The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Mel is confusing editorial opinion pieces with straight news. Why would you support a paper that doesn't like the things you like? Because if you only read what you agree with, you're not dealing with the real world.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      Mel is confusing editorial opinion pieces with straight news. Why would you support a paper that doesn't like the things you like? Because if you only read what you agree with, you're not dealing with the real world.
      I know what straight news is... all the stuff that gets put on the front page and various news sections. If it bleeds it leads stuff too.

However I cannot help to think that the editor's influences beyond what they write in the editorial pages show up as bias in the main news story... subtle as it may be. For example once your paper endorses candidate A over B, I cannot help but think all news stories will put the endorsed candidate up in a better light over the one the paper does not like... which usually is the candidate that I like... especially in this town.

The endorsed candidate may get his / her picture placed above the fold or even bigger than the non-endorsed candidate.

Anyways, I think I'll get enough of a clue from what the Starvatiser is reporting by just simply continuing reading their tweets and using whatever free content is left on the website.

I would like to know if paid subscribers will continue to be bombarded with the annoying roll down banner ads, pop ups and pop unders. Those who are subscribing please report on this in the future.

I already chose with my wallet to not subscribe, like how I make a choice on everything else.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        However I cannot help to think that the editor's influences beyond what they write in the editorial pages show up as bias in the main news story... subtle as it may be. For example once your paper endorses candidate A over B, I cannot help but think all news stories will put the endorsed candidate up in a better light over the one the paper does not like... which usually is the candidate that I like... especially in this town.

The endorsed candidate may get his / her picture placed above the fold or even bigger than the non-endorsed candidate.
        Just in case you don't know, but the editorial board is completely different from the editors (say, my direct supervisor). It's a different set of staff, and the editorial board aren't even necessarily called editors. They're just part of the staff.

During elections, the newspapers (both) were very careful about picture sizes of the two leading candidates. They always made sure both would get the same amount of play and column spaces. I've seen no evidence of, say, Abercrombie getting a bigger picture than Aiona during last year's elections.
        ---
        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Boarders bookstores ran into financial problems, and one theory is because they did not quickly deal with the trend of internet sales.

Maybe newspapers are facing the same problem of the internet blasting away at their core customer base (ie newspaper subscribers).

So, is it that newspapers need to change how they do business, or end up going out of business .... like Borders?
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
            Just in case you don't know, but the editorial board is completely different from the editors (say, my direct supervisor). It's a different set of staff, and the editorial board aren't even necessarily called editors. They're just part of the staff.
            And that's been s.o.p. for any reputable newspaper for a very long time now - news, editorial & sales staff are separate divisions, so that there will not be a "contamination" of reporting; no influence on stories because the editorial staff endorse a candidate or issue, or because a particular company is a major purchaser of advertising. That's part of a little thing called "journalistic ethics."

Comment

Ian Lind's blog site reports that there is a two tiered pricing system for the Starvatiser and that local Hawaii readers will have to pay more for content vs. the readers on the mainland.

Yup. The S-A is quoting $9.95 a month for digital-only subscriptions for Hawaii residents, but enter a mainland zip code and discover an unadvertised price break that drops the cost to $1.95 a month or $10 for the year.
              http://ilind.net/2011/07/25/star-adv...-up-next-week/

Um, how can this paper screw the locals even more!??

When they first became the Starvatisers they really whacked it to their local advertisers.. the firms that actually buy the display ads in the paper and presumably online too.

What? The ads not paying enough for the paper to keep afloat? What was that huge merger all about?

And now out of state online subscribers will pay only $1.95 a month for content while in state subscribers have to pay $9.95 or whatever it is???

Usually the kama'aina get the breaks in this state. Not so with the Starvatiser.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ten bucks per month is more $2.50 per week. I'm down.

Um, how can this paper screw the locals even more!??
                I think there is a difference between giving one group a discount and "screwing" the group that doesn't get the discount. You've made it clear that the local paper doesn't give you something worth the price it is asking. But calling it "screwing" you when you're not forced to pay its asking price is going a bit far, don't you think? Members of the military get to see movies at the theater for less than I'm paying, but I don't consider the theaters to be screwing me. Do you?
                Last edited by scrivener; July 25, 2011, 02:37 PM.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Those lucky Mainland readers can't take advantage of anything the SA is advertising or writing about, either. And there's still a ton of free stuff available.

BTW, just entering a Mainland ZIP code isn't an end run. What matters is the ZIP on your credit card info.

Seriously, if the online ads were paying enough to support the product, you'd still have two newspapers in this town. Many towns don't have any newspapers.
                  When you see stuff like HawaiiReporter's story about the skull found at Pearl Harbor — a story in which basic facts are replaced by WAGs by the writer — there is a significant different in process.

Whatever it is that Mel does for a living, I'd like him to do it for all of us for free. And no whining.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

now I'm confused - is it $19.95 per mo as reported at the beginning of this thread? or is it $9.95? for $9.95, I might consider it. Especially if they improve their website, not have so many rolling ads & pop-ups. and if they include more of the content of the print version. They have not had a good website since ZZType left!
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      now I'm confused - is it $19.95 per mo as reported at the beginning of this thread? or is it $9.95? for $9.95, I might consider it. Especially if they improve their website, not have so many rolling ads & pop-ups. and if they include more of the content of the print version. They have not had a good website since ZZType left!
                      It is $9.95. There is much confusion about the $20 pricetag, I think Cat Toth implied that it's $20, but that is for the subscription to the paper edition as well.

And for now, there's a $50 a year online only subscription deal, far less than $10 a month. I'm not sure how long that deal with last, but that's a LOT cheaper than even I expected it to be.
                      ---
                      Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

$19.95 is what it costs for a subscription for the hard-print copy that's home delivered (altho some folks have gotten it cheaper via special deals). If you're a print subscriber, you get the online version too. If you're online ONLY, then it's $9.95/month or $50/year.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

More on the PAYWALL...

http://thecatdish.com/musings/would-...r-news-online/
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            They have not had a good website since ZZType left!
                            Amen. I hate reading it on the web anyway. Getting a PDF-like document on my phone, however, works a lot better for me.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think the question should be: What are you going to get for "premium content"? For that matter, has there been premium content since the two papers merged and it became the Star-Advertiser? What are you going to miss out on if you don't subscribe? And ultimately, is it worth it?

I wouldn't subscribe until I know what I'm going to get, and what I'm not going to get. Till then, it's wait and see.

Comment

i understand that if i had a mainland zip code, it would only be $1.95 per month. i'm probably going to pass on this one for now.
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X