Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sailing-Hawaii connection?

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Here's a video taken of landfall somewhere's along the sailing trip of these canoes. Haven't found anything on their arrival in Hilo yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/pwTWa9Iv7V8&hl=en&fs=1&
    The arrival story (and one photo) is in today's Star-Advertiser at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

"Seven voyaging canoes are expected to make landfall in Hawaii after setting sail from the Marquesas Islands earlier this month.

Ohana Wa’a, an alliance of Hawaii’s voyaging organizations, says in a news release the canoes are expected to arrive at Hilo Bay Thursday. (TODAY!)

The canoes represent Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, New Aotearoa, New Guinea, Vanuatu, Kiribati and the Solomon Islands.

The fleet set sail from Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas Islands.

The canoes are expected to go to Oahu next week. (Yippee!)"

When they come to Oahu, they'll be at Kualoa/Hakipuu side.
      Near Chinaman's Hat (Mokoli'i Island).
      This is what I've heard...
      ETA for Kualoa is Friday with big welcoming ceremonies!
      Then the canoes will sail to Honolulu. I figure but am not sure that they'll be on the Keehi Lagoon park side? Believe ETA is set for Sunday 6/26.
      That afternoon is the Hawai'iloa Fundraiser Event held @ Bishop Museum too!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The most recent story and schedule is in today's paper, viewable online at this link.

Comment

Thanks Likanui!!!

"Canoe fleet commodore Magnus Danbolt said the crews plan to arrive on Maui at Hanakaoo Beach in Kaanapali early this morning, after leaving Hilo Tuesday.

The fleet is scheduled to arrive at Kaunakakai on Thursday and leave Molokai Friday and hold a welcoming ceremony open to the public at Kualoa beach at 9 a.m. Saturday.

The crews plan to leave Oahu on July 6 for Kauai, then head for San Francisco on July 10.

Other scheduled stops include San Francisco on Aug. 10; Monterey, Calif., on Aug. 16; Los Angeles on Aug. 26; and San Diego on Sept. 4, where it plans to spend the winter before leaving Jan. 30 to return to New Zealand via Marquesas and Tahiti."

Comment

This is what I've heard...
            1) ETA for Kualoa is Friday with big welcoming ceremonies!

2) Then the canoes will sail to Honolulu. I figure but am not sure that they'll be on the Keehi Lagoon park side? Believe ETA is set for Sunday 6/26.

3) That afternoon is the Hawai'iloa Fundraiser Event held @ Bishop Museum too!
            1) Incorrect info! Saturday 6/25 instead.
            2) Not listed on schedule so maybe incorrect also.
            3) Bet lots of the crew members will be there!

Comment

I just received a phone call from Mrs. Menehune.
              She and a few other Fijian women are out at Kualoa's 'Secret Island' which is on the Hakipu'u side. She told me she sees a couple of sailing canoes coming in!

I'll head out early tomorrow morning for the festivities!

Comment

I'll head out early tomorrow morning for the festivities!
                I've only got one word for you:

PHOTOS!!!

Please.

Okay, that's two words.

Comment

I found a terrific video of the welcoming festivities in Hilo!
                  Neat to think I arrived at Radio Bay from California not too long ago (March).
                  Something along these lines will happen 10 hours from now at Kualoa!
                  http://www.hawaii247.com/2011/06/21/...ic-expedition/

See ya there!!!

Comment

What an incredible day!
                    We met lots of folks, but mainly hung out with the Fijians(of course).
                    I got out to Kualoa by bus at 7am. Think I was excited about getting there? HaHa!
                    Great protocols, presentations, entertainment, food, weather - occasional light rains but not enough to dampen anyone's spirits, and all around sharing.

The canoes sailed overnight to the UH Marine studies compound at Sand Island, Keehi Lagoon. They'll stay there till they depart for California around July 7th.

I've got over 100 photos to go through, rename, upload and then will share!

Comment

j7 by Menehune Man, on Flickr
                      My favorite shot of the boats!

And a Flickr set of the day!

I'm headed to the Bishop Museum soon for today's fundraiser event for Hawai'iloa.

Comment

Thanks, MM! I enjoyed looking at the whole set! Well done.

Comment

Went to Don's boat "Kolohe" this morning and she's fine.

I had extra ulterior motives to go though...
                          The 7 voyaging canoes and support vessels are just past the Sand Island bridge. They'll be sailing for Kauai on Tuesday July 5th. So if you wish to see them, make it soon!

Canoes 1 by Menehune Man, on Flickr

Canoes @ Sand Island and Kolohe too!

Comment

When I got home from work Friday night... my wife told me that we got an invitation to a couple hour sail aboard Uto Ni Yalo Saturday. Would I like to go?
                            Oh yeah! we had a blast and even ate with them before heading off to work last night.

Polynesian Voyaging by Menehune Man, on Flickr

Uto Ni Yalo Sail 7/02/2011

Comment

They've left Kauai and are on their way to San Francisco; due there around August 8. The latest update, plus a video, is on Latitude 38's website at http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...7-13&dayid=608 .
                              There's also an update on the TransPac race there. The fleet is about halfway through, but the wind has gone very light. Bummer! Also check out the fleet tracks, as they're scattered all over the place, both above and below the rhumb line.

Comment

This morning the first arrivals of 2011 Transpac race passed Diamond Head!
                                youtube.com=local_news

Comment

Working...
                                X