The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

I'm wondering if those of us who already pay for a hard subscription will get the online version too, at no extra cost.
    We should. But that doesn't mean we will.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      I'm wondering if those of us who already pay for a hard subscription will get the online version too, at no extra cost.
      We should. But that doesn't mean we will.
      I think all paid subscriptions should have access to the full online monty.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I think all paid subscriptions should have access to the full online monty.
        Me too, which is why I asked the question. Anybody know the answer? Maybe Buzz does?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Me too, which is why I asked the question. Anybody know the answer? Maybe Buzz does?
          That's an answer that's above our pay grade. From my own perspective, it makes sense doesn't it? But I cannot say with any certainty that that's what'll happen.

BTW the news about the paywall model is not new. This was announced last year when the Star-Advertiser emerged.

Scrivener, those are all neat ideas. Have you thought about sending them to the powers that be?
          ---
          Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

I'll find out when the rest of you do!
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Thanks, guys.
              And Gene, nice to see you back here at HT. Seems like it's been a couple of years. Enjoying your work?
              Buzz, always nice to see you when you can pop in! I really enjoy your blog, too.

Comment

It's been a few years! The likes of Twitter have pulled me away from good old fashioned message boards.

I remember when I signed up in 2006, but didn't start posting until 2007 when I was heartbroken and wanting to reach out to more people. It doesn't seem that long ago, certainly not four years ago!
                ---
                Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Nothing against the SA, but since I usually get the newspaper free in the company lunch room, if I pay for on-line news, I'm more likely to pay for Civil Beat then for SA. More to promote competition and broaden my sources then anything else.

Comment

The latest on the Starvatiser's plan to charge for online content:

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser will begin charging for premium online content Aug. 3, joining an industry trend that has accelerated since the beginning of the year.

Beginning Aug. 3, others can subscribe for $19.95 a month to an all-access package, which includes the print edition and the premium online content. Readers who want to forgo the print edition or live outside of the newspaper's delivery area will be offered special rates to digital-only premium content on a daily, monthly or annual basis.

Nonsubscribers still will have free digital access to several areas, including breaking news, Associated Press stories, the website's front page and section fronts, event calendars, Ho*nolulu Pulse, TGIF, photo galleries, blogs, classifieds, travel, obituaries and traffic...
                    THE COMPLETE ARTICLE AT THIS LINK

Well there are other free sources of news content. I probably won't be reading the Starvatiser much after they go into this tiered, pay for content system.

Look at Civil Beat. They were mostly pay per view, but have since opened a lot of their content to free viewing.

Blogs and other sites also offer free content, much of which are not covered by mainstream media such as the Starvatiser.

Lastly, links from the Starvatiser and their previous papers will probably more than likely break - which is bad for bloggers who have used them as well as many links to this board.

I ain't spending my money on this. Next...
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Looks like it is time to drop Star-Advertiser from my "favorites". Hello KITV.com & HawaiiNewsNow.com.

I like how the article said 25% of papers charge. That could also read, 75% DO NOT charge. Show me the money? Ha, Star-Advertiser, I'll show you how I never navigate to your website again.

DXer

Comment

their email version of the paper has been so full of large ads that make the page skip around. when you go to another page, you get another large ad at the top. i certainly don't plan on paying $20 a month for something that i could subscribe to in hard copy for a lot less. plus, the paper is just not that great anymore anyway. there are much better sources for news around that are free.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Well there are other free sources of news content.
                          Blogs and other sites also offer free content, much of which are not covered by mainstream media such as the Starvatiser.
                          Yes, but very few of the blogs actually cover news, and none of them do it with the kind of journalistic standards that the mainstream news tries to stick to, such as fact-checking and avoiding speculative stories. The other free sources, such as the TV news websites, tend to stick to very short pieces.

I ain't spending my money on this.
                          I think I am. I can have it delivered right to my phone (or other reading device), so if the price is reasonable for the electronic-only subscription, I think I'll give it a try.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          i certainly don't plan on paying $20 a month for something that i could subscribe to in hard copy for a lot less.
                          It's $8.50 per week if you buy it at the newsstand. What does the delivery subscription cost?

I'm eager to see what the pay structure looks like when it's published tomorrow. If it's reasonable and if I can squeeze it into my already-tight budget, I think I'll give it a shot. I hope someone has heard my repeated suggestion that a pay version should include a printable copy of the NYT crossword puzzle!
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

i used to subscribe to the advertiser when they had sunday only delivery. now, with s-a, you have to take multiple days which i don't need. plus its just more to re-cycle. i'll keep reading their free content but won't pay for anything more. and i still don't need the hard copy.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It's hard to get people to pay for something they got free. I remember when the network wanted a person to pay for the Olympics triplecast. Satellite radio made Howard Stern a richer man, but how many people hear what he has to say anymore.

Comment

Another reason for me not wanting to buy (I have long ago stopped getting the paper paper) is because of their editorial slant on many issues and their outright endorsement for things such as... um... rail.

So why would I pay for a paper that doesn't support the things I like. Reading it for free is OK, but to pay for it... NO.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X