Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC TV "Off the Map"

ABC to produce another Hawaii-based series

ABC announced today that it will produce a new prime-time medical drama in Hawaii, giving the state's film industry two network TV series at the same time.

The network announcement to film "Off the Map" in the islands comes less than a month after CBS announced the remake of "Hawaii Five-0."
    This thread is for the discussion of this new show.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: ABC TV "Off the Map"

Hopefully this series won't air on Monday night at 9pm HST.

From the Star Advertiser article:

The new series is described by the network as "an uplifting medical drama" about a group of doctors in a remote clinic in the Amazon.
    So I suspect we might be seeing parts of Oahu passing as the Amazon rain forest.

Comment

Once Lost wrapped, ABC continued to pay rent on the film studio in anticipation of Off the Map. Five-0 continues to look for space.

Comment

The ABC web site has an entry to the series Off the Map which also contains a 2 minute clip of the series.

While the ABC site doesn't say it out right, the series is meant to be a midseason replacement.

Comment

More on the new ABC TV show:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ml?mobile=true

So I just looked at the preview reel. Was that shot in Hawaii or elsewhere. Anyone know if this series filmed their pilot here.
          Last edited by mel; June 17, 2010, 05:54 AM.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I saw somewhere the pilot was shot in Puerto Rico - but ABC still opted to come back to HI for location shooting - citing in part great crews, great co-op from the state film office, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
              I saw somewhere the pilot was shot in Puerto Rico - but ABC still opted to come back to HI for location shooting - citing in part great crews, great co-op from the state film office, etc.
              Yes, Puerto Rico. The film office commendation was of interest to me because we no longer have a dedicated state film office as of last December. So Lost/ABC did receive excellent support from the film office for almost the entire 6 seasons. Lost co-exec. producer, Jean Higgins, even testified in support of keeping the film office. That said, I haven't heard any horror stories regarding the new filming procedures at the state level. The C&C film office is still intact but, iirc, it will be affected by the twice a month furloughs. That could pose lots of problems for productions.

Comment

Promos airing during V says that Off the Map starts on January 12, 2011. Well it least it will not air against Hawaii Five-0.
                Last edited by helen; January 4, 2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

So, did anyone watch this? I forgot about it.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I saw bits and pieces (stuff going on in the house at the same time) and plan to rewatch on DVR. Seems to me it's got possibilities, but it may take a while to catch on - no really strong well-known (to me) actors. For those of us in Hawaii who follow made-in-Hawaii shows, the Kualoa and China Walls productions sites may be starting to become overused or too familiar?

Comment

It was pretty gruesome and had no connection with Hawaii except the background scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        [...]For those of us in Hawaii who follow made-in-Hawaii shows, the Kualoa and China Walls productions sites may be starting to become overused or too familiar?
                        This is my thought, too. The show's concept pretty much limits locations to jungles and beaches.
                        Originally posted by Albert View Post
                        It was pretty gruesome and had no connection with Hawaii except the background scenery.
                        Yep, gruesome! I just don't like watching blood and guts shows or movies. Albert, the show isn't supposed to have any connection to Hawaii. It's set in South America which is why exterior locations will be limited.

Still, I watched the show and think it has potential. I liked learning about the background of some of the characters. But, all the medicos are gorgeous which is unrealistic to me. Must admit I was splitting my time between the tv show and the lightning show so I'll need to watch it again via my DVR.

Has anyone heard the ratings?

Comment

Local review:
                          http://www.honolulupulse.com/movies-...tv-off-the-map
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Some kind of Obama thing screwed with the ratings in the mainland. Watched neither. Sites report 7.5 million viewers.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/13/di...miere-ratings/

http://www.honolulupulse.com/events/...o-a-good-start

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...usted-up/78550

Looks like the show got special placement tonight following Grey's Anatomy.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-tonight/78526

Still did not watch it.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Not likely this show will develop as much of a Hawaii following as LOST and/or 5-0 - since, as has been pointed out, the storyline has nothing to do with Hawaii, and the locations are pretty much confined to mountains or coastline - which means the crews/actors will rarely be seen in public doing their thing. Esp in the case of 5-0, sometimes it's hard to turn a corner and NOT run into a location shoot - they're all over the island and very visible.

Comment

Working...
                              X