a ready-made wire story?!
    Attached Files

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

The TV version of this pops up every once in a while - "Insert spot here . . ."

Comment

Deleted by Amati
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I rarely visit the Star-Advertiser site anymore, so this may be old news, but... the 'Print Version' link now points to a third-party ad-framing service called 'Format Dynamics.' Basically, it tries to paginate and flow an article into paper-sized chunks but with prominent ads included.

Of course, many of us loved using the print or mobile versions of stories to avoid the ads, and distributed those links specifically. I can understand needing to add a few more impressions for advertisers by closing the loophole.

But the 'Format Dynamics' layouts are a mess. Article text flows funny, leaves giant white spaces here and there, making the ads even more prominent and ridiculous. They'd have done much better had they just made sure ad code was included in the print version of story pages manually.

Thank heavens for browser tools like Readability and Reader:
          Highly recommended, both for clean printouts and for clean web viewing.

Comment

I like the largely uncluttered and nearly ad free mobile web page for Star-Advertiser. Lately however, they have a small banner to promote their mobile breaking news app for iOS and Android... and the main page content skews to the left instead of center... and the type is slightly smaller.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/mobile/

Individual article pages display as before, centered with bigger type and no ad or graphics clutter. A typical page:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ml?mobile=true

Also if you are on the more graphic intensive main site or individual news page, you can add "?mobile=true" to the end of the URL to get a clutter free page that should print OK.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I decided to cancel my subscription to the Star Advertiser. It wasn't because of its writing. The problem is when you call them and want to stop delivery on certain days. It's a crapshoot that they get the days right. So, the paper is left on your doorway showing that there's nobody's home for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                I decided to cancel my subscription to the Star Advertiser. It wasn't because of its writing. The problem is when you call them and want to stop delivery on certain days. It's a crapshoot that they get the days right. So, the paper is left on your doorway showing that there's nobody's home for awhile.
                It's probably the delivery person, not the newspaper.
                I had problems too, but a few phone calls got it fixed. I have a newspaper tube, and they were throwing the paper on my concrete driveway, which ripped the plastic and the paper got wet. I told the manager that either the delivery people used the tube or they'd lose my account, and there has been no further problem; the paper is now always in the tube.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Bad news for us who just visit the Starvatiser website:

Later this summer the newspaper's website will go to a paid content model, he said. More than a third of U.S. newspapers are already charging for their content, and the majority of them are expected to introduce paid content in the next 18 months, Francis said.

This item was buried deep inside a story regarding the Starvatiser's one year anniversary.

Link: http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...ml?mobile=true
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oahu readers said they were 82 percent satisfied with the paper in a recent SMS Research survey, Kennedy said.
                    Stats are so interesting. Yes, it is probably that most of the "readers" are satisfied, otherwise they'd perhaps not be readers anymore.

I wonder what is the % of Oahu residents [not just readers] who are satisfied with the paper?

And, what % of the current "readers" will remain readers, if a fee is imposed?

Although the article also states,
                    "Breaking news and a large part of the website will still be free,
                    and if that is accurate, then I suppose the free readers will still come to the site, to get what limited free information they can.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I would guess that news you pay for is still better than no news at all because the provider is out of business.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        I would guess that news you pay for is still better than no news at all because the provider is out of business.
                        Damn! What news do we NOT pay for? (in one way or another)
                        And, if we get news that we don't pay for, what is it worth???
                        (I guess it's worth what we pay for it!)

Buzz, you been gone too long. Good to see your face again.

K-~M~
                        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          Damn! What news do we NOT pay for? (in one way or another)
                          MidWeek comes free in the mail to everyone on the island. How about that one?

And, if we get news that we don't pay for, what is it worth???
                          MidWeek is worth what it costs.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            MidWeek is worth what it costs.
                            Well, we agree on that!
                            ~ ~

Comment

anything's better than the Tribune Herald here in Hilo.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I won't rule out paying for the paper's content online. I'd like to see what paid access gets me. I've said for years that there are certain things that would have me happily shelling out my money, among them a downloadable NYT crossword puzzle, a customizable comics page (block the comics I hate and let me see the ones I want in my preferred order), and a customizable front page that shows me what I want to see in the order I want to see it. I have a feeling that's not what I'm going to get, but I'm open-minded. Let's see how it goes.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X