Sailing-Hawaii connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sailing-Hawaii connection?

HOORAY! You're back safe and sound! I've been thinking about you quite often over the past three weeks, so it's great to hear from you! And I'm obviously looking forward to hearing much more about the trip.
    I mentioned you over in the thread about the tsunami we had on March 11th. If you don't know yet, most of Keehi Lagoon's docks were destroyed and I was wondering if you guys would have a place to put the boat any more. Are you going to help him bring it from Hilo to here? (I also wondered what happened to your own former boats there in Keehi. Let us know, when you find out. 67 boats there are still missing!)
    Looking forward to more info and more photos from you, and again, I'm really glad you made it safely. Well done!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      Okay we did it folks! Safe and sound from San Diego to Hilo.
      MM I am relieved that you have arrived safely and that is no fakakata!

3 days of sea trials, then 4th day off across the ocean.
      We cast off at 6:40am 2/24.
      headed south along baja mexico, got walloped by a gale (35+ winds, 18-25' seas) for two days.
      I has been a brutal winter along the California/Baja left coast. You have done well kaume'a.

2,776 nautical miles
      26 days, 15 hours at sea
      Tied on in hilo at 9:35pm 3/22
      I would have done this trip in about 18 days in my 40 foot trawler, but that's the difference in a 30 ft sailboat and and a 40 ft power boat. Where did you turn right off the Baja coast?

Hopefully will blog and post photos when I can!!!
      You better .......or else!

An incredible experience, glad I did it, now off the 'bucket list', will stick to day sails off Waikiki or Kaneohe from now on... HaHa!
      Now you don't have to say could've, wouldv'e, should've.

Blessed be great god Maui
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I gave the new camera I bought to Don for two reasons... too difficult for me and his died just before the trip. I'll see what I can get of their photos later.

Here are my photos taken and listed in order taken. Any numbers skipped are naturalist shots of us naked that I figure you're not really interested in seeing.
        The Flickr set

Please ask questions or leave comments.
        I posted comments on many shots for context.

Enjoy... I did!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Liked a nice Flickr set of the sail to Hilo. Looks like you folks ate fairly well. Boat must have been well stocked.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Looks like you folks ate fairly well. Boat must have been well stocked.
            We honestly had enough canned goods for the 3 of us to get by for at least 3 months. And supplementing that with fresh Mahimahi? Priceless!

Comment

Nice set of photos, MM. I looked at every one of 'em.
              First thing that came to mind is that I was glad to see each of you wearing a safety harness every time you were on deck, which should always be the rule. Good quality harnesses, too.
              Looks like you didn't take any photos during the gale.
              No spinnaker or cruising chute, eh? I saw all those wing-and-wing shots. Looks like he should've had a longer track for the reaching strut, based on the angle up to one of the headsails. Might well be why that strut broke.
              I was surprised to not see a fixed boom vang. And I hope you had a strong setup for a jibe preventer.
              Really nice to see details of the boat inside and on deck; it almost looks like a brand new boat. Well done.
              You want questions, so let's start with the basics. What was your favorite part of the trip, and what was the least favorite? What things do you wish you'd taken along that you didn't? What's the most important thing you learned?

Comment

Right on Likanui!

Yes, a longer track for the reaching pole is in and on order.
                Yes, no boom vang and we sure wished we had. Only had ropes tied so the boom couldn't cross the boat and knock one of us out. Also in and on order.

It is a brand new boat!!! When Don bought her 41/2 years ago... she was an empty shell. He did everything to create this masterpiece of a sailing vessel.
                [IMG] Looking aft by Menehune Man, on Flickr[/IMG]

My most favorite part of the experience was the night sky. Ten times more stars than I've ever seen in other places. Incredible and my camera just couldn't capture it.

My watches were from midnight till 4am and again from noon till 4pm (4 on, 8 off) I enjoyed both of those times but had difficulty getting sleep in between, what with the movement, noise of the boat along with both the others moving about the boat. That was tough and my least favorite.

I think we had everything needed. Those two were into their ipods and I don't own one. I joked that "I don't need no stinkin' ipod, I've got more songs stored in my head than you got in there!" HaHa!

Most important thing learned?
                That sometimes reality is as good as the fantasy!

Comment

email excerpt I just received from Don
                  "Here's a test video I uploaded.
                  I will add more to it and play with it over the next while and get a bunch up over the next couple weeks."

It's me (Menehune Man) talking in the video!

Dolango's YouTube Channel... http://www.youtube.com/user/dolango

Comment

Most important thing learned?
                    That sometimes reality is as good as the fantasy!
                    More truth than poetry in that!

MM, this is first time I've had to review the pictures because of a sloooooow Internet connection for the last month. Question I have is why the reef in the main in what looks like very light conditions? Where did you turn right off the Baja coast?

I am not a fan of 4 hour watches, especially at night. I try to run 2 hour watches during the day and 3 hour watches at night......even with a crew of two, but three is better.

I hope to follow in your tracks within the next year. I would hope for as good conditions as you had.

Keep us posted as you put more material up.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

My most favorite part of the experience was the night sky. Ten times more stars than I've ever seen in other places.
                      More like 100 times, methinks. The only comparable sighting would be from the top of a very tall mountain where there are no city lights anywhere within a hundred miles. Anyway, another question for you was if you noticed the bottoms of clouds turning green as you approached the islands. (In daylight, of course.)
                      And is the boat still in Hilo?

My watches were from midnight till 4am and again from noon till 4pm (4 on, 8 off) I enjoyed both of those times but had difficulty getting sleep in between, what with the movement, noise of the boat along with both the others moving about the boat.
                      Before you left, I suggested switching to your new sleep schedule at least a week ahead of leaving so you'd be ready for it. I'm curious if you tried that.
                      When I did long distance races on the 70-foot ultralights, sleep was pretty easy since we were exhausted from nonstop sail trimming, etc. But the worst was the bunks aft, located under the huge winches. The noise from the constant winch trimming overhead was really loud. We always gave those berths to the new guys on the crew and the rest of us slept farther forward.

It's me (Menehune Man) talking in the video!
                      Dolango's YouTube Channel... http://www.youtube.com/user/dolango
                      Thanks for posting that!!! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      MM, this is first time I've had to review the pictures because of a sloooooow Internet connection for the last month. Question I have is why the reef in the main in what looks like very light conditions?
                      I assume you mean this photo of his? You're asking a good question. I see a few whitecaps but nowhere near enough to indicate high winds, plus the seas look pretty flat too. A lot us reef just before sundown as a safety precaution (unless we're racing), but MM's photo looks like it's the middle of the day. I'll be curious to see his answer to your question.

Comment

Howzit guys!
                        Okay... here we go.

We averaged over 100 miles a day and since we're not racers... we cruised alot!
                        So reefed main was fine for us most of the time and didn't push the rig or us too hard.

I enjoyed my watches and they worked out well for us. (12-4)(4-8)(8-12)

It was cloudy/voggy as we approached the Big Island so I didn't notice any green.

Kolohe is now at Keehi Marine Center. They put him in A7 instead of B7 though.

Yes I did sleep in shorter bouts before leaving and think it did help.

Thanks for asking the questions!

Comment

The Fiji Voyaging Society's canoe named "Uto Ni Yalo" is headed for Hawaii!
                          http://www.fijivoyaging.com/

I believe they already left Auckland, New Zealand?!

Comment

Here's a link to their(Fijian Voyaging Society) FaceBook page...
                            http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...y/310269142507

Hope it gets updates!

Comment

This is the best answer I can come up with to... "Where did you turn right off the Baja coast?"

We headed out as we went south along Baja and at what latitude we ready headed west, I'm not sure. South of Guadalupe Island though.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_Island

Comment

We headed out as we went south along Baja and at what latitude we ready headed west, I'm not sure. South of Guadalupe Island though.
                                This is interesting. You came down the Baja Coast about halfway. Now you are in MY cruising territory. Had you proceeded another 50 miles south, it would have put you in Bahia Tortuga where every year, the first week in November, close to 200 boats in the Baja Haha congregate for 3 days of fun and party.

My starting point will be Lands End in Cabo about 400 miles south of where you turned out. I will have a bit different heading than you but will gradually close on your course. However, I will head straight for the Molokai Channel rather than Hilo. I will do about 175 miles a day if I have weather like you had. I figure about 16 to 18 days to cross.

Watch schedule: Uaifi insists on galley duty - food prep and clean up and she gets 3 hours watch duty credit for that and the sweetheart schedule at the helm - 8 to 11pm and 5 to 8am (plus she has an iron stomach!). The other two crewmen will have a total of 9 hours of watch - one 3 hour watch at night and then negotiable watches between 8am and 8 pm. However, uaifi usually volunteers to take an extra hour or two during the day so the other crew can take an extra long nap. I like to sleep in the master birth in the bow although it can get a little bouncy there at times compared to a settee in the saloon at the stern. But listening to the rush of water and gurgle at the bow puts me right to sleep.

Good stuff!

What kind of shape is Keehi Marina in right now?

Comment

Working...
                                X